Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Anyone thought of tyring a giant scale airplane motor in a 1/5th scale car or truck?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Anyone thought of tyring a giant scale airplane motor in a 1/5th scale car or truck?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 12:44 PM
joshreynolds777
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone thought of tyring a giant scale airplane motor in a 1/5th scale car or truck?

Might be a nightmare to figure out how to mount but, .. just wondering
Old 08-27-2009, 01:36 PM
dc2 man
Banned

Default RE: Anyone thought of tyring a giant scale airplane motor in a 1/5th scale car or truck?

cooling it would be the problem,it would be differnt to do it as im sure not many has tried it but i wouldnt see any hp gains from doing it as opposed to running a normal zenoah offroad motor in the 1/5th to begin with.

the problem is the airplane engine relies on the propellor for additional cooling as the engine is positioned that way in the plane,i dont know i could see a few complications with engine flywheel position,not so much a cooling problem but engine crank/exhaust/flywheel postion as you say mounting it could be the killer.

and if it was finally mounted successfuly what was the purpose of doing it in the first place?
Old 08-27-2009, 04:18 PM
raptor 8

Default RE: Anyone thought of tyring a giant scale airplane motor in a 1/5th scale car or truck?

Knight Research is making a kit to sell with a 60cc zen gas motor. The vid's look sweet. Torque like crazy. The kit's he is going to be selling are for the hpi baja 5b&t.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:43 PM
raptor 8

Here is a description for ya, hope this helps.

http://www.hpibajaforum.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=57002
Old 08-27-2009, 05:02 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

A big engine like a 60cc would have a ton of torque but the RPM would be low I would think you would get poor acceleration and top speed. I have seen people try bigger nitro airplane engines in nitro cars but not with favorable results. Now if you want it for pulling stumps would be good but all around running I think you would be better with an engine made for a car. This is why some of the kits make for a Savages with big engines never went over well.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:29 PM
savagecommander

if you read up they make 5hp without a pipe and rev past 15k on a scooter. too many people think a motor that revvs is better than one that doesnt.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:16 PM
46u

ORIGINAL: savagecommander
too many people think a motor that revvs is better than one that doesnt.

If the RC vehicles we are running had 3 speed or maybe even 2 speed transmission then lower RPMs would not be as big of a concern. But if you take two single speed RC vehicles that are identical down to gearing which one would be faster the higher RPM engine or the one with lower RPM? If you cannot figure this one out ask.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:36 PM
46u

I read the whole thread on HBF and if what they are saying is true it will be a beast. Lets see how it pans out.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:31 AM
dc2 man
Banned

yes and that thread is at a stand still.......because they finally found out that there are no extra benifits to be had with a big engine like that,who are they fooling?? themselves lol

big engine= big torque

how much torque are they talknig about,its going to = the same result as a small engine geared for good top end and good low down........all they are going to end up with is an engine that has awesome bottom with tall gearing, how much bottom end can any car handle before top end needle comes in to play? so it quickly brings you back to the top end power,bottom end is just a blip of the throttle then top end is the decider on the level of power/speed.

i cant see it working out any better than any good smaller displacment engine on the market......

only so much torque that can be handled on these things really.

still with his supposedly awesome low down torque any engine could be geared to run same down to 20cc.....

only my opinion.

i could be very wrong......
hope it works for them.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:19 AM
milligan

A waste of time an $$,A 30.5 would own that thing and $1k for a little more torq come on!!
Old 07-10-2010, 10:20 AM
dmowery

Yoy guys just need a standard 230 Zenoah for fast git up and go or the 260 for a bit more tourque but slower to wind out and both have more power than FG or china 1/5 cars can handle
-besides ya cant run in any ROAR events with them bigger motors
Been there done all that and have trophys tto prove it
Old 07-10-2010, 10:54 AM
mooman007uk

my made in china nutech handles my OBR 27.2 full mod +vrc pro, no problem
what i'm waiting for is the 4 stroke motors to be properly sorted so they make power..sooner or later our 2 strokes will totally disappear thanks to the tiny minority of tree huggers and that wanker Al Gore, so a new era is approaching... imagine a 40cc blown 4 stroke with a straight pipe[sm=tongue_smile.gif]
Old 07-10-2010, 06:29 PM
Mudgy

ORIGINAL: mooman007uk

imagine a 40cc blown 4 stroke with a straight pipe[sm=tongue_smile.gif]

yeh baby!