Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Large scale "Clone" forum

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 10:14 AM
Wicked!!
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Large scale "Clone" forum

This is not meant to start anything as I am hoping it would actually get rid of it all.

IF you look at the main page of forums RCU has about a million, Why not make a Large scale and a Clone large scale???? Or now that 1/5 has taken off huge they can even start breaking it up into categories, Buggies, Monster trucks, etc. I find I avoid RCU allot because of the clone talk and all the advertising posts. You guys know the ones I am talking about one right now has over a 1000 views.

I think RCU could have a more organized way of handling 1/5 scale and would probably get allot more members, which would bring allot more valuable info here then the handful of people right now who actually know what they are talking about.

Again this shouldn't piss off anyone. If you want to buy a clone thats your right, if you want to buy the real thing then thats your right also.

Opinions???
Old 08-28-2009, 11:12 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Large scale

Good idea but I do not think it will change anything or not much.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:05 PM
frumpy

ORIGINAL: 46u

Good idea but I do not think it will change anything or not much.

+1 I agree[]
Old 08-28-2009, 02:41 PM
Lars from Norway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Wicked!!
Why not make a Large scale and a Clone large scale????

Opinions???
Then there will be less,or none,activity on the Large Scale-partI think it is ok as it is now.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:51 PM
dc2 man
Banned

i second lars.

lars good point,god these largescale forums are very quite as it is,so if any changes were made i think nobody would bother.

i think its pretty well organised as it is.

nothing wrong with advertising,its nice to have something to look at aftr logging in lol

as i say quite enough at times,so nothing wrong with some advertising either......

this is a largescale part of the forum here so any thing 1/5th related cant be a bad thing.

i say leave as is,just imo
Old 08-28-2009, 04:55 PM
speedypetey61

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's not broke, don't try and fix it.
I think it would confuse things for some people, more importantly, I would not split the forum up for a clone section.
Remember one thing, all those ideas stolen from the true manufacturer to make those so called clones, are found in our forum.
Guys running clones are usually somewhat noobs and learn there 5th scale knowledge from us.

Keep it as is or get a real 5th scale....lol
Old 08-28-2009, 05:11 PM
Wicked!!

Guys what you have to understand is that most real 5B owners want to be with 5B owners. I really don't care about clones the way I don't care about revos, or t maxxs.

I just think that keeping the real baja owners and the cloners apart would be good for the forum. Real baja owners would probably come back knowing there with the guys who like them paid to be in this hobby.

BTW Speedy it is broken. This forum now has more clone and junk 1/5 scale in it then the good stuff. Thats broken my friend.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:15 PM
BigGrump

If the goal was to break up the Giant Scale Cars forum, then I think it should be done like in the other major catagory forums.. Keep the Giant Scale Cars forum then have some sub forums according to the brands that can support one. Then the main Giant Scale Cars forum would be generic and the speciality ones would be seperate.

So, if you are wanting to avoid seeing anything about a clone car, and for instance you like HPI, then just have a HPI sub forum. If there was a very popular named clone, then there could be a sub forum for that.

I think it would be pretty hard though, to eliminate all things "cloned" from the general forum because so many of the aftermarket parts items would be considered clone like.

I have an idea, there are pleanty of clone brands owners that might really enjoy the peace and quite of not having to hear from those folks that are so envious.

Dennis
Old 08-28-2009, 05:27 PM
Wicked!!

ORIGINAL: BigGrump

If the goal was to break up the Giant Scale Cars forum, then I think it should be done like in the other major catagory forums.. Keep the Giant Scale Cars forum then have some sub forums according to the brands that can support one. Then the main Giant Scale Cars forum would be generic and the speciality ones would be seperate.

So, if you are wanting to avoid seeing anything about a clone car, and for instance you like HPI, then just have a HPI sub forum. If there was a very popular named clone, then there could be a sub forum for that.

I think it would be pretty hard though, to eliminate all things ''cloned'' from the general forum because so many of the aftermarket parts items would be considered clone like.

I have an idea, there are pleanty of clone brands owners that might really enjoy the peace and quite of not having to hear from those folks that are so envious.

Dennis
You know dood I was agreeing with your post all the way threw till that last sentence. And right there you made my point. Thank you.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:03 PM
Foxy

Just because you don't like the clone talk, and a few advertisers slip the net sometimes, we need to split the forum? You can't be serious.

In fact I couldn't disagree more with pretty much everything in your original post.

The RCU Giant scale forum thrives (and it does thrive despite a couple of comments that it's slow. We turn half a page of threads each day. That's pretty good as forums go) at the moment. The only forums I frequent which have less members and move faster, are car enthusiast forums, but they have literally 1/20th as many sections.

Also, clones.... the word, clone. Means it's a copy of a current product, which means people who own clones can benefit from the knowledge of owners, and vice versa on many occasions. Nitro monster trucks are the most popular vehicles in RC, wouldn't you say? Our monster truck section is broken up into brand sections, some of which move very slowly, while others move very fast. If you ask me, it would be better if some of the sub-forums were re-conglomerated. As long as the topics stay coherent (and I hope nobody would suggest that I'm not doing my job of ensuring that to the best of my ability), the forum does well. You shoulda seen it 3 years ago. Seriously.

You asked for my opinion.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:13 PM
SAVAGEJIM

This is my input as a fellow RCU member. I for one support the idea and ask RCU do consider it. If it happens, that is great, but if it doesnt, oh well, at least I asked for it and am not one of those guys who griped but didnt do a thing (kind of like a guy who doesnt vote but gets mad about who is elected).

I remeber a couple of years ago some of the nitro clone guys got way too mad over an opinion a mod made which was not even a stab at the nitro clone brand he mentioned. All of those clone fans (bandwagoning and fanboyism on their part, so bandwagoning and fanboyism does not always happen with name brand fans) came out of where they normally hang out and caused all sorts of hell; reporting the post when they should not have, going on the forums and spewing their anger everywhere. It got to the point that no less than two other mods had to intervene in several threads. The nitro cloe fans went back to their forum and eventually settled down. But if they were forced to integrate in intermix with the name brand guys, the wounds would have stayed open for alot longer.

In this case, having the separate forums buffered a firestrom that would have erupted several more times.

I always hear "Why do you large scale guys gripe about clones vs name brand all the time? The nitro and electrics do not have this problem!" The reason is because separating the two sides keeps that from happening.

I will not forget that incident, and those nitro clone fans actually held ill feelings for that mod for a long time. That mod seriously got an unfair rap and I personnally would not be surprised if that is one of the reasons why I think he stepped down from being a mod (I do not know all the details, so let it be clear this is only my guess and not my claim as to what actually happened with him and his decision).
Old 08-29-2009, 02:01 AM
bentley marshall

clones are here to stay i say get over it if ya dont like it !!!!

there are some great cars coming out of china now

just look at the redcats/homoto and the nutech tb2 .....
Old 08-29-2009, 05:33 AM
Foxy

The TB2 is an original.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:57 AM
tgwolfwood1981

you know, this really disappoints me. i have been in rc for.....well as long as i can remember. and the best part about rc (in my opinion) has been the comradery. i have been into onroad, off road, 1/12, 1/10, 1/8, 1/5, planes, helos..well you get the point. and to come onto what has always been a great forum and see people trying to segregate due to cloning. thats just sad. anyone who has see two or more 1/5 scale (of any brand) running at the same time should realize that just being able to be apart of such an awesome sector in rc is special. anyone who wants to separate groups of people due to what they buy has no reasson being in the rc community. for me and my friends it has never been about what you have or how much it cost. it was always about having fun and enjoying the best parts about being in this great hobby. I am an owner of both an hpi and a clone. and i will tell you i don't have a favorite. so shame on anyone who wants to separate groups of rc'ers due to what the own.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:39 AM
hndaman1
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: tgwolfwood1981

you know, this really disappoints me. i have been in rc for.....well as long as i can remember. and the best part about rc (in my opinion) has been the comradery. i have been into onroad, off road, 1/12, 1/10, 1/8, 1/5, planes, helos..well you get the point. and to come onto what has always been a great forum and see people trying to segregate due to cloning. thats just sad. anyone who has see two or more 1/5 scale (of any brand) running at the same time should realize that just being able to be apart of such an awesome sector in rc is special. anyone who wants to separate groups of people due to what they buy has no reason being in the rc community. for me and my friends it has never been about what you have or how much it cost. it was always about having fun and enjoying the best parts about being in this great hobby. I am an owner of both an hpi and a clone. and i will tell you i don't have a favorite. so shame on anyone who wants to separate groups of rc'ers due to what the own.
Well said , and I could not agree more..[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 08-29-2009, 12:48 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: bentley marshall

clones are here to stay i say get over it if ya dont like it !!!!
Noone is saying they clones are not, but statements like these only rub it in the face of those who might disagree.

Most name brand guys are not looking for fights even if they disagree with clones. Many of them simply have left RCU instead of saying what they believe. Likewise, there are several notable clone fans who too have left RCU as well.
When I say "leave," I mean they do not post anymore; they have not necessarily closed their RCU accounts.

I can see what Wicked is suggesting. And having a specific sub-forum can bring back those who dont post in RCU anymore.
He is not suggesting a seggregation of clones and name brand, just sub-forums for each to discuss specifically those RCs, and even a place for each side to go to and settle down in if a firestorm arises.
A general Giant Scale Forum is where everyone can still congregate together. I for one will congregate still in a general Giant Scale Forum and help all in need equally, clone fans and real deal fans.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:42 PM
Wicked!!

Exactly SavageJim!!

Its not closing the forum to clones its just splitting them up. It gives the clone guys a place to talk about there buggies and baja guys can be with baja guys. Monster trucks can be with monster trucks.

I feel the large scale market is big enough now to do that.

And IMO the only ones that would be oppose to this would be the ones who want to argue either or sides. The guys who like to bash on the clones, or the clone guys who like to bash on the baja guys who paid more money.

It seems like this is not going to go anywere but the next time there is a clone bashing rant going on........
Old 08-29-2009, 04:38 PM
mbe301

So if everyone kept the bashing were it should be (not on the forums) this would be a non-issue.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:28 PM
Wicked!!

LOL... Pretty much.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:14 PM
Johnnysplits

Well, I dont see the big deal about buying a clone. Im getting ready to buy a KM baja. The way I see it, if you are gonna replace like 90% of the parts with better aftermarket pieces, then why spend $800 + for a "real" baja when you can get the clone for half of that price and get a jump on all the mods. It seems that our poor economy has not affected many people here, but it certainly did for me. I'll save where I can save. Am I gonna have less fun with my clone than with the real thing?? With all the stuff im gonna swap out of it, you'll never know the difference as I pass you in turn 3 LOL
Old 08-30-2009, 06:30 PM
SAVAGEJIM

The point of this thread is not why to buy a clone or why to buy the real deal, there is already another thread talking about that.
Also, no one is not telling you not to buy a clone here.

The original thought of this thread is to ask about setting up sub-forums for clone brands and up forums for real deal RCs.

I dont mean to sound harsh, and the last thing I want to do is make you feel bad. I apologize if I have.

It's just that I do not want this thread to become a real deal vs clone thread when the intent of this thread is not such and when the OP never meant it to offend anyone; he was only trying to provide what he thinks is a possible solution to prevent such cone vs real deal confrontations.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:10 PM
Johnnysplits

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

The point of this thread is not why to buy a clone or why to buy the real deal, there is already another thread talking about that.
Also, no one is not telling you not to buy a clone here.

The original thought of this thread is to ask about setting up sub-forums for clone brands and up forums for real deal RCs.

I dont mean to sound harsh, and the last thing I want to do is make you feel bad. I apologize if I have.

It's just that I do not want this thread to become a real deal vs clone thread when the intent of this thread is not such and when the OP never meant it to offend anyone; he was only trying to provide what he thinks is a possible solution to prevent such cone vs real deal confrontations.
no prob [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 08-31-2009, 09:51 AM
laganm21

I really like the sub forum idea, as it sit now its just Gaint scale that means any thing 1/6th scale of bigger , planes to helis, to cars, trucks, even the crazy tanks guys , it would be nice to just click on Gaint scale monster truck, to search and review on just monster trucks That my 2 cents
Old 08-31-2009, 09:55 AM
Blitzer Fan

ORIGINAL: laganm21

I really like the sub forum idea, as it sit now its just Gaint scale that means any thing 1/6th scale of bigger , planes to helis, to cars, trucks, even the crazy tanks guys , it would be nice to just click on Gaint scale monster truck, to search and review on just monster trucks That my 2 cents
but this is a "RC Giant Scale Cars" but I'm not really against this idea, its like the section for RC Electric Helicopters is split between brands. Then again I like this part of the forum as it is.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:30 PM
On2_n_On4

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL

c'mon people, this is a HOBBY!
I wonder how many of those haters will actually say (in person) all those stupid comments they write on the internet.

They like to call their cars "hobby grade cars". Dont use the word "toy",, thats an insult!!
...but then again, they are acting like kids. [&o]

So.... should RCU also have a separate section for all the people that dont use proper grammar because english isnt their first language?
cause I can see theres a lot of BS going on with that issue >> [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9052396/tm.htm]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9052396/tm.htm[/link]

I say, GROW UP, treat people the way you want to be treated and enjoy the hobby

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.