Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

thinking about 1/5 off road, here are some of my thoughts.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

thinking about 1/5 off road, here are some of my thoughts.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 08:19 PM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default thinking about 1/5 off road, here are some of my thoughts.

HPI baja 5b or T,

Redcat rampage truck

Did duratrax quite selling their trucks

Maybe you guys could name a few brands.

I looked at clones on ebay for bajas and some people are going to be paying fairly close to the real deal, well within a couple hundred, So I have been thinking the real thing might be better, but then again I have heard a lot of praise for the clones except for their motors.

One thing stopping me is its a lot of money for something I can't drive
Old 10-06-2009, 08:49 PM
AntCamp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: thinking about 1/5 off road, here are some of my thoughts.

Budget is very important! Large scale rc cars come in a wide range of prices! I personally would not consider a clone but that is my opinion! I currently own a HPI 5T and a MCD pre evo Racerunner. huge difference in price between the two. MCD is 4x4 and not a great basher also was approx. $2200 when i originally purchased it. 5T is a great basher from what I can tell. Its also 2wd which is much harder to drive than 4wd but sometimes its more fun because of that. The 5t is also alot less $$$ at around $1300 ready to run!
Old 10-06-2009, 08:55 PM
SAVAGEJIM

HPI 5B SS kit is what I personally recommend, especially if you already have a better radio (2.4GHz) from your other RCs. And this kit is about $850USD or even less when you shop around.

If you want 4WD for a similar price, the Rampage is available in RTR form, or I believe you can ask Rob form Rampage Hop Ups to order a roller for you (no engine, no radio).

Other options are FG 2WD MT or buggy, ARTR (no radio, but assembled).

If you have the money, you can get an MCD MT, these are 4WD, but they are considerably more expensive. But of course, these are very nicely crafted RCs with high quality plastics and alum.

Now, if you decide to go with a clone, demand from the seller that the clones he sells are legal clone. What I mean by that is the clone factory pays proper royalties to the original company of the original RC. Make him prove to you he is not selling you an illicit (illegal) clone; ask him such things like if he is an authorized dealer/seller/distributor.
Also, do not be shy about contacting the company of the real RC and asking them if the clone RC is a legal copy and not an illicit copy. And then, ask them if they heard of the guys selling the clones and if the sellers themselves are legitimate sellers and not illegal importers or at the very least, unapproved sellers.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:52 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FG all the way in the RTR/ARTR price brackets.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:01 AM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: silverman1

HPI baja 5b or T,

Redcat rampage truck

Did duratrax quite selling their trucks

Maybe you guys could name a few brands.

I looked at clones on ebay for bajas and some people are going to be paying fairly close to the real deal, well within a couple hundred, So I have been thinking the real thing might be better, but then again I have heard a lot of praise for the clones except for their motors.

One thing stopping me is its a lot of money for something I can't drive

I think the first question should be
How much cash do you want to spend?
if you only have 500bucks then...
and if you have 2gs then....