Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

HELP!! Should I buy this BAJA 5B SS??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

HELP!! Should I buy this BAJA 5B SS??

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 11:36 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HELP!! Should I buy this BAJA 5B SS??

The weather was not good to say the least or there would have been more show up. Rain and cold all 3 days.

Before the race

After the race
Old 10-24-2009, 11:40 PM
46u

Not near as many large sale tracks as there is 1/8. I use to race 1/8 and have only been in to large scale since first of the year. We only have one large scale track in the state of Georgia where we have 7 or 8 small scale tracks. I LOVE to race and if all I could do is bash I would give up the hobby and all most did till I started to race.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:43 PM
blackyz250

Lol damn, are they hard to work on? I'll have to ask him if hes done any upgrades and then let you know. These parts you mentioned can you point me in the right direction? Also, do you think there pretty fast? I know that he did put a custom pipe on it not sure what kind but it runs along side the so call passenge side of the baja. Have you hear of such a pipe?
Old 10-24-2009, 11:45 PM
blackyz250

Sweet ***** Baja! Looks like you had fun.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:52 PM
blackyz250

I can see why. I would love to get into racing but, I haven't been able to locate a track here in Lawrenceburg, In it sucks. I do love to bash though. I just got in to this hobby about a month and a half ago only cause my brother-in-law who has termial cancer bought one. I tried his out and fell in love with the hobby. Now I'm like a crack addic needing a fix when it comes to rc MT's or anything rc thathas to do with dirt LOL.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:54 PM
blackyz250

Cool! thx for the links...
Old 10-24-2009, 11:57 PM
46u

I am guessing a stock version one will run around 35 MPH maybe more. Now there are things that you can do to increase that. I have seen some Baja that will run 70 MPH. Being a off road racer all out speed is not the prim concern.
Kill switch there are several different one but the number 4 kit is a good one. scroll down the page till you come to it. Kent the owner is a great person and will help any way he can.
http://www.rckillswitch.com/products/products.php
Alloy diff case
http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...it.A/id.274/.f
Then a 12x24x6mm bearing
Old 10-25-2009, 12:01 AM
46u

This is off Kent s web site about the kill switch in the FAQ. I will not takethe chande and even start mine with out one.
http://www.rckillswitch.com/faq/faq.php

Q: I have a failsafe. Why do I need a kill switch?
A: A failsafe is certainly a good thing to have, and I recommend that you use a failsafe. The more protection, the better. But a failsafe alone is just not good enough. With a failsafe you still have many loopholes that can cause a runaway. The receiver can fail, the battery can die, the servo can go bad, the throttle linkage can bind or become loose, the carburetor can freeze. In those instances a failsafe will not stop your 30 pound large scale R/C vehicle from running away and causing major damage. When you add a Killer Bee kill switch you have a “watchdog†that will not let your engine run unless it senses that there is a good radio signal at all times. You can also manually kill your engine at any time if you see that something is wrong with your R/C. It is also very convenient to have a kill switch for engine tuning, checking spark plug color at high RPMs. And it’s just nice to be able to pull your R/C into the pit and kill the engine via the transmitter, and not have to reach down and press the kill button.
Note: On Spektrum brand radios it is very important that you reset the built-in failsafe after you install a kill switch. Because of how the Spektrum radios work the kill switch needs the failsafe to be set in order to kill the engine if you loose radio signal. For most newer Spektrum radios just rebind the receiver and transmitter, and hold the aux channel button in the off position during the failsafe resetting mode.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:03 AM
blackyz250

The plastic diff housing is it the same as SS alloy one? The bearing inside the transmission on the gear shaft is there room to add this bearing or do I need to get something else along with it? Also, are all the 5B SS interchangeable with the 5B do you know?Sorry for all the questions bro. I really appreciate all the info you have given me so far.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:10 AM
46u

The only difference between the two diff housing is one is plastic and one is alloy. Even on the Savage they use to have plastic diff housings. Plastic flexes and can cause the diff gears to strip. I am all most sure all you need is the bearing for the gear shaft from what I have read. Mine is a 5b SS kit. Have you ever gone to HPI Baja Forum site?
Old 10-25-2009, 12:19 AM
blackyz250

Thanks for the links bro...
Old 10-25-2009, 12:21 AM
blackyz250

Interesting! I wonder if this will work with the tranmitter that came with the car. Pretty cool concept.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:27 AM
blackyz250

That's cool! I was checking out the prices not too bad. You said you had is a 5b SS kit was this an upgrade you add or is your's is a 5b SS? No, I haven't been to the Baja Forum site I'll have to check it out.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:30 AM
46u

Do not know if the radio that came with it is 3 channel. A 20 plus pound RC car during a runaway can do some serious damage and if it hits someones personal property or worse a person could be a law suit. This is one up grade I will not do with out. The other items can wait for a while but not a kill switch. There is one guy in one of the forums that lost his whole Baja in the ocean because he did not have a kill switch![X(]
Old 10-25-2009, 12:33 AM
46u

No the kill switch did not come with my SS kit but in my opinion all large scales should come with one. Could save a lot of money in the long run. I have all ways said it is not if you are going to have a run away but when.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:35 AM
blackyz250

Not sure, I email him though and he hasn't relied yet. I can only amagine the damage which that would really suck! I really don't need to be suide. That sucks that he lose his Baja really sucks!
Old 10-25-2009, 12:38 AM
blackyz250

What did come with you kit and whay was the kit for?Whay type of Baja do you have?
Old 10-25-2009, 12:39 AM
46u

Here is a list of most of the up grades I have. This does not include the 3 engines I am building or all the spare parts I have. When I go race I take just about enough parts to build a whole other 5b.

HPI Baja 5B SS Kit

Team Associated throttle brake
DS1015 servo
201oz
0.108 speed

Turtle Racing
Complete Clutch System (Orange)

Turtle Racing
HD Tranny Plate (Orange)

Threshold
Shock Umbrella Seals with installation tool

Turtle Racing
Heavy Duty Front Chassis Brace

HPI
Front tire molded foams

washers for e clip conversion

Fast Eddie
Wheel Shim Kit

Scorpion Chassis Brace Satin

Pro-Match 6v 4200mAh Hump Receiver Battery

FF Front/Side Windows Smoked

Killer RC kill switch

Outerwares pull starter cover

PhatDad Fan Cover Saver

Nomadio RX

Quick Release Roll Cage Tubes

Pro-line Bow-Tie Rear Tire Set With Blue Foam Inserts

Hostile Mini MX Tire Soft

Lauterbacher 4 shoe adjustable off road clutch

Outlaw RC upper rear turnbuckles

HPI 87454 Engine mount brace set CF

Team Phat Dad
Front stainless steering turnbuckle set

87549 - HPI HD front aluminum shock mount

CPI Tuned Pipe

Full Force CF brake disc and alloy pads

HPI 87572 alloy heavy duty brake mount

CraftWerks-RC Billet Spur Gear Carrier

Team FastEddy Complete Bearing kit

HPI Heavy Duty 20T Drive Gear 86487

HPI Heavy-Duty Idle Gear 30 Tooth 86485

HPI Heavy Duty Differential Gear 48T:Baja 85481

Skunkworks Titanium Lay shaft

Multiplex Rhino Digi 4 steering servo

PA Racing Servo Bracket

TGN CF tank brace

Outerwear air filter cover red

Phat Dad RC Cross-Over Dog bones for
Old 10-25-2009, 12:45 AM
blackyz250

Holy s**t! You have massive bucks tied up in her. Impressive! What about fuel? I have read that some people pul coleman fuel in there 2 stroke. Whayt do you run in your's?
Old 10-25-2009, 12:48 AM
46u

I sure this will open a can of worms but Coleman fuel is only 55 octane which in my opinion is WAY to low. I just run premium pump gas and Klotz oil. What I have in my 5b SS is more then my Hyper 8 pro, my Hyper 8.5 pro and my race Savage together counting all my spares. [X(] I am going to be getting a new large scale shortly from a sponsor.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:58 AM
blackyz250

LOL no kidding! So, the Klotz oil can this be purchase a a motorcycle shop? That 25:1 right? Do you know what kind of lg scale you gettin?
Old 10-25-2009, 01:06 AM
46u

Any good two stroke oil will work. Do not get oil like they use in lawn and garden equipment. Yes you can get good oil at most motorcycle shops. Yes 25 to 1.

I am getting a Nutech Thunderbolt II pro race kit. Hopefully it will be shipped next week. It is very limited production now and only a few testers and racers are getting them. The standard Thunderbolt II are readily available. But I will never get rid of or totally quite racing my 5b SS.

Old 10-25-2009, 01:23 AM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

What motor you putting in that Nutech?
Old 10-25-2009, 01:27 AM
blackyz250

WOW! Looks pretty awesome! All the alum What type of engine you plan onrunning in it? Klotz oil this is synthtic right? I'll have to make sure I ask him what type he was using.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:23 AM
46u

Not sure which engine I am going to put in it. I have 3 I am building and a stock new spare CY26. More then likely either the ported 28 or the ported 30.5.
Klotz has two oils one full synthetic and one that is a blend of synthetic and castor. I prefer the blend and here is why. Some disagree but I have some nitro engines with over 9 gallons on them running fuel using a blend.

Castor oil is a naturally occurring oil that is derived from a plant. It is a natural lubricant that has some very unique properties. When subjected to higher temperatures, castor oils will actually begin to break down. Normally, this would be a bad thing for a lubricant to do in an internal combustion engine. However, in the case of castor oil, this "breaking down" is one of it's greatest strengths! When castor oil breaks down at high temperatures, it's properties change and it's high temperature lubricating properties actually increase! As engine temperatures go up further, the castor oil continues to break down and forms a lubricating film that actually protects the engine better. In the process, this film or residue (like varnish) can also gum up the engine and cause other problems. On the other hand, synthetic oils typically are much cleaner and normally do not leave residues behind. Synthetic oils can help lubricating metal surfaces at higher RPM's when temperatures are lower. However, when temperatures rise, synthetic oils can break down and actually burn off leaving little protection for the engine. So, there are strengths and weaknesses of both castor and synthetic oils.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.