Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

King Motor T1000 Baja Truck

Old 11-23-2009, 07:43 AM
magnum500

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: King Motor T1000 Baja Truck

the same people who gripe about the clones are most likely driving a forin car and not domestic , but i guess that`s ok its your choice
Old 11-23-2009, 01:23 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: wyattroa

lol...Hey if you have the money to blow in these hard times then feel free to do so. Bottom line is the ''clone'' is being produced and sold for less. Why does HPI charge so much if other companies can get away with the lower cost? Most people with how the economy is do not have just $1,000 laying around.. they will be more willing to spend the $350. HPI is charging an arm and leg for the kit. We all know it is made with way less money. People need to get off your high horse. The KM is here to stay and they have proved themselves.
The extra costs are RnD and adverstising..
HPI gets the money because they have value, if not no one would by HPI
Old 11-23-2009, 01:28 PM
srt10

ORIGINAL: Vert1go

I can see by reading this that you have no conception of production costs. Let me explain in very simple terms: Part of the cost of the HPI Baja is from the research, develtopment, and tooling to make the Baja - most of this overhead does not exist with KM. The cost of any product is not dictated by the material costs of making the parts alone.

Honestly, it doesn't matter to me in the slightest if people buy KM Bajas - it's their money not mine. KM has proved themselves? Oh really? Do you mean the KM is a decent car after the owner throws hundreds of dollars worth of upgrades to it? [img][/img]

One thing some forget is the extra money HPI owners spend is for the bling, not just to keep their buggies and trucks running.. [:-]
I have a km and like it but when it breaks I replace the crudy km parts with the real deal HPI and those parts DO NOT BREAK..
I for one can say, if I had to do it all over... I would have gotten the new 2.0 HPI or SS and used my own radio and servo
Old 11-23-2009, 01:29 PM
magnum500

i`d realy like to get back to the good and bad of these , quality issues and if there are any some clone vrs hpi comparison , in the feild and on the bench
Old 11-23-2009, 07:51 PM
Vert1go

This has nothing to do with foreign verses domestic or where something is made. It has to do with an inferior copy of a product.

There are tons of links here and elsewhere that detail the weaknesses of the KM version of the Baja. Like I said, if you want to buy one, go right ahead - it doesn't bother me at all. Why should it? Myself, I'll stick with HPI because Ipersonally don't like buying second rate products that are ripoffs of the real thing.

ORIGINAL: magnum500

the same people who gripe about the clones are most likely driving a forin car and not domestic , but i guess that`s ok its your choice
Old 11-23-2009, 07:55 PM
Vert1go

This is another invalid argument. Most people that own an RC car will break it. It doesn't matter how much you upgrade it, people beat the crap out of their cars until they break. If someone is doing 15-foot jumps all day and their car is not breaking, they'll up the ante.

But some cars break easier than others, regardless. And many HPI (and KM) owners like to upgrade their cars simply because it's fun to do it. This doesn't mean that the KM Baja is equivilant to the HPI.

ORIGINAL: BigGrump

Do you mean the KM is a decent car after the owner throws hundreds of dollars worth of upgrades to it?

Wow, that is about the greatest thing any HPI boy has ever said. Ever try reading an HPI only site? You can change the "hundreds" to "thousands" for what a lot of them go through to get the HPI worthy of their use......

You have made the case for KM.......

Dennis
Old 11-23-2009, 08:25 PM
wyattroa

Also to claim that the reason people buy the HPI part instead of the KM parts is an invalid argument. They buy the HPI parts because they are more readily available. It is easier to go to the local hobby shop then to wait for something in the mail.

This is another invalid argument. Most people that own an RC car will break it. It doesn't matter how much you upgrade it, people beat the crap out of their cars until they break. If someone is doing 15-foot jumps all day and their car is not breaking, they'll up the ante.

But some cars break easier than others, regardless. And many HPI (and KM) owners like to upgrade their cars simply because it's fun to do it. This doesn't mean that the KM Baja is equivilant to the HPI.

Do you mean the KM is a decent car after the owner throws hundreds of dollars worth of upgrades to it?

Wow, that is about the greatest thing any HPI boy has ever said. Ever try reading an HPI only site? You can change the ''hundreds'' to ''thousands'' for what a lot of them go through to get the HPI worthy of their use......

Dennis
Old 11-23-2009, 08:34 PM
srt10

not so you can get km parts without issues
most buy HPI parts because they are much stronger and last
That is the reason I buy HPI parts for my KM is they are strong
Old 11-23-2009, 09:15 PM
Vert1go

Alright, so let's pretend you broke your front lower A-arms. You walk into a LBS and they happen to have both the HPIand KM part - and the HPIpart is only slightly more expensive.

Please tell me you would buy the KMpart so Icould laugh.

Also to claim that the reason people buy the HPI part instead of the KM parts is an invalid argument. They buy the HPI parts because they are more readily available. It is easier to go to the local hobby shop then to wait for something in the mail.

Wow, that is about the greatest thing any HPI boy has ever said. Ever try reading an HPI only site? You can change the ''hundreds'' to ''thousands'' for what a lot of them go through to get the HPI worthy of their use......

Dennis
Old 11-23-2009, 09:17 PM
magnum500

hey srt10 , you said you`d buy a 2.0 and not a clone why is that ? this is what i am after . some good and bad points . from the video`s i`ve watched the majority seemed very out of tune and real doggy down low . but there are others that seem to run very nicely . some it looks like the suspension is very bouncey ,like there is no damper oil .
lets hear it.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:31 PM
RC_Feen
My Feedback: (1)

Wow....this thread seems to strike a nerve in some people. IMHO "to each his own" if they want to buy a clone or the original. I know if someone really wants to get into 1/5 scale and get something that they can easily get parts for and not pay top dollar then I can see where a clone 5T or 5B is appealing. The way I look at it...in the end HPI is still going to get your money. If you want to save a few hundred initially to get into 1/5 scale then get a clone. It's your choice. Parts are going to break and no R/C is bullet proof. Get what you can afford and are welling to pay for and have fun rather it be a clone or HPI. Bottom line is buy what you feel is a good purchase. Me I'll wait till I can get the HPI 5T. For me I feel that purchasing a HPI product gives me more peace of mind knowing that I purchased from a reputable MFG. Thanks for all the feedback.[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 11-23-2009, 09:58 PM
Vert1go

That sums it up. Ilove my HPI 5T, best vehicle Iown.

ORIGINAL: RC_Feen
For me I feel that purchasing a HPI product gives me more peace of mind knowing that I purchased from a reputable MFG. Thanks for all the feedback.[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 11-23-2009, 10:11 PM
srt10

sexy in black!
Old 11-23-2009, 10:43 PM
RC_Feen

Looking good Vert1go! Are you running it bone stock or have you got sucked into upgradenitis....?
Old 11-23-2009, 11:15 PM
BigGrump

If the KM is so inferrior to the HPI then it is not actually a clone, is it......... But, when you have the example of the HPI and KM and each break a arms and the owners go into the hobby store and both buy RPM replacment parts, then which is better? The guy spending $500 less in the first place seems to have the advantage.

Dennis
Old 11-23-2009, 11:53 PM
RC_Feen

If the KM is so inferrior to the HPI then it is not actually a clone, is it......... But, when you have the example of the HPI and KM and each break a arms and the owners go into the hobby store and both buy RPM replacment parts, then which is better? The guy spending $500 less in the first place seems to have the advantage.

Dennis

Good point. But in the end with the parts you replace on a KM clone...are you really saving any money going with a clone? There is no real way to tell which parts you're going to break because everyone runs their trucks differently. Some go balls to the wall...some just run them with no idea what to encounter. Someone with no experience with running 1/5 scale I can see a lot of parts getting broken no matter what you have.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:23 AM
wyattroa

yes your going to end up spending less..DO you really think that your going to break $500 in parts on the km? If you drive the KM hard it will break, if you drive the hpi hard it will break in the same spots.. No way are you going to be spending $500 on parts for the KM, your thinking then would be the HPI will never break..I have had a HPI 5b.. it was fun but i got rid of it... i would in a second buy a "CLONE".
ORIGINAL: RC_Feen

Dennis

Good point. But in the end with the parts you replace on a KM clone...are you really saving any money going with a clone? There is no real way to tell which parts you're going to break because everyone runs their trucks differently. Some go balls to the wall...some just run them with no idea what to encounter. Someone with no experience with running 1/5 scale I can see a lot of parts getting broken no matter what you have.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:59 AM
Vert1go

Except for the fact that the KM starts with an inferior engine, inferior shocks, and inferior servos. Many people reported that the engines in the KMcome with the cylinder bores already scratched bady! It's also widely known that the KMshocks are arriving broken, leaking and even lacking O-rings. Additionally, the servos are breaking right away. Read the reviews on the long KM thread here.

RC Feen - thanks! All Ihave is a Dominator pipe

Dennis
Old 11-24-2009, 01:01 AM
magnum500

post a link
Old 11-24-2009, 01:04 AM
Vert1go

Everything you will ever want to know about the KM Baja is in this link. Iadvise you to set aside several hours, since the thread is over 150 pages. Read it all, not just the first post, since he's claiming the KM Baja comes with a "real Fuelie" engine, which it most certainly does not.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_72..._1/key_/tm.htm

One of the KM owners made the following post, which is useful:

Problems:
    [*]Tires wear out quick[*]Metal is cheap
      [*]Main drive shaft to differential bent due to so much torque after jump[*]The back A-arms bend very easily[*]Clutch broke[/list][*]Flipped and broke the spark cover and spark plug[*]Battery blew up on me
        [*]During charge[*]Undergoing slow good charge with Superbrain 977 (I know what I'm doing)[/list][*]The coil lost gap[*]Dog bones suck(Pins fell out)[*]Pull start
          [*]Plastic Paw stripped inside the pullstart (Pull put no turn over)[*]String broke off[*]Screws on KM pull start will not fit HPI pull start (Rethread HPI pull start)[/list][*]1/4 scale Servo
            [*]Hit a rock and popped it out of joint[*]Took apart and accidentally touched the motherboard[*]Replaced with Cirrus (Spell check?)[*]Only turns 70% left and 30% right[*]Will replace with good servo when I have the money[/list][*]Broke servo saver
              [*]The turn buckle between the actual saver and servo horn stripped and popped out[/list][*]In order to fix a KM differential you have to do a complete switch with a HPI
                [*]Cannot use parts from HPI differential and put on KM differential[/list][*]High response clutch springs will not fit the KM clutch

Normal stuff:
                [*]Broke bumper[*]Broke front shock tower[*]Broke front bottom A-arm[*]Broke the flywheel cover holder that attaches to rear.
                  [*]Twisted it then snap (User error)[/list]
                  Hop-Ups:
                  [*]DDM rear dominator
                    [*]Burned roll cage (Was not installed properly)[/list][*]Spark Plug Wire (MSD)
                      [*]Great heavy duty[*]Will need to bend spark cover (Warm it then bend it)[/list][*]Proline Badlands
                        [*]Went on perfectly no problems[/list][*]Anything that was broken was replaced by stock HPI stuff unless was upgraded.[/list]
                        All I can think of right now.

ORIGINAL: magnum500

post a link
Old 11-24-2009, 01:22 AM
BigGrump

That list is highly over stated. Sounds like HPI owners are concerned with the well being of KM owners, and troubled in the belief KM owners are being cheated in some way. I have a good idea, to make you and other hpi owners feel better for KM owners, perhaps there should be a $100.00 sur charge placed on every HBI 5b sold, and the collected money distributed to the poor cheated KM owners. Yea, that's the idea......, you know, you love it when your baja's cost more....

Somehow I get the feeling those are really alligator tears....

Best wishes..... Dennis
Old 11-24-2009, 01:34 AM
Vert1go

You don't have to make me feel better about KMowners since I'm not bothered at all what other people buy. But I can see by your posting that no matter what owners are reporting about the KM Baja, you'll think it's either "overstated" as in this case, or just HPIpeople that are making it up.

Just wondering, have you owned a HPIand KMbaja?

That list is highly over stated. Sounds like HPI owners are concerned with the well being of KM owners, and troubled in the belief KM owners are being cheated in some way. I have a good idea, to make you and other hpi owners feel better for KM owners, perhaps there should be a $100.00 sur charge placed on every HBI 5b sold, and the collected money distributed to the poor cheated KM owners. Yea, that's the idea......, you know, you love it when your baja's cost more....

Somehow I get the feeling those are really alligator tears....

Best wishes..... Dennis
Old 11-24-2009, 02:03 AM
BigGrump

I started out with the KM Baja elite, the one with the chrome chassis. My interests in RC cars, mostly trucks, is to tinker with them and make them as good as I can, then I lose interest and move on to another one. I have 14 nitro trucks, many different brands, and this one gas 1/5 scale.

I have found the KM Baja to be of pleanty good quality, but by now it is so highly modified, about the only KM things left is the main chassis and a few plastic parts, the radio box and fuel tank. Since this is my hobby and habit to modify until I don't want it anymore, the KM Baja is perfect. Generally, I put on top of the line aftermarket parts, but in some cases I have used genuine HPI parts, like trans case, diff, heavy duty trans gears.

I always thought the KM dog bones had to be sub standard, so the other day I got a set of heavy duty HPI bones. Right out of the bag, one was bent. I noticed the hpi bones were smaller in shaft diamenter than the KM ones, which showed little wear. I threw the HPI ones in the trash and ordered a set of Phatdad crossover bones for $89.00. I installed these and within 1/2 tank, one of the pins came lose and was sticking through the rubber shield over the bone end. I took them all apart and ground a flat on the center of all four pins and locktited again the set screws. They are holding up fine right now. I can say from experience, the KM dog bones are way better than HPI ones, and the high dollar ones were not fool proof at least at first.

The KM works great for me, the unbroken and working good stock engine is sitting on the bench and a CY 29 stroker with stuffed crank is ripping the KM around in fine style for me. I feel good about the KM, and would also feel good about the HPI, it is just the first $500 of upgrades was free.

This whole debate of brands really does not interest me, because I don't care...... But what does bother me is people who like to look down their nose at the next guy and act like snobs over brands.

This happens with so many things in life, I just don't like it, I find more character and value in a simple hard working honest person, usually a blue collar worker who is trying to make ends meet and get by in life.

Dennis
Old 11-24-2009, 02:43 AM
Vert1go

Dennis, this is a good post from you, and Iappreciate it. This is the kind of posting that makes a thread good.

As for myself, Iam not a serious RC enthusiast - Ijust like to play around, work on them in my free time, and have some fun. That's about it for me, but my dog also loves my cars, so Iuse them to give him exercise (he loves chasing them around).
Ido not personally look down on anyone, that would be absolutely silly. These are all basically big toys. When I pull my Baja out at a park, everyone comes to see it, not because it's an HPI, but because it's a big cool looking truck

I started out with the KM Baja elite, the one with the chrome chassis. My interests in RC cars, mostly trucks, is to tinker with them and make them as good as I can, then I lose interest and move on to another one. I have 14 nitro trucks, many different brands, and this one gas 1/5 scale.

I have found the KM Baja to be of pleanty good quality, but by now it is so highly modified, about the only KM things left is the main chassis and a few plastic parts, the radio box and fuel tank. Since this is my hobby and habit to modify until I don't want it anymore, the KM Baja is perfect. Generally, I put on top of the line aftermarket parts, but in some cases I have used genuine HPI parts, like trans case, diff, heavy duty trans gears.

I always thought the KM dog bones had to be sub standard, so the other day I got a set of heavy duty HPI bones. Right out of the bag, one was bent. I noticed the hpi bones were smaller in shaft diamenter than the KM ones, which showed little wear. I threw the HPI ones in the trash and ordered a set of Phatdad crossover bones for $89.00. I installed these and within 1/2 tank, one of the pins came lose and was sticking through the rubber shield over the bone end. I took them all apart and ground a flat on the center of all four pins and locktited again the set screws. They are holding up fine right now. I can say from experience, the KM dog bones are way better than HPI ones, and the high dollar ones were not fool proof at least at first.

The KM works great for me, the unbroken and working good stock engine is sitting on the bench and a CY 29 stroker with stuffed crank is ripping the KM around in fine style for me. I feel good about the KM, and would also feel good about the HPI, it is just the first $500 of upgrades was free.

This whole debate of brands really does not interest me, because I don't care...... But what does bother me is people who like to look down their nose at the next guy and act like snobs over brands.

This happens with so many things in life, I just don't like it, I find more character and value in a simple hard working honest person, usually a blue collar worker who is trying to make ends meet and get by in life.

Dennis
Old 11-24-2009, 02:49 AM
EngageRC

so, u own a km?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.