Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

5b onroad air filters and my own version

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

5b onroad air filters and my own version

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 11:07 PM
splcrazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5b onroad air filters and my own version

i got bored today and went to see what my local auto shop had in terms of small air filters , and since i mostly run this 5b onroad all the time it was about time i got a better onroad air filter rather than the chunky stock filter , i could have bought one from ddm but hell i cant wait till next week , i found mostly what i needed at the auto shop , i had to slightly modify the plastic adapter to fit the bolts so the holes on the adpater had to be slightlty enlarged and the cone around the adapter needed a tiny bit of sanding so the bolts would not rub on the adapter when slid into the holes , everthing went on perfect after that , question is which filter looks better lol i bought 2 styles of filters one is like a k&n style and the other is alloy machined billet style and brushed alloy , personally i like the look of the machined alloy looks more mean , but i think the other k&n style will breath faster , tell me which one you like the most they are called MONZA as the brand
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	xv62942.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	651.9 KB
ID:	1322378   Click image for larger version

Name:	zu64209.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	664.5 KB
ID:	1322379   Click image for larger version

Name:	ty66443.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	646.7 KB
ID:	1322380   Click image for larger version

Name:	rk23480.jpg
Size:	651.1 KB
ID:	1322381   Click image for larger version

Name:	mx22837.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	648.5 KB
ID:	1322382   Click image for larger version

Name:	hx32577.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	644.9 KB
ID:	1322383   Click image for larger version

Name:	wy49402.jpg
Size:	430.4 KB
ID:	1322384   Click image for larger version

Name:	vu70446.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	648.2 KB
ID:	1322385  

Old 11-28-2009, 11:27 PM
IloveMYxt2

Default RE: 5b onroad air filters and my own version

Now thats some nice work. I have been looking at aftermarket filters my self for the 5b. I hate cleaning the filter on the 5b and trying to put it back on with a Outerwears filter cover. There is no room there with the fuel lines and the huge gas tank.

I think you just gave me an idea! Thanks!

And the billter one looks much better. I am not a fan of K&N style fitlers, especially for dusty/sandy conditions.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:57 AM
splcrazy

lol just tryed it out and the plastic adapter is crap filter keeps sliding off , i need to now get the proper alloy adapter velocity stack thingy , the billet air filter doesnt breath as good , i might drill some holes in the body of it underneath to give it some more breathing space as its only breathing from the front and see how that goes , yeah i really like the look of the billet filter i bought and i hope to sort out its issues so i can keep using it , the rubber grommet in this filter has a thread made into the rubber i dont know what to do or how i could better attach it to the other end of the velocity stack ? i did spray some k&n oil in the foam of the billet filter so maybe thats restricting it but i highly dont think so , my guess it needs some drilled holes in the body but ill do it underneath so its not visible
Old 11-29-2009, 03:13 AM
splcrazy

ahh i just made a $200 ddm order and got me some proper velocity stacks and a k&n filter , i dont know what size in diameter the stack is so i hope now the stack will fit my other filters i purchased in the pics , my filters came with various size grommets so it should all be good , And i got my free ritter chocolate bar too
Old 11-29-2009, 01:39 PM
IloveMYxt2

Good info to know.

And I cant wait to get my free chocolate bar as well!
Old 11-30-2009, 01:17 AM
splcrazy

i think if i cut half off the foam it will make it breath better , its just one big foam all the way in upto the grommet