Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Thunderbolt II Pro Race Buggy Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Thunderbolt II Pro Race Buggy Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 08:51 AM
Obeast44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thunderbolt II Pro Race Buggy Build

Pwaicon, I like the TB2 and all but your TT still kicks its @$$ IMO.

Id like to pickup one of these Pro versions, but having 3 Ramps as it is......Its not going to happen (read: wife aggro)
Old 12-02-2009, 11:53 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: pwaicon

I usually use the Elcon clutch in all my cars, which is also a four shoe adjustable clutch, but I picked up the Lauterbacher one as it was on sale as part of DDM Thanksgiving sale. The clutch should be here Thursday so I should get it installed on Friday, which will give me time to paint the body.

Yes I know about the Elcon clutch. From everything I have read the Elcon and Lauterbacher 4 shoe are about the best you can get. The new style Lauterbacher not so sure about as I have read very mixed emotions about it and most are not good. All so it is way expensive and to adjust it you have to disassemble every thing. Not like the older model or the Elcon where all you need to do is drill a small hole in the clutch housing.

The only problem I have read about the Elcon clutch is the older ones can with shoes that where not real good but newer ones with the white shoes are fine. All so I heard about the weak plate on them which they made a up dated plate to fix this problem. Some say you need the plate and others say you do not. On the Elcon I can only go by what I have read.

I will never I mean NEVER go back to the stock style clutches after running my Lauterbacher!!!!!!!!!! It hooks up so I mean SO much better then the stock clutch ever did. I like it so much in my HPI 5b SS I got one for my TBII PR!!!! Many claim that on the CY engines they all so cause premature bearing failure as they are not balanced like the Elcon and Lauterbacher.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:57 AM
dc2 man
Banned

yeah i would really love to try a lauterbaucher 3 shoe over the stock clutch to see the differnce.
that now and even better diff on my beetle then i would be in buisness.

keep it coming lads.
these nutech pics are awesome!
Old 12-02-2009, 12:09 PM
46u

ORIGINAL: dc2 man

yeah i would really love to try a lauterbaucher 3 shoe over the stock clutch to see the differnce.
that now and even better diff on my beetle then i would be in buisness.

keep it coming lads.
these nutech pics are awesome! [img][/img]
From what I have read I would not run the Lauterbaucher 3 shoe. I have the Lauterbaucher adjustable 4 shoe clutch for both my HPI 5b SS and my TBII PR. This is what I have.
http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...t.A/id.2423/.f

DDM has the 3 shoe with alloy shoes on clearance.
http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...t.A/id.2420/.f
Old 12-02-2009, 12:12 PM
dc2 man
Banned

mmm didnt know that now.
thanks 46u....

expensive though by the time shipped and everything.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:20 PM
46u

This is the NEW Lauterbaucher 3 shoe but I have read a lot of people are not happy with it and a FEW are. All so to adjust it you have to take the vehicle part where you can get to the face of the clutch, has a special tool and cost much more the the clutches that have proven there worth.
http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...t.A/id.6429/.f
Adjusting tool
http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...t.A/id.6519/.f
Old 12-02-2009, 06:31 PM
asphaltcowboy

ORIGINAL: STEVE MARSHALL

Hey Pwaicon, great thread. I have a TBII rtr, std version. This thread of yours will help me alot for up grades. lasst weekend my rear diff let go. And the plastic servo saver. but when i pulled down the diff i found one side gear striped out and crown wheel marks on the chassis, also a little damage to the crownwheel where the pinion has jumped. i have the plastic inner diff housing. and the plastic outer housing.
I think, alloy diff housings will fix that problem ...

Greetings Maik
Old 12-02-2009, 07:40 PM
46u

asphaltcowboy are you talking about the diff cups or the diff housing. STEVE MARSHALL yes I defiantly recommend going to the alloy diff cups.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:11 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I think Mike is talking about going alum alloy for both the diff cup and the housing that holds the diff assembly.

I know that is what I would do if I had the option.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:21 PM
46u

The TBII Pro Racer comes with the alloy diff cups and plastic diff housings just like my HPI Baja 5b SS. I do not have my TBII Pro Racer running yet but on my 5b SS do not see the need for alloy diff housings or in the case of the baja transmission housing as the diff and trans housing is all in one. I do see where the alloy diff cups are necessary do to flex. HPI found this out the hard way just like on the Savage. Nutech does have some left over alloy diff housing from Smartech but people have had problems with them. Nutech is going to make some up dated ones sometime. Bottom line he needs to get the diff cups for now.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:22 PM
asphaltcowboy

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

I think Mike is talking about going alum alloy for both the diff cup and the housing that holds the diff assembly.

Yes, that´s what i mean ...

Greetings Maik
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82517.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	1325427  
Old 12-02-2009, 08:25 PM
46u

ORIGINAL: asphaltcowboy

Yes, that´s what i mean ...

Greetings Maik
If you look at the Nutech forums problems with the diff housings as I stated above but the cups are fine.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:28 PM
mooman007uk

the new off road laut 3 shoe has proved to be junk for off road use[&:], eats up shoes in a tank or so...been a few reviews and a lot of returns to DDM...maybe ok for onroad but offroad just get the 4 shoe, as 46u says drill a hole in the clutch bell to adjust it in place...shoes are hard wearing and you get zero fade as things heat up... but i found...as with any clutch..sand is an enemy...not for wear but for messing up the engagement point...i went back to an unvented bell on my rampage and will keep the unvented on my Nutech just to keep the crap out...
i wont use any other clutch after running one of these
Old 12-02-2009, 09:01 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: 46u

The TBII Pro Racer comes with the alloy diff cups and plastic diff housings just like my HPI Baja 5b SS. I do not have my TBII Pro Racer running yet but on my 5b SS do not see the need for alloy diff housings or in the case of the baja transmission housing as the diff and trans housing is all in one. I do see where the alloy diff cups are necessary do to flex. HPI found this out the hard way just like on the Savage. Nutech does have some left over alloy diff housing from Smartech but people have had problems with them. Nutech is going to make some up dated ones sometime. Bottom line he needs to get the diff cups for now.
I guess that you are right about the stock HPI 5B diff housing holding up; I have yet to see one give out from flexure. And looking at the shape, despite it being no thicker than say an FG plastic diff housing, HPI looking like they did their elemental stress loading research pretty well. The angles of the HPI gear case looks very sound and not prone to flexure (or at least allow only minimal flexure).

But then, I admit, I only have run one with at most a 26cc engine. I do not know how it will hold up to stress loadings from the torque of a modded and performace piped engine with monster torque.

As for Nutech, from what Moo mentioned earlier, it sounds like that Chris is serious about making sure the factory uses the correct materials and will never settle for less. I commend him on this and for ensureing a great performance product hits the market that is on par with the european RC quality. There are way too many RC sellers who will settle to sell the compromised and weaker product, but even in this testing pre-market phase, it is clear that Chris is serious about upholding quality and hammering down on the factories to maintain it.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:13 PM
46u

I guess that you are right about the stock HPI 5B diff housing holding up; I have yet to see one give out from flexure. And looking at the shape, despite it being no thicker than say an FG plastic diff housing, HPI looking like they did their elemental stress loading research pretty well. The angles of the HPI gear case looks very sound and not prone to flexure (or at least allow only minimal flexure).

But then, I admit, I only have run one with at most a 26cc engine. I do not know how it will hold up to stress loadings from the torque of a modded and performace piped engine with monster torque.

As for Nutech, from what Moo mentioned earlier, it sounds like that Chris is serious about making sure the factory uses the correct materials and will never settle for less. I commend him on this and for ensureing a great performance product hits the market that is on par with the european RC quality. There are way too many RC sellers who will settle to sell the compromised and weaker product, but even in this testing pre-market phase, it is clear that Chris is serious about upholding quality and hammering down on the factories to maintain it.
I know of MANY guys with the HPI baja running ESP 28.5, 30.5 or OB ported engines in the HPI baja with the stock diff housing (not the cup as they are now all alloy)and NEVER heard of a problem with the plastic transmission case that holds the diff. There is eve a guy that makes a kit to put the CY 62 in the baja and they are running plastic. Got to the HBF site and see if you can find any one that has had a problem with it other then those running with wore out bearings.

Now on the TBII PR I will find out as when I get mine running which I hope before the 19 as there is a race then.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:51 AM
pwaicon

ORIGINAL: STEVE MARSHALL

Hey Pwaicon, great thread. I have a TBII rtr, std version. This thread of yours will help me alot for up grades. lasst weekend my rear diff let go. And the plastic servo saver. but when i pulled down the diff i found one side gear striped out and crown wheel marks on the chassis, also a little damage to the crownwheel where the pinion has jumped. i have the plastic inner diff housing. and the plastic outer housing.
What actually failed on the diff? Did the diff housing crack/brake or did the diff case fail? I am very curious to know the cause. But like others have said I think the alloy diff housing should solve your problem, also don’t forget to do the bolt mod on the diff case housing. Let us know how things work out for you once you fix it.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:01 AM
pwaicon

ORIGINAL: Obeast44

Pwaicon, I like the TB2 and all but your TT still kicks its @$$ IMO.

Id like to pickup one of these Pro versions, but having 3 Ramps as it is......Its not going to happen (read: wife aggro)
Thanks Obeast. The Ramp was a fun project; I was very pleased with how it came out. I think my friend wants to convert his MT to a TT also. If he does we can have a side by side shoot out at the track. Better yet, I think I will let him drive my TT that way I win either way.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:10 AM
pwaicon

I finished most of the build today; it’s actually 1 AM here so technically I finished most of the build yesterday. I am still waiting on my clutch but I installed the engine anyway just to make sure there weren’t going to be any issues with the pipe install.

Name:	Xv65414.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	1325701   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66453.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	1325702   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zf88100.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	1325703   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pj17970.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	1325704   Click image for larger version

Name:	Co80376.jpg
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	1325705   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pg61247.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	1325706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hj87443.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	1325707   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw78263.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	1325708  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu30477.jpg
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	1325709   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xj53245.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	1325710   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ek52704.jpg
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	1325711   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gr72812.jpg
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	1325712  
Old 12-03-2009, 04:29 AM
pwaicon

I also received Nutech’s alloy air filter, which I think should perform fine if oiled properly. On a groomed track I also think it should last awhile before the elements need changing, in really dusty conditions that might not be the case.

Name:	Om33757.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	1325715   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34795.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	1325716   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71850.jpg
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	1325717   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl25622.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	1325718   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sd42896.jpg
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	1325719   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rh67431.jpg
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	1325720   Click image for larger version

Name:	Df72660.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	1325721   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl40255.jpg
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	1325722  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw38393.jpg
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	1325723   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pb25015.jpg
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	1325724  
Old 12-03-2009, 04:32 AM
pwaicon

Last set of pics for know. I also get to try out the Nutech tuned pipe, I am very curious to see of this pipe performs.

Name:	Hf98054.jpg
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	1325725   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99619.jpg
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	1325726   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24916.jpg
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	1325727   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xq44787.jpg
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	1325728   Click image for larger version

Name:	Al71838.jpg
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	1325729   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yp94413.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	1325730  
Old 12-03-2009, 05:03 AM
dc2 man
Banned

great pics.
man the more i see these nutech MT the more i want one..
Old 12-03-2009, 07:20 AM
STEVE MARSHALL

Hey guyes, i can't find any reason for the diff to fail, I think the shimming may have been a bit on the low side and a bit of flex in the housing and it was game over. Also i have a small amount of damage to the crownwheel, looks like that skipped at some stage too. PSR here in oz are getting in both housings in alloy very soon so i will be upgrading and filling with oil as well. I also have that pipe on mine, seems to have better off the mark power and sounds alot better than the can.
Steve
Old 12-03-2009, 08:41 AM
Obeast44

So whats the cost on the Pro version again?? I have a spare DS/Sikk 27.2 and with LargescaleRCs event coming up in June. I might have enough time to snag one and set it up by then.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:08 AM
46u

ORIGINAL: Obeast44

So whats the cost on the Pro version again?? I have a spare DS/Sikk 27.2 and with LargescaleRCs event coming up in June. I might have enough time to snag one and set it up by then.
At the moment the TBII PR is not available only to testers and racers. The estimated street cost is going to be around. $1,350 US plus or minus. Not sure I am going to make it but hoping to go to LargescaleRC race in June as it is right around my birthday.

pwaicon I see you are going to do like I and try the stock exhaust to begin with. I finished getting my engine ready last night and hopefully my last order will be here today.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:32 PM
Obeast44

At the moment the TBII PR is not available only to testers and racers. The estimated street cost is going to be around. $1,350 US plus or minus. Not sure I am going to make it but hoping to go to LargescaleRC race in June as it is right around my birthday.
Looks likes im gonna have to spank you guys with my Rampages then
Haha JK, never even raced em before hehe.

Pwaicon is it me or does it seem like the "hornet" type pips would fit on these with very little modification?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.