Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

New harden gears on sale!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 08:33 AM
2 deep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New harden gears on sale!!

Hi guys i found this guy lee who's selling harden gears for FG/MCD for next to half price including delivery. I have bought some my self for my MCD and they are good quality, so grab a bargin. I think he will do it until the stock runs outs

LAST FEW HARDENED GEAR SETS
« on: December 16, 2009, 06:55:16 AM » Quote

I have a few sets of hardened steel gears, that will fit every alloy carrier on the market ! As its christmas will let these few go for £55 delivered
yes for a complete set of 4 gears NEW
ratios
24x25
23x26- SOLD OUT, but do have a few sets that are correctly cut and will fit on original mcd carriers and plastic ones
30x33
29x34
28x35
27x36
25x38
Any one not happy when received i will gladly refund you.
contact troy [email protected]
Old 01-02-2010, 10:42 AM
2 deep

Default RE: New harden gears on sale!!

Has anyone bought any gears yet!! if so please post your comments so othere's can grab a bargain
Old 01-02-2010, 11:18 AM
dgav407

I have been testing the 24/25, 29/34 and 30/33 gears for nearly three months and can thoroughly recommend them. The quality is as good if not better than the MCD steel gears.

When ordering make sure you state the gear plate they are for, as the spacing for the outer gears on some of the aftermarket alloy gear plates is slightly out.

Clive
Old 01-02-2010, 11:35 AM
2 deep

Hi dgav, with the combos you have whats the best set up if you have a 28.5 ts engine in your opinion???. I already have 30/33 23/26 i also have just bought 24/25
Old 01-03-2010, 07:25 AM
dgav407

It depends on the tuned pipe and tyres (diameter) you are using.

At present I'm using 30, 33, 23, 26 and my set-up is a 4-bolt 23 cc engine (on road tune), Samba Four Power Ultimate pipe and MCD (170 mm diameter) tyres and the gearing is perfect. The engine will achieve close to 19,000 rpm under load and excellent low and mid range acceleration.

Your engine will have significantly more low/mid range power/torque so it should be happy with 33, 30, 23, 26 or 33, 30, 24, 25. Just make sure the engine doesn't run too hot.

I'm about to test a Victory RC Pro pipe and if the reports about the pipe are true I expect to change to 30, 33, 24, 25...

Clive
Old 01-03-2010, 04:04 PM
2 deep

Hi clive, i wanted ask you about pipes because im running mine with the old samba f1 pipe but i was going to change it for a diffrent one. The choice is the same as you, samba 4 power or the new victory pipe. Please can you tell your thoughts on the new samba pipe, but when you have finished testing the two new pipes please give me your conclution. I think you will save some people alot of money
Old 01-04-2010, 06:01 AM
dgav407

I have originally used the Samba F1 pipe in my Rally car and always thought it produced plenty of power/torque but I was wrong!!!

I tried the Samba Four Power Ultimate pipe in my Rally car using a stock 26 cc CY engine and then an Oddified 4-bolt 26 cc engine and the performance gains were amazing. The car was faster with the new pipe and stock engine than it had been with a tuned engine and the F1 pipe. Even with 4WD and long gearing for my local track the car had massive wheelspin!!!

The main advantage of the new Samba pipe is that it works equally well with stock and tuned engines whereas the Victory Pro pipe was designed for tuned engines although I will still try it out with a stock engine.

The Victory pipe is smaller and easier to install/remove but I don't like the fact that it needs to be bolted to the side guard. The new Samba can prove awkward to mount without it touching one corner of the fuel tank. MCD have redesigned the fuel tank on the forthcoming Race Runner V4 so that whatever pipe is used it is well clear of the tank. The new tank can be used on the earlier versions of the Race Runner and Rally car.

As soon as the correct manifold arrives for the Victory (later this week) pipe I will install it and post photos of both pipes for comparison.

Clive
Old 01-06-2010, 11:23 AM
2 deep

I hate waiting for parts!!! please post your findings because i want a new pipe asap
Old 01-06-2010, 08:45 PM
2 deep

Hi clive i could not wait for your review of the pipe. I done some home work and found that there are a few issues with the pipe but there is no othere pipe i would use with a trevor simpson engine. I hope to have it all together soon im just waiting for mmr to finish doing some work on my car and the pipe should be here soon. I will do some gear combos to tell you what is best for a 29.5 trevor
Old 01-10-2010, 03:44 PM
2 deep

Hi clive, the deal was so good i just bought another set so i think i have all the gear combo's now.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:36 AM
dgav407

I'm going to wait until the weather improves so I can finally test the Samba Four Power Ultimate pipe and Victory RC Pro pipe (see below). I'm probably going to purchase the 28/35 ones.

Clive
Old 01-11-2010, 12:29 PM
2 deep

I was looking around and it seems like the new samba and vrc pro are putting out the same amount of power. Please share the info on gear combo's and so will i when my car and pipe turn up some time next week
Old 01-11-2010, 02:37 PM
dgav407

I believe I'm the first person to have both the new Samba Four Power Ultimate pipe and VRC Pro pipe.

King Cobra Racing have tested the Samba and one of the other VRC (not the Pro pipe) pipes at a couple of the national rounds of the British largescale scale championships and there was not much in it. However, I'm hoping that as the Pro pipe was designed only for tuned engines it will out perform the Samba one.

Once I have found the ideal gear ratio and ignition map on the Oddified ECU for each tuned pipe and engine combination I have, I will arrange for the pipes to be dynoed.

Clive
Old 01-11-2010, 05:15 PM
2 deep

Hi clive, i think that would be so good. Watch out with the hole dyno thing, i just had mine dynoed and they ended up killing my engine[:@] They are just rebuilding it now, they were testing it with the magic billit pipe and they say the engine just stopped at 6.5hp. Like you, im hoping with the right gearing the pro pipe will put out more power, it may even put out 7hp but this time i will get some body else to dyno the engine. I also wanted to ask what will you do about the heat that the vrc pro pipe puts out?? will you clear coat it or just spray it with the black ceramic paint??. I also say this because the pipes look rusty after a time[:'(]
Old 01-12-2010, 04:31 AM
dgav407

I will get Ian Oddie (www.oddified.com) to dyno the pipes. He had actually promised to dyno a selection of pipes he had been given late last year but has been too busy to do so. He dynos all the engines he builds/services (including one of mine) so I'm not worried about him killing an engine. Anyway, he can use one of his own Red Head 4 bolt engines for testing.

The Samba Ultimate and VRC Pro pipes don't get anywhere near as hot as the earlier pipes I have used. I don't plan to paint the Pro pipe just wipe it down with a small amount of light oil after each run.

Clive

Old 01-18-2010, 02:52 PM
dgav407

Finally managed to test the Victory RC Pro pipe and the performance is even better than the already impressive Samba Ultimate pipe.

The engine peaked at 19,800 rpm, 1,200 rpm more than it had with the Samba Ultimate pipe. If I had been able to use more of the space at the test site for high speed runs I'm convinced it would have reached close to 21,000 rpm. I plan to change the gearing for slightly more top speed and keep the peak rpms below 19,000.

When the local motocross track finally reopens I will continuing testing there. It's also more enjoyable throwing the car off the jumps than just driving on a featureless field.

Clive

Old 01-18-2010, 05:22 PM
2 deep

Hi clive, that is such good new. Im still waiting for my pipe and my car to be in one place so please let me know what gears you are using.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:56 AM
2 deep

Hi clive, i have had the car and engine back for some time but i have been working so i have had no time to run the car. I have had time to go on ebay and i found a good deal i think. I just bought a ecu for £70.00 what do you think?? i also wanted to ask since you have one , how hard is it to fit or should i get somebody who knows what there doing to fit it. I would really appreciate any wisdom about this ecu. I hope that with this and my new gears i should make the most of that trevor
Old 02-24-2010, 05:50 AM
dgav407

Hi, what version of the ECU did you buy? The instructions for both can be downloaded from Ian's website http://www.oddified.com/download.php. I use double sided tape to secure the unit to the radio/battery box and if you look closely at the second photo I also use the red FG battery connectors so I don't have to have the 15 pin D plug hard wired to each engine.

Due to the poor weather I have only done a limited amount of testing since I last posted. I changed the gearing to 30, 33, 24, 25 so that I could keep the engine from achieving very high rpms and it still hit 18,600 rpm in a distance of 80 feet or so and was still accelerating hard. The low end response was acceptable. Out of interest I tried the Pro pipe with a stock 26cc Cy engine and the results were poor. This was to be expected as the Pro pipes are designed for use on tuned engines only and I understand they work best on 26cc or bigger engines.

I have installed my recently serviced Oddified 4-bolt 26cc engine the car and all I need now is some decent weather....I haven't decided what gearing to try initially, 30, 33, 24, 25 will probably be on the low side so 33, 30, 23, 26 might be the better option. Ian Oddie raced his MCDs using 30, 33, 23, 26 but I feel the extra power/torque from the latest Samba and Victory pipes requires too much self control with the throttle. Keeping the throttle open for more than a couple of seconds will result in excessive rpms and premature engine wear.

I'm looking at the possibililty of having the tuned 4-bolt 23cc engine upgraded with the new Zenoah 4-bolt 29cc head kit (tuned of course) but speaking to the engine builders here including Ian Oddie, they are reluctant to offer anything yet without prolonged testing.

Clive

Old 02-26-2010, 05:32 PM
2 deep

Hi clive, i have to ask how many engines do you have and how many cars?? I have 3 engines and one car at the moment im looking to make my mcd rr bullet proof but im still looking around for a second car to put one of my other engines into it, talking of bullet proof what do think about alu upper arms for the mcd i saw some for £70.00 pair i was going to buy them but i was in to minds??. As for the ecu i will let you know all about it when it turns up, i think i should have it by monday
Old 02-27-2010, 04:53 AM
dgav407

I have six cars, a Harm Bx1 and Sx3, MCD Race Runner Evo 2, Evo 3 and Rally car and an FG Sportsline F1. With the exception of the Harm Sx3 and the F1 they are used (raced or bashed) on a regular basis. The Harm Bx1 was the only car I paid full retail price for, the others were either purchased new with a massive saving on the full retail price or were used bargins found on ebay. For example the F1 came complete with top quality electrics and had only done a handful of race meetings and it cost £420...

I have 7 complete engines and apart from the latest 23cc Alro (another ebay bargin) the others came with the cars or were tuned/modified by Oddified or Alro Racing for peanuts.

I have spoken to one of the MCD team drivers and he recommended installing the MCD Ultimate upper and lower alloy wishbones at the front of the car and that was instead of buying a complete Race Runner Ultimate. To be honest I don't think it is worth spending £250 plus on the wishbones. I have only broken one front lower wishbone on my Evo 3 in 15 months of hard use. The wishbone broke at a race meeting last year when the car I was about to overtake at 30 plus mph unexpectedly spun and headed towards my Evo 3 with no time to slow down and avoid it. The other car was a full alloy Elcon Cleon.

I would avoid spending money on expensive alloy upgrades in the hope of making the buggy bullet proof, I have seen plenty of very expensive German cars break despite being all alloy. I just accept that in the event of a big crash something will break and I would rather replace a cheap part then bend or break something more expensive. Providing the car is set-up correctly and maintained properly you won't have any major issues.

I managed to test the Pro pipe on the Oddified engine yesterday and I was initially disappointed with the results. I only used it at the small and tight on road track as the off road track and surrounding area were flooded. Starting with 30, 33, 24, 25 the low end response was poor but the mid/high power was ok. I don't think it helped that for once there was plenty of grip/traction, normally the track is covered in dirt and there is very little grip/traction even with 4WD. Anyway, I changed the gearing to 30, 33 23, 26 and the difference was noticbale, the low speed response was good and the car had no trouble breaking traction out of the slow speed turns. I didn't push the car too hard when checking the peak rpms as the last thing I wanted to do was hit the solid track barriers at 40 mph!!!

The engine power peaks at 16,000 rpm so it might not be the ideal for this pipe. I didn't change the ignition map on the ECU and I'm sure there is a better map for this pipe/engine combination.

Clive