Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Who's running a Tone servo? I have a question.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Who's running a Tone servo? I have a question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 05:34 PM
Bob-Stormer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who's running a Tone servo? I have a question.

Firstly, I apologize if there is a Tone servo thread, I'm not that handy with the searches here yet.

These Tone servos fascinate me. If you're running one, how did you address the issue of a servo saver, or just not run one?

Pics of one installed?

I've got one I think is going to be about an 80 pound car. Want to have enough servo to get around. I'll save the fun of a wiper motor servo for the next build.

Thanks,
-Bob
Old 01-12-2010, 05:35 PM
DarkFire989

Default RE: Who's running a Tone servo? I have a question.

Foxy has a Tone Oddified servo. Let me find the link.

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7892381/anchors_7892381/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#7892381[/link]
Old 01-12-2010, 06:55 PM
Bob-Stormer

Thanks. Like what I see. I ordered 2 of them.

1 of ps050
1 of ssps105 standard speed.

Can't wait.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:01 PM
quarterscalelegends

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have them in my monster trucks. They weigh in about 70 pounds and are 4 wheel steering. One servo will turn all 4 tires on pavement. Thats impressive!!! i use a dry cell 12 volt battery.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:03 PM
Bob-Stormer

sorry double post...

Old 01-12-2010, 07:15 PM
dc2 man
Banned

ahh cmon we are all just reading the whole time.....

less of the talk and more videos
Old 01-12-2010, 07:56 PM
Bob-Stormer

ORIGINAL: quarterscalelegends

i have them in my monster trucks. They weigh in about 70 pounds and are 4 wheel steering. One servo will turn all 4 tires on pavement. Thats impressive!!! i use a dry cell 12 volt battery.

You have pics or vids on that? Which Tone servo?

Thanks,
-Bob
Old 01-12-2010, 10:00 PM
mooman007uk

they're a bit slow out the box, but can be volted up to 1600ozin, foxy has the oddified tone , Ian tweaks them to around .2 to 60 so he's the man to seek out to get these performing...check out oddifieds website and drop Ian a line...he's a great guy and sure will give you some good advice [link]http://www.oddified.com/[/link]
Old 01-12-2010, 11:54 PM
quarterscalelegends

i think you will be very happy with them. Here are a couple bad shots of the one in one of my trucks. The speed is fine stock. you wont need to mess with them. Really, they just need to be sped up if you are running a high speed on road car on a on road course and I dont even know why someone would even use one of these for that application anyway.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31212.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	1355139   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62930.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	1355140  
Old 01-13-2010, 03:44 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Bob, glad someone dug up at least one of my threads on the tone for you, first lets be clear I'm a factory modeller, while I would love to, I do not really have the time, expertise or tools to take on a serious homebuild, so in realtion to your question, I'll simply say this...

In most factory built cars, the servo saver is incorporated into the steering mech, as opposed to on the servo itself (you can look at FG cars and the HPI Baja to see 2 very different examples of servo saver implementation. If your car is to be very heavy, then I do suggest you implement at least some kind of rudimentary SS, although, I tell you now, it won't be to save the servo, it'll be to save the steering parts from bending/breakage). The tone can lift ME (90kg, 200lb) on a 1cm lever, so short of being dropped from an aircraft, I can't see anything causing any damage to the tone.

Finally, seriously consider looking for an Oddified one, the improved motor (believe it's something to do with the coils) and other modifications make them significantly faster, and a little stronger than a vanilla PS050. I run mine with a 7.2NimH connected directly to the servo and its pulling around 1200oz-in, if not more, and speed is comparable to the more traditional quarter size servos (It's faster than 805BB for example).
Old 01-13-2010, 10:23 AM
quarterscalelegends

the stock tone ps 050 is only .08 of a second slower then a HS-805bb, i think you will survive.

I have never seen a servo saver with one of these. I think it would hurt its performance and its un needed. you would need to make it soooo tight to be able to handle the servo that it would be like not even having one.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:01 AM
mooman007uk

here's the specs for the 050

[link]http://www.servodatabase.com/servo/tonegawa-seiko/ps-050[/link]

at 8.4 it's .21 to 60 and at 6v it's .30 to 60...now I'm afraid that is slow...half the speed of a digi 4 .. I can't imagine driving my rc's with steering that slow.

However on a 1/4 scale 70-80lb beast with lightning quick steering isn't what you'd be after so running 8.4v it'd be quick enough
Old 01-13-2010, 12:00 PM
quarterscalelegends

ORIGINAL: mooman007uk

However on a 1/4 scale 70-80lb beast with lightning quick steering isn't what you'd be after so running 8.4v it'd be quick enough
EXACTLY what i have been saying.

at 8.4 it's .21 to 60 and at 6v it's .30 to 60...now I'm afraid that is slow...half the speed of a digi 4 .. I can't imagine driving my rc's with steering that slow.
isnt the servo in that nutech truck you have only a .20 to 60 rated servo?

You guys crack me up... i remember when servos took a second to go that far, heck back then you did not even really know what you got, nobody even paid attention!

Old 01-14-2010, 10:38 AM
mooman007uk

Don't know about the nutech servo, threw in a digi 4 before i even started it..i run a react too for super fast steering...so I can steer into static objects more quickly lol

You guys crack me up... i remember when servos took a second to go that far, heck back then you did not even really know what you got, nobody even paid attention!
and i thought i was old [X(]

one thing i will say as stated by foxy, the oddified tone does have near double the power...not that you'd need it...on 11.4 it's churning out 1600ozin
Old 01-14-2010, 01:36 PM
quarterscalelegends

and i thought i was old [X(]
34 and counting... Been doin RC since the frog.

I am skeptical about the oddified servo. I cant even find posted specs on it. The specs posted above only puts it .01 faster then stock. And if thats on 11.4 volts for his rating, chances are the stock servo are the same speed. I have no idea how the torque could be twice stock. Not even sure why someone would modify it to do that if it was possible for such a small and light car like 1/5-1/6 scale

Old 01-14-2010, 05:17 PM
mooman007uk

as foxy said Ian reworks the motor and also the board...6v transit is .18 and on 11.4 it's supposedly quicker than a digi4.
One thing i will say is Ian Oddy is a renowned engine builder and also mods fg and harm diffs like no one else can...he also makes an ecu controller for on roads that really works...many euro racers run them.... he has an awesome rep in europe and is an accomplised racer also
He doesn't do the servos anymore unless you ask him but there's always one or 2 show up on uk fleabay every now and then
Old 01-14-2010, 05:20 PM
quarterscalelegends

OH, i mis understood. I thought your reference to .20 to 60 above was to the oddified servo.