Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

5T owners: Body = fustration?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 07:29 PM
Freezetron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5T owners: Body = fustration?

I've been curious about this for awhile and because im planning on getting a 5T in the near future, I need to know what others think about this. I like the fact that the buggy version of the buggy is so open and easy to get access to such as the motor, pull start, fuel tank, ect... With the 5T, obviously, a good portion of that is covered up by the body.

Have you gotten really fustrated about having to remove the body or bend it outa the way all the time to refill the gas tank, tweak the engine or just pull starting it that you wish you had got the buggy version instead where everything is open and easily accessible?

One thing I always liked about "trucks" and their bodies is that its cheap protection for all the equipment under it and keeps it from suffering a direct "blow" like the buggy version would during a rollover or a crash. The 5T also seems to be "bounce" better with its body and back onto its wheels vs the buggy as evident in this video at the 4:00 marker

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ3KZG0nFGA[/youtube]

I also like the fact that the 5T is more "updated" features and a larger motor then even the buggy 2.0 version. Incite into this concern? I guess I just wanna make the right decision and not have regrets from the vehicle being a pain to work on, especially after coming from my easy to take apart Savage Flux
Old 01-18-2010, 09:27 PM
clubin

Default RE: 5T owners: Body = fustration?

Don't think so hard about it, just buy a T and then you will know why we love them so much.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:57 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not a pain to work on at all, body comes off pretty easily and it does a good job of keeping the innards clean. Obviously it's not AS convenient as the buggy, but it's by no means an annoyance. Buy the 5T and be happy.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:11 AM
Freezetron

Thanks for input. Sorry but I suffer from OCD, so I tend to think about things like this
Old 01-20-2010, 08:43 AM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

I'd personally go with the 5B, I'm just not a big fan of the 5T's body and tire style... Honestly if it came with a Baja body I would have got it, but the extra cost just to go that route is what turned me away. They are the same basic vehicle with minor differences, get which ever you like better in the end, not what others suggest. Neither are going to have issues running over anything with there size compared to the Savages we've owned, which were still better than most things
Old 01-20-2010, 09:10 AM
Obeast44

If you want easy to work on, get a flat chassis vehicle like a Nutech, Redcat, or MCD . They are a breeze to tear down compared to the Baja. Yes HPI guys, ive owned BajaS before, and no im not saying they are better. Just easier to work on imo.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:11 AM
caseyddr

I don't know about your area, but there is absolutely no support for any of those any where near me, nor have I ever seen support for them. Do you do all your ordering online or something?
Old 01-20-2010, 09:23 PM
badboy2

obeast is right rampage is easy to work on!honestly when i got my rampage ive run it more than my 5t..so now i have to divide my attention evenly,since i have fg mt now too..hehe
Old 01-21-2010, 11:41 AM
Obeast44

ORIGINAL: caseyddr

I don't know about your area, but there is absolutely no support for any of those any where near me, nor have I ever seen support for them. Do you do all your ordering online or something?
DDM, LargescaleRC, Rampehopups carry every part anyone could ever need for them. The closest hobby shop I have is about 45 minutes away and doesnt know jack about anything largescale. They have a few Traxxas vehicles and nitro fuel, thats about it. My last conversation with them was over a year ago and went like this. I was running my Baja 5b and called them about getting some RPM arms for the front. I couldnt get them to understand what the Baja 5b was at first. When they finally figured out what car I had they said they couldnt order anything without a part number....I called them back with the RPM number and they qutoed me $45 for a set! They sell for $23 on ebay a set. Needless to say ive not contacted them since
Old 01-21-2010, 12:39 PM
caseyddr

Ah ok, didn't realize DDM offered that stuff. I guess my LHS can get them then My LHS has a pretty good Baja following and stocks the stuff regularly, so it works out great for me to have a Baja.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:14 PM
Mr.Freeze

I actually converted my 5b over to a T and prefer the larger tires and ground clearance but to each their own.
You only need to remove the body to gas it up, starting is no problem with the body on.

I went from this

to this

Old 01-21-2010, 04:19 PM
Freezetron

I really like that blue theme you had going on on the 5B! Those Volks bug bodies on any RC car are "blech" IMO. I don't see why people are so enamored with that vehicle
Old 01-21-2010, 04:22 PM
caseyddr

It's all personal taste man, I think the 5T stock body is hideous, and would much rather prefer the Baja Beetle. Looks much more true to scale.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:33 PM
Freezetron

I suppose so, i'm just not into older car generation styling period. I prefer modern " new age" angles and curves
Old 01-21-2010, 04:37 PM
caseyddr

ORIGINAL: Mr.Freeze

How'd you get the rims blue if I may ask?
Old 01-21-2010, 05:39 PM
Mr.Freeze

I had painted them then clear coated, but they didn't hold up well to the abuse, so I ended up stripping them back to origanal.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:59 PM
Freezetron

Painted rims don't last long period, especially fake chrome.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:17 PM
DarkFire989

Dying the rim would probably be the way to go.