Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Which Charger?

Old 02-01-2010, 07:11 PM
ByronRC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Charger?

I wouldn't be surprised if this has been asked a million times before, but what the heck. I need to source a good charger for my 5B and 5T. Here are my specifications. It has to plug into the wall or car battery and provide a great charge without damaging them. Yeah, as you can see I don't know much about batteries and chargers. So what do I need? Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:47 PM
Johnnysplits

Default RE: Which Charger?

What type of battery do you have?
Old 02-01-2010, 09:00 PM
ByronRC

The 5 cell hump packs that come with the HPI 5T and 5B
Old 02-01-2010, 09:08 PM
clubin

MRC Superbrain 989
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-and-Lead-Acid
You will never regret buying one. You can buy cheaper chargers, but this will do everything. Well almost everything.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:15 PM
ByronRC

Thanks a million clubin
Old 02-02-2010, 10:28 AM
jimjeep

There are lots of good chargers out there that will do the job for you. I would be careful with the Superbrain line of chargers as some of my customers as well as myself had experienced issues when trying to charge LiPo batteries and one of the chargers two outputs burnt itself out after about a years worth of use. For a do-it-all charger the Venom Pro chargers are full of features and comes with a lot of accessories. I've been using one at the store with no problems and you get a lot of charger for the money, although I will admit I have seen a couple returns on these as well. From what I have experienced the Great Planes Triton series chargers are really well made and work very well, but they do not include any charge cords for the batteries, so you will have to get those seperately. For a good low cost charger that will charge Nicad and NiMH packs there is the Prophet Sport AC/DC charger from Dynamite that does the job nicely and features a loud alarm to let you know when the battery is done charging. I hope this is of good help to you whatever you choose.

Good Luck,
Jim.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:37 AM
dc2 man
Banned

i have been using a TRAXXAS quick charger to charge all my r/c battries for years and it is totally AWESOME its a peak detecting unit which gives you a full charge everytime,its also a one hour charger so its very convienant.

it has a blinking light which detects a full charge after an hour,i like the fact that its so simple and let you know whats going on not like these patethic big overnight things lol

i charge 4500 mah packs the whole time which are big and they always last me 2-3days after charging which is excellent.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:49 PM
rangerfredbob
My Feedback: (13)

I have a Triton, I love the thing, I charge anything from single cell NiCd to 12V ATV type batteries with the thing, I have a converted computer power supply to run it at home and the 12V battery to charge on the go (either the one I take with me or the one in the car). it's relatively easy to use, but like said, doesn't come with attachments...
Old 02-03-2010, 10:26 PM
ByronRC

I was wondering about the Venom Pro as well. My neighbor might be selling his for a 100 bucks. Is that a good deal.