Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

I am rebuilding my shocks now

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 05:11 PM
Lars from Norway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I am rebuilding my shocks now

I have [link=http://www.rc-car-online-shop.de/cgi-bin/cosmoshop/lshop.cgi?action=showdetail&wkid=31362&ls=d&nc=1265753091-31370&rubnum=&artnum=fg_6480&file=&gesamt_zeilen=0TsucheSto%DFd%E4mpfer]this type[/link] and i am about to pour the oil into them.And here comes the question;shall i top them up with the piston in the bottom position in the housing,and then put the bladder on so the rest (read:the volume of the bladder) will pour out?I know the rest about air bubbles and all that...
Old 02-09-2010, 08:24 PM
Bob-Stormer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I am rebuilding my shocks now

What I usually try to do.

Piston at the bottom, fill it half way and slowly move the shaft up and down in the oil (yea...yea... stop the snickering) You do it slowly so you don't create bubbles but let the air out from under the piston. Pull the piston back to the bottom, and fill the rest of the way up. put the bladder on the body so that it's a perfect fit, not to much oil and it's leaking every where, not to little so that it's not touching the bladder. just touching the bladder. Put the cap on and tighten. The idea is to have the shock full, with no air and when the piston moves through it's stroke, the bladder compensates for the increased volume of displaced oil from the shock shaft.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:47 PM
aluminum crusher

ORIGINAL: Bob-Stormer

What I usually try to do.

Piston at the bottom, fill it half way and slowly move the shaft up and down in the oil (yea...yea... stop the snickering) You do it slowly so you don't create bubbles but let the air out from under the piston. Pull the piston back to the bottom, and fill the rest of the way up. put the bladder on the body so that it's a perfect fit, not to much oil and it's leaking every where, not to little so that it's not touching the bladder. just touching the bladder. Put the cap on and tighten. The idea is to have the shock full, with no air and when the piston moves through it's stroke, the bladder compensates for the increased volume of displaced oil from the shock shaft.
And that's correct as said above... but if the shaft is kind of to stiff while pushing it up after doing the above steps, then push it up all the way up and hold, and then slightly crack open the shock cap to release some build up of pressure. Then re-tighten the shock cap while the shaft is still in the all the way up position. You should then have one silky smooth shaft stroke from top to bottom & bottom to top
Old 02-10-2010, 08:39 AM
Lars from Norway

Ahh,thanks a lot for good advices guys!Off to stroke some shafts now