Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Need help deciding what to buy!New to this and need your input!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Need help deciding what to buy!New to this and need your input!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 07:18 PM
SrtJake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help deciding what to buy!New to this and need your input!

Hi everyone,I am pretty new to this.I need help deciding on a choice of car.I know two things,I want a gasoline 2 stroke and a 1/5 scale or bigger.Otherwise,4WD or RWD,buggy or monster?I want something RTR and I don't wanna have to fool with upgrading parts that are inferior.I basically just wanna leave it alone.I'm not so good at tinkering with stuff like this.I'm pretty sure I will be getting whatever I get off of Ebay,and am unsure what makers and models are superior in this field.So can anyone out there help point a newcomer in the right direction??Thanks all!
Old 02-19-2010, 09:29 PM
Johnnysplits

Default RE: Need help deciding what to buy!New to this and need your input!

Going on what you are looking for, I would suggest you stay away from large scales...especially gas. These vehicles need regular maintenance. You need to have some sort of basic mechanical ability to own one, or you can keep returning to your lhs to have them do it which will cost a small fortune. Any r/c will require tinkering...be it suspension setup, electrical work, all kinds of adjustments, maintaining, etc.To be honest ,you would be better off with a cheap1/10 scale electric rtr. The big gassers are over your head.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:32 PM
DarkFire989

Gasoline engines are essential idiot proof. Once you tune them your set. Maitance for them is minimal really IMO. Just clean the air filter every once in awhile. Every RC car while require work eventually, its just their nature. None of these cars are cheap. How much do you want to spend? A FG Monster truck is really durable, most of them come without a radio and servos, but some sites sell them RTR.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:51 PM
SrtJake

I had read the FAQ about the large scales.Very informative.Years ago I owned an HPI RS4 RTR.That thing was a blast when it was running right.I ended up hating it and giving it away.No more nitro for me.I had figured that these were pretty idiot proof being a 2 stroke.I had saw in the FAQ that most of the suspensions and servos are lacking out ot the box.That is what I was refering too,as I don't really want to get into changing things like that.I just wanted recommendations on what were better models out of the box to avoid changes and were sufficient stock.I know the initial start out cost would be higher,but less down the road.I just can't decide between a stadium truck,monster or buggy,and 2WDor 4WD.Not real sure wht the handling differences are betwen all that.I am willing to spend around $1k but it should be RTR.Thanks for the help so far!
Old 02-20-2010, 08:32 AM
fourwheeler

ORIGINAL: SrtJake

I had read the FAQ about the large scales.Very informative.Years ago I owned an HPI RS4 RTR.That thing was a blast when it was running right.I ended up hating it and giving it away.No more nitro for me.I had figured that these were pretty idiot proof being a 2 stroke.I had saw in the FAQ that most of the suspensions and servos are lacking out ot the box.That is what I was refering too,as I don't really want to get into changing things like that.I just wanted recommendations on what were better models out of the box to avoid changes and were sufficient stock.I know the initial start out cost would be higher,but less down the road.I just can't decide between a stadium truck,monster or buggy,and 2WD or 4WD.Not real sure wht the handling differences are betwen all that.I am willing to spend around $1k but it should be RTR.Thanks for the help so far!
Do you have a good place to run? Do you plan to race any?

Old 02-20-2010, 01:01 PM
SrtJake

Yes I have plenty of places to go let it rip..I had not planned on doing any kind or racing.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:33 PM
AntCamp

I would recommend starting with something like a HPI Baja 5t or B v2. They come with everything you need to get started as well as being good quality out of the box unless you plan on beating the crap out of it!! You can always upgrade components later on as you get further into the hobby! They are also generally readily available at hobby stores and have great parts backing and support! Down the road if you get hardcore into 1/5 scale you can purchase many other vehicles but finding parts although available is not as easy as HPI! Just my thoughts!! I myself have a MCD Racerunner Version 1 and a HPI Baja 5T......Completely different vehicles but have strong and weak points to both! I must say that I generally bash around with the 5T a lot more than the MCD!! Upgrades for the HPI cars are endless if you go that way!!!
Old 02-20-2010, 03:06 PM
IloveMYxt2

Look into the HPI Baja 5b or 5t (truck version). They come RTR and are probably the best bashers for 5th scale. Product support is awesome, you can find parts anywhere and most local hobby shops carry parts.

But I will tell you, if your into bashing and jumping and beating it up, you will have to pay. I have one and I have spent quite a few dollars to strengthen it. The motor is not the problem, its the suspension, servos, chassis, etc. You have to remember it is a 25 pound beast. But if you have money to spend on parts like RPM arms, chassis braces, and servos, then go for it.

If not, I recommend a brushless 1/10 or 1/8 scale car. Easy maintenance, fast, and more reliable.