Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

noises

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 02:35 AM
1/5 scale mad man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noises

k i have a problem and trying to figuer it out i have a hpi baja 5b and only had it for bout 2 weeks and decided to take it off road for the first time and i was running for bout 5 min until the tires completly locked up and wouldnt move at all so i went home took all the gears off and every thing looked fine so i put it back together so i decided to try and run it again and it was running fine for about 10 min but then it started makeing this like ting ting ting noise while driveing and some screatching noise when you start to slow down i finnaly found out it is coming from the clutch bell area but every thing looks fine like i said,so i was wondering if any one thinks they might know what the problem is o rhave any suggestions. also i cant be the clutch its self could it because if it was the clutch it would not move at all correct
Old 05-17-2010, 02:44 AM
bentley marshall

Default RE: noises

sounds like a broken clutch spring
Old 05-17-2010, 02:46 AM
1/5 scale mad man

but if it was a broken clutch spring would the car move at all?
Old 05-17-2010, 02:50 AM
bentley marshall

it will still move just not very well
the lock up u had would have been bit of the spring locking it up take the clutch bell off and have a look
Old 05-17-2010, 02:54 AM
1/5 scale mad man

k i will do that for sure but the other weird thing is it drives just fine no decrease in speed or anything just sounds god awful
Old 05-17-2010, 03:05 AM
bentley marshall

well if its not the clutch is will be in the gear box but start with the clutch first its got to come off any way to get to the gear box
Old 05-17-2010, 03:07 AM
sparky 25

When my baja started making a mettalic sound and locked the rear wheels,

i took off the clutch bell and found one of the clutch bolts had backed out a bit,

causing it to rub on the inside of the clutchbell,

take the cb off and have a look at it any marks on the back side of it, this will help you see whats going on in there,

Old 05-17-2010, 03:14 AM
1/5 scale mad man

yeah sparky that sounds like that could be the problem cause i can almost mimic the sound im hearing if i take a screw driver and tap the clutch bell like that ringing noise so im gonna take that off and see if i can figuer out if something is loose if not i will be back for some more help lol thanks for the suggestions this is really bugging me expecially since its almost a brand new car
Old 05-17-2010, 03:29 PM
bentley marshall

what did ya find wrong ???
Old 05-17-2010, 04:36 PM
1/5 scale mad man

k i just got done takeing it apart and could not find any thing wrong so i put it all back together and took it out side and now its fine??? this is weird hopefully its not just temporary i am gonna take it out tommorow and really test it to see if it keeps on working okay thanks for all you help and i will be back if the problem comes back again
Old 05-17-2010, 06:50 PM
bentley marshall

ok may have been a stone in the clutch ...yep give it ****
Old 05-17-2010, 07:31 PM
CTDave
My Feedback: (1)

Keep an eye on the pinion bolt too,if it gets loose it will do the same thing.Till it gets real loose and then it won't go anywhere.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:48 PM
1/5 scale mad man

yeah i put some locktight on the bolt so it shouldnt go any where unless i want it too
Old 05-18-2010, 04:52 AM
TIGER76

Double check the bolts going into the clutch shoes mine had backed out and locked up the back wheels after playing doughnuts on the beach lol worth a check m8y
Old 05-20-2010, 09:32 AM
dude-

If the clutch spring broke, you would have a hard time starting because it is engaged as you pull the pullstart. The Ting Ting sound at idle from my experience is from the brake disc banging at idle from the vibration. Also check if the sound appears while the car is trying to engage at high idle. when your idle is high or spring is letting go, you may be at the point where it is slightly on and off touching the clutch bell causing all your metal parts semi engage and release. Just look at the clutch bell for any quick jerks.
But if you are getting it while on throttle and its jamming up the wheels, I would check the brake discs first to see if there is something stuck between the two disc. I had that happen to me when the star in between the two disc broke and a pebble got in between.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:21 PM
1/5 scale mad man

well i got it running fine and i gave it hell lol trying to get it to mess up if it was going to but it never did so idk what the problem was maybe like you guys said something got stuck in there rock or something. but thanks for all the extra tips cause if my car ever does this again i have a whole list of things to check now.