Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Cheap 5th scale Prices, where to look ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Cheap 5th scale Prices, where to look ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 07:00 PM
PeeBeMe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap 5th scale Prices, where to look ?

Hi guys, I'm looking for a 5th scale off road R/C. Can u guys & gilrs help me out on where to look ? What are the price range of getting a 5th scale R/C, and what sites should I look at ? PLEASE HELP ME OUT ! I already have other R/C's like: Duratrax Raze & Duratrax Raze .ST - Traxxas Jato 3.3 - shcumacher Menace .21 - 2 HPI Savages "savage.4.6 & savage XL Lrp. 30 so I know a lil' bit about this sport ! I'm not tired of Nitro but looking at my friends 5th scale R/C's it looks alot more Easy & FuN ! I hate tuning - I hate checking my Temp all the time & I HATE GLOW PLUGS !!!!!!!
Old 03-28-2010, 08:12 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Cheap 5th scale Prices, where to look ?

Friends don't let friends run nitro

Welcome to the 1/5 side, check out innovativehobby.com as well, they have good selection and prices.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:43 PM
clubin

Chaep and 5Th scale should not be used in the same sentence. LOL

You buy cheap you get cheap. It could give you such a bad taste for the hobby that you will hate it. Look at the Nutech, or a used FG, or maybe even a used HPI baja 5 T or B.

Welcome to the world of 5th scale.

What is your budget?
Old 03-29-2010, 02:37 AM
roccos_van
My Feedback: (1)

The HPI 5B is the best starting point for a n00b.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:47 AM
Sherv

Well what price point are you lookin at?
Rwd? 4wd?
Buggy? Truggy? MT? On road?
Does being able to buy parts from local hobby shop matter to you? (HPI Presence in shops for bajas)
You looking for a kit? Roller? RTR? Almost RTR (no electrics)?
5th scale = FUN... IMO easier to work on... And no more 8min run time with 32.99 per gallon Nitro fuel

Scott at ZeroGravity RC is the man! He responds to any questions, great prices, fast shipping, and he is a hobbyist like us so we should support him!
Scott has Nutechs
for FG/HPI Baja/Rampage then go to DavesDiscountMotors
For MCD go to Largescalerc.com (Innovative Hobby)

After looking for almost a year (very indecisive) I came to a realization that $999 is the sweet number for a good quality mid range 5th scale.

Rwd
FG MT
FG Beetle
FG Stadium Truck
FG Rubicon
More rwd FGs on DDM (Daves Motors)
HPI Baja 5b. If you want a 5b then get the 5b SS. Its cheaper and judging by your post you prolly have a spare radio. Plus you get to build it from ground up ( LOVE KITS because of this )
Redcat DuneRunner (comes in 4wd too)

4wd
All of the Nutech Offroads
FG has 4wd kits and rtrs of the models above
MCD Rally
MCD Buggy
MCD Baja 1000 (sweet ass trophy truck)
RedCat MT/TT/DuneRunner
Old 03-29-2010, 09:58 AM
mooman007uk

Always a tough one to answer as we don't know what you're preference is as regards 2wd or 4wd

for 2wd
FG's are OK and can be upgraded to 4wd, not the toughest of trucks and parts availabilty is hit and miss in USA, whenever i needed something..which was after every run..90% of the time no one in the states had the parts i needed so it sat benched 50% or more of it's life with me, and parts are retardedly expensive especially upgrades

5B awesome in sand , OK as a basher, available everywhere as are parts and millions of upgrades but your stuck with 2wd
5T a more expensive 5B with some extra plastic stuck to it

rest of the 2wd out there are mostly clones of the above choices or full spec race models that are well pricey and don't have full parts backing here...elcon, lauterbacher, H.A.R.M, contrast

4wd
there's quite a few cheap and nasties out there that appear cheap at $5-700 but will cost you twice that to get reliable...many of these bargain RC's come with a seperate box full of problems[&:] so I wont mention them by name, you'll know who they are by their absence

MCD expensive and still comes with problems, the V4 is supposed to have fixed some of them but still uses the planetary diffs that have had issues in the past, no centre diff as standard, expensive to repair...more orientated to racing... proven by many as not very bashable especially the MT with it's big tires, I've had a personal touchy feely of the new V4 and am somewhat leary of the new plastic used...seems very brittle with no give like bacolite...time will tell on that one

FG basically their 2wd cars with a belt drive 4wd system bolted on...so as 2wd fg but more expensive to begin with...not heard of any problems with the belt other than crud can get into the channel it runs in

Nutech, relative new comer that has vastly improved the old smartech TB1/titan platform..many parts don't interchange. Centre diff is standard and parts and upgrades are inexpensive compared to others..all parts are available in N.America. Very capable machines, super durable, very good quality and well priced at a grand, best factory support of any rc manufacturer who listen and they remedy issues that arise in very short time...by far the best value 1/5 currently available IMO
Old 03-29-2010, 10:40 AM
Croozer

You can't go wrong with a Baja 5T.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:43 AM
Sherv

ORIGINAL: Croozer

You can't go wrong with a Baja 5T.
The only problem I have with it is the price. The 5b SS tho.. is exceptional value!