Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

ODDIFIED

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 04:39 PM
dc2 man
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ODDIFIED

Hi guys just to let you know my birthday is on the way and i have been told what is on the cards from the wifey for my elcon beetle....

just spoke to ian oddie about the engine i want,i guess it will be a second engine for my beetle,being honest least for a change the cad will/could be fitted to my ONROAD EVO and this red top engine will be fitted to my beetle,man this engine is supposed to be crazy,comes with ecu also.....i will be getting the red top "heli" tuned engine and super oddified 4 shoe clutch.

also wifey told me she has the fg evo 09 power pipe ordered for my onroad evo car too.

Click for fullsize

so guys any feedback or if any of you know anything of the RED TOP oddie engine let me know.

regards

dc2
Old 03-29-2010, 09:48 PM
Antler87

Default RE: ODDIFIED

Didn't you just get that CAT5 engine not long ago? I know you claimed 7.5hp from it, and I'm not calling you a liar, but can the new engine really be called crazy compared to the 7.5hp you now have?
Old 03-30-2010, 04:29 AM
dgav407

I have one (CRRC Pro top end and modified CY bottom end) and I'm well pleased with it. It is not the most powerful engine money can buy but it is tractable and delivers the power/torque where you want it for racing a heavy largescale car. The engine was serviced late last year and dynoed again and is producing alittle more power than when first dynoed (see below). I have yet to have it dynoed with the ECU wired to it and/or with the Victory RC Pro pipe. The engine was dynoed without an air filter, FG Big Power on road pipe, Shell V-Power fuel and either Castrol XR77 or A747 oil.

Clive
Old 03-30-2010, 08:02 AM
dc2 man
Banned

hey guys YES i do have the cad engine but its the wifey thats getting this for me so i dont mind lol

its something differnt anyway,besides i love having lots of decent power units around for off/onroad aplications.....

you know yourselves the way the auld addiction kicks in.

dgav407

man thats impressive,thanks for the dyno and information.......
6.1 is bloddy impressive,i love the look of oddified stuff..

you see its not all about outright hp figures either cause every tuner has there own tricks.

so the oddified may even feel more powerfull than the cad,WHO KNOWS!!

i dont know,i will wait and see.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:41 AM
Antler87

Nice! When I get my Baja I was planning on collecting parts gradually and building a 30.5. How much are these engine you guys have with 6+hp? Might be worth the extra cash to just buy one of these.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:01 AM
mooman007uk

the torque curve is what does it for me...look how flat it is from 7500 to 16000....
HP figures are not the ones you should be looking at really as they mean next to bugger all, it's just peak power...torque is what gets you moving, without decent torque a 6hp motor might take 5 blocks to get to peak power by which time a 3.5 hp motor with more torque has disappeared into the distance, also if the torque curve starts at 10000 with an 8000 clutch spring it'll be a slug off the line. much more than just simple HP affects how well a motor will run in an rc
Old 03-30-2010, 11:24 AM
JCBaja

the torque curve is very impressive with that motor.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:02 PM
Plague

ORIGINAL: mooman007uk

the torque curve is what does it for me...look how flat it is from 7500 to 16000....
HP figures are not the ones you should be looking at really as they mean next to bugger all, it's just peak power...torque is what gets you moving, without decent torque a 6hp motor might take 5 blocks to get to peak power by which time a 3.5 hp motor with more torque has disappeared into the distance, also if the torque curve starts at 10000 with an 8000 clutch spring it'll be a slug off the line. much more than just simple HP affects how well a motor will run in an rc
ECXATLY

Most people just keep looking at the HP... but as you writes. forget about HP.

I also have an Oddie Red head... and they really do fly.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:25 PM
Rallyfinnen

I have never seen a dyno graph of a two stroke engine fitted with a pipe where the torque curve looked like that..
I think either he is a magical guru, or the curve is very approximate.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:33 PM
JCBaja

perhaps this dyno run was made with his ECUactive? could the ecu have a program in it which would set the ignition curve in such a way that torque remained nearly constant throughout the power band?
Old 03-30-2010, 12:35 PM
Plague

As far as I'm informed then Ian has been doing this for 15 years (And tunning/dragracing 1:1 cars)
I you do i little homework, then you will find, that his engine's has been winning world and European Championsships for MANY years.

In short this guy know a thing or two about these 2 stroke engines
Old 03-30-2010, 12:51 PM
dgav407

ORIGINAL: Plague

As far as I'm informed then Ian has been doing this for 15 years (And tunning/dragracing 1:1 cars)
I you do i little homework, then you will find, that his engine's has been winning world and European Championsships for MANY years.

In short this guy know a thing or two about these 2 stroke engines
+1

The engine was dynoed without the ECU being connected, Ian said the ECU will increase the power by between 0.2 and 0.3 hp. I use the ECU so I can change the ignition map to suit different tuned pipes and also for where I'm racing at different tracks (size, layout) and I might need more low or top end power/torque.

Ian develops and tests the engines at race meetings throughout the world, he is a multiple national on and off road largescale champion plus of course he was world champion in 2005 and finished third in 2007....and he has raced for FG, Lauterbacher, Harm, MCD, Contrast...

Clive
Old 03-30-2010, 12:56 PM
Rallyfinnen

A very broadband pipe or a stock can usually gives a very flat curve, but then it would not be putting out that much power.. Or does it have a LOT of cc?
Usually there is a lot of ups and downs on different revs depending on pulsations/resonances in the engine.

Here are some examples of a dyno runs i did (before/after porting), only HP curves though, but it gives you an idea.

http://i49.tinypic.com/1ywn7q.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/4tt3tj.jpg

I'm not saying they are good curves in any way (crap engine & pipe), but usually the graphs look like roller coasters if they are not heavily filtered.
I was also running a home built programmable ignition in these runs.

EDIT: A lot of comments came up while I was writing I'm aware of Oddies credentials, and indeed he's good if he built an engine/pipe combo that gives such a nice power band!

Old 03-30-2010, 01:10 PM
Plague

Not sure if this is what you mean.....

But if you study his srpeadsheet, then it states that it is done by 13 measurements. Yours must be made with a lot more, hence all these small "bumps" you have...

And yes, I could also not believe it he first time I saw it, to flat a curve. But after trying his engine then I am convinced. I have tried PaSe, Oniells and some others (even made a few myself) ALL of them was pretty normal at bottom rpm, but went crazy about mid range. It was like having a HUGE turbo lag. His engine has NO "turbo lag" at all.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:17 PM
dc2 man
Banned

dont get me wrong the cad engine is AWESOME.......unreal power.

just want to try something new & differnt.

i guess i cant comment on mr oddified until i install it
Old 03-30-2010, 01:22 PM
Plague

ORIGINAL: dc2 man

dont get me wrong the cad engine is AWESOME.......unreal power.

just want to try something new & differnt.

i guess i cant comment on mr oddified until i install it
Has anyone of us said anything bad about your CAD '(in this thread [sm=lol.gif]) ???
Sure it has a lot of power, no doubt about that, it's pretty easy to see.... The Oddie, has a lot more useable powerband
(isn't that what we have been discussing here ?? )

With the chance of sound as a fool.... Then I would say, just wait until you try it they are trully awesome
(Looks like the CAD has the same "downside" as I tried to explain with the turbo lag)
Old 03-30-2010, 01:25 PM
dc2 man
Banned

Has anyone of us said anything bad about your CAD '(in this thread [img]../../../../upfiles/smiley/lol.gif[/img] ) ???

QUOTE:

did i say anybody did???

yes we are discussing oddified but i was asked why i was getting an oddified,this ok ?

i did start the thread,or did i? [&:]

lol

Old 03-30-2010, 01:28 PM
Plague

did i say anybody did
No you didn't... just didn't read your post as a reply to another post (maybe because you left out the "quote".. but nevermind )
Old 03-30-2010, 01:30 PM
dc2 man
Banned

mmm [&:]

damm you are good at confusing people

whatever man no harm done anywhere im sure.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:31 PM
Rallyfinnen

Yeah, you're right, it seems to be based on a few measurements, that probably explains the flat curve.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to discredit Oddie, I was just a little confused with the curve, it just seemed 'too good to be true' at first.

It would be nice to see some videos when you're running it!

Old 03-30-2010, 01:34 PM
dc2 man
Banned

yeah definatly.....

(if it me your talking about a video)

i will have a video up as soon as engine arrives and jumps in to the elcon drivetrain in my beetle.

cant wait to run it..

im sending complete 4 bolt bottom end of an older engine to him next week,he is adding top end and doing the rest.

i should have it for exactly 26th may,i know a long way off but.................not really.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:45 PM
Plague

ORIGINAL: Rallyfinnen

Yeah, you're right, it seems to be based on a few measurements, that probably explains the flat curve.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to discredit Oddie, I was just a little confused with the curve, it just seemed 'too good to be true' at first.

It would be nice to see some videos when you're running it!

Unfortuantly no videos [:@]

Just took a look at youtube, found this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4Q7feq8JQ4
Not that it tells a whole lot [] and not someone I know..

im sending complete 4 bolt bottom end of an older engine to him next week,he is adding top end and doing the rest.
What make ? Zenoah or CY ?
I didn't send him any part, and he used a CY bottom end.
I asked him why he used a CY, because I have always heard the Zenoah is better quality.
His reply was that he find the CY bottom a little stronger.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:49 PM
dc2 man
Banned

mmm that doesnt go like an oddified.

i would think stock engine in that.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:53 PM
Plague

mmm that doesnt go like an oddified.

i would think stock engine in that.
No, it doesn't sound right....
The guy just write it is an Oddie, but just like you, I am not sure. NOT AT ALL

But I am pretty sure the some of these are using an Oddie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpEoee7Ap7Q

I just dont know which ones.... They all go like crazy
Old 03-30-2010, 02:22 PM
Rallyfinnen

Could be a bad pipe on a good engine too.

Looking forward to a video of your car then dc2man!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.