Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Engine tune-ups/repairs - Shop repair or DIY?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.
View Poll Results: A poll
I do it all myself!
96.00%
I take it to the shop...
4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Engine tune-ups/repairs - Shop repair or DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 10:38 PM
jigawatt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine tune-ups/repairs - Shop repair or DIY?

I'm looking for a little feedback, as I'm debating on opening up to 1/5 scale and scooter engine tune-ups, repairs and parts sales. We've got a power equipment business that we are getting off the ground and am remaining VERY cautious about venturing into r/c too (local people heckle me, assuming they want discounts... moochers). So now, my question to you guys... and I'm already pretty sure I know the answer... do you do all the tuning and so called "major" repairs on your own? Or do you leave it to a shop/professional? My money is on at least 90% being DIY, with the exception of those who struggle with understanding carburetion.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:44 PM
Obeast44

Default RE: Engine tune-ups/repairs - Shop repair or DIY?

The only thing I dont do myself is port work. Everything else is pretty straight forward.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:46 PM
jigawatt

lemme know if the poll isn't working, I've never made one on this forum software. I made the first mistake of not clicking "no deadline"... Should be good now.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:02 AM
clubin

I do it all myself. |I have to there is always some tweaking. The liability would be killer for you tuning these things, they do fail. If sombody buys a 5th scale and can't fix it themself they shouldn't have bought it. My LHS doesn't even do any repairs. They will point you in the rite direction if you are a nubie but that's it.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:52 AM
mecano

I have learned that if if you want something done right you do it yourself.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:54 AM
mooman007uk

If you're good at tuning nitros and setting up electric stuff then you may do OK, we have a LHS here on the Island that does the servicing/tuning etc for 1/8 and 1/10 and he's always busy and charges $50 an hour or so. As for 1/5 i think as the mean age is 35-40ish nearly all of us do everything ourselves, most have been thru elec/nitro and have a decent understanding of how to set things up.
the mean age is coming down with the flood of cheaper 4wd rtr's on the market but it's still in the big boys toys category
Old 04-25-2010, 12:35 PM
jigawatt

ORIGINAL: mecano

I have learned that if if you want something done right you do it yourself.
I've learned that many with that mindset try it and mess things up and leave it to us to fix it. Some people are their own worst enemies when it comes to maintenance. You'll see that in some of the "manufacturer support" forums here lol. That and our most recent: E85 in a Toro push mower.

50 bucks an hour is insane... I'd never expect that, let alone customers to pay it. That's a good fraction of a new engine...
Old 05-12-2010, 08:15 PM
sahoo

depends if i have time or not. for few beers. i take it to the shop and hang out for the nite!
Old 05-12-2010, 08:30 PM
nothinbetr2do

ORIGINAL: Obeast44

The only thing I dont do myself is port work. Everything else is pretty straight forward.
+1 other than the porting and other things done inside a motor(i can rebuild a motor, just not take a dremel to it) i do it all myself, it's part of the hobby for me
Old 05-12-2010, 11:03 PM
dealwithit
My Feedback: (55)

yah i do all my repairs myself, there usually isnt a hobby shop anywhere near me. plus its hard to justify those rates for something so simple, thats just used for fun.