Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Stock HPI body reborn!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 04:55 PM
Freezetron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock HPI body reborn!

Allright, my stock baja body has been loosing paint since I got it back in march and its been getting worse with ever run. However, I just didn't have the funds for a new body of any kind but I also hated the way my stock body was looking. So, always one for using ingenuity, I decided that it was time to give my stock body a new look and lease on life on a small budget. Here's how it went down:

Yep, this is what happens when the stock paint fails

Never cared much for the stock sticker job from the start, so that was the first thing to go. Was glad to find they were easy to remove with no adhesive left over to clean up.

Following that, I blew off as much loose paint as possible with my air compressor at 125 PSI. After that, I gave the body a bath in the tub with a scotch bright pad to help remove any dirt/dust/loose paint

With the body stripped and cleaned as best I could, it was time to prep for paint

Dayum, these baja bodies take alot of paint! I needed 2 cans minimum to get a decent new coat!

With the paint coming out satisfactory with two just cans, I cleaned the outside with some Windex Green clean for the new sticker job. Thanks again MonsterMan for the sticker hookup!

After some careful planning of sticker layout, she's ready to come outside again! For $12 and a few hours of elbow grease, I think it came out pretty good!

Old 05-25-2010, 05:03 PM
milligan

Default RE: Stock HPI body reborn!

Good job,Looks awsome !
Old 05-25-2010, 05:08 PM
Lars from Norway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! That came out nice! Actually, it couldn't get much worse either I know, these 1/5 bodies drink paint like water, i normally use 5-6 Tamiya rattlecans to cover it.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:33 PM
DarkFire989

Looks awesome! Didnt HPI have a recall on their bodies for faulty paint?
Old 05-25-2010, 05:37 PM
Freezetron

ORIGINAL: DarkFire989

Looks awesome! Didnt HPI have a recall on their bodies for faulty paint?
I do remember something like that, but I think they just replaced peoples bodies with faulty paint like mine out of the box and asked for a replacement. Kudo's to HPI for that
Old 05-25-2010, 06:22 PM
dealwithit
My Feedback: (55)

looks pretty good man!
Old 06-07-2010, 09:16 PM
hndaman1
My Feedback: (6)

now if you cover the inside with aluminum duct tape it will protect it,and it is also super light weight also..[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=wink_smile.gif]