Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

1/4 scale help

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 06:56 AM
kieran.mcb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/4 scale help

Sorry for the vague title but I had no idea what to call it.

Here's what I want to do. I want to build an exact 1/4 scale model of a 1970 plymouth barracuda with a 2nd generation 426 hemi as a life long project. I want to know what sort of machines would I need to build such a project? And what would the cost of such a project be?

Here's a little of my background knowledge to base things off. I'm currently 18 and an IT student (so any computer work is no problem at all). I have been involved with RC airplanes for two years now, so I'm fairly knowledgeful about RC related stuff. I have done a bit of metalworking in my spare time, and know the basics about machines (lathes, mills, welders, plasma cutters, laser cutters).
I have been fascinated by RC cars, specifically quarter scale. And I though why not attempt a build of one of my all time favourite cars as a life project if it's fesible. If it doesn't take too long to build, I may produce multiple copies.

I have Autodesk 3ds and AutoCAD for all the design work. For machines I was thinking about needing a CNC mill, CNC lathe, laser cutter, plus stuff like a MIG welder (maybe a tig welder) for fabricating the body. I would love to do most the machining work myself, so machines like a CNC mill will have to be fairly acurate to mill the engine block.

Oh edit: I would also love to RC this thing. I know hitec produce a 26KG tourge servo at 6V so I should be able to manage it.

I would be pleased if you can help me estimate what machinery and costs will be involved before I start this thing
I don't want to spend hundreds of hours researching and drawing files to find I don't have the money haha.

Thanks for any help anyone gives me.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:29 AM
kenazzo2000

Default RE: 1/4 scale help

if i was you id just go for it cost wise you can never tell it depends on what things you use and so on
Old 06-09-2010, 07:33 AM
DarkFire989

Money is going to be a huge concern. Are you going to try to make the engine work? If so your probably going to have to set at least 10k USD alone to research and build that. Or just buy a connely V8 engine for 6k.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:53 AM
fibergless

Huge Project!! I've dreamed about a big scale hotrod when I was 18 and started it a few months ago.I'm 46 now and still dreaming about .I know that a can finish it  with a low budget.    It need to be skilled to make all the work such as welding, milling, and thousand other things. I've done several XXL Boats and Quaterscale cars but this is a too big project for me. I wish you good luck
Old 06-09-2010, 12:25 PM
kenazzo2000

ORIGINAL: fibergless

Huge Project!! I've dreamed about a big scale hotrod when I was 18 and started it a few months ago.I'm 46 now and still dreaming about .I know that a can finish it with a low budget. It need to be skilled to make all the work such as welding, milling, and thousand other things. I've done several XXL Boats and Quaterscale cars but this is a too big project for me. I wish you good luck
thats why i build my cars as simpile as possibile you need to much money for those other cars so i build mine simpile and have fun with them
Old 06-09-2010, 02:11 PM
bentley marshall

good to see another kiwi in to 1/4 scale ......have a look around http://www.quarterscalelegends.com
Old 06-09-2010, 03:22 PM
kieran.mcb

If this is going to be a lifetime project (hopefully done in 30 years), then estimate I should be able to afford spending 100k.
And yes Darkfire, A working engine would top it all off. What's better then a great looking model... One that you then fire up and sounds scale

Thanks for the site Bentley, I will have a look around when I have more time.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:21 PM
fibergless

You know , in my former project i had always  moments  thinking there is no future and i really never will finish it. Every builder for sure have up and downs during the building time, Hopefully they were only short moments and that mad ideas were gone. I can not imagine doing this for 30 years and each time i'm working on a project i've the next in my mind.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:43 PM
Johnnysplits

hey kieran,
I think its way cool that your 18 and into a ' 70 cuda!!! So many guys your age are into the friggin rice burners with 24" rims and a stupid ass muffler that looks like an exhaust stack from a tractor. I've loved that car since im 15. Im 42 now and still cant afford one. Anyway, I wish you all the luck in your project...just stick with it until completion !!!!
Old 06-09-2010, 05:17 PM
Dirty_Vinylpusher

Hey mate check out [link=http://www.quarterscaleprostreetberetta.com/]THIS SITE[/link] and have a chat to the owner.
He's working on a homemade Beretta.
Will be able to help you out for sure.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:41 PM
Soloratov
My Feedback: (1)

JohnnySplits....your absolutely on the money my man. I may be almost thirty, so not quite as young, but I would do anything....yeah just about anything for a 68 Charger. Beauty on power! AAs far as building a 1/4 scale Cuda...you have my hopes and dreams riding with ya on this one Kieran. It may take a long time, it may not. All depends on what you are willing to put into it. PLAN HEAVY! Start now with drawings and designs, and work your way into the build. I think this could be truly amazing to see, and wish you well. Hope to see your work in 20 years!
Old 06-09-2010, 05:43 PM
kieran.mcb

Thanks Johnny. I have always been into the old school v8 muscle cars. Nothing can compare to the shear power from these beasts

Dirty, I saw his site this morning. I didn't think about contacting him though, however I'm sure he may be helpful. I also found a site of a full scale hemi builder, and he has put hundreds of pictures onto his website. I will most likely contact him as well.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:52 PM
kieran.mcb

Couldn't edit my last page, so sorry for the double post.

Thanks Soloratov. I will be planning this fully before I undertake any building work. If it doesn't fit together in 3D then most likely it won't fit if I made the parts. So all components will be draw in CAD and in 3D.

I will still have a lot to learn to design and build a beauty like this, however I just love a challenge.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:24 PM
Soloratov

Well you know if you need help with design, we are all here to help. I would be happy to help with any CAD design questions/guidance you want. All the guys in this thread so far are great guys who all have talent in creating something from nothing, and a few of them have spawned ideas that helped me out.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:47 PM
quarterscalelegends

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check this out...

http://www.quarterscalelegends.com/b...php?f=2&t=1013
Old 06-11-2010, 02:45 PM
Soloratov

Now that is art!