Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

taking apart the diff

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 12:56 AM
1/5 scale mad man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default taking apart the diff

i have a question im pretty new to the baja 5b and want to re oil my diff but dont even know where to start lol does any one know of any videos of the whole process of taking the car apart and every thing and how often shoul u re oil your diff? thanks
Old 06-25-2010, 01:58 AM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: taking apart the diff

unfortunately u need to take almost the whole rear of baja..unless u get the turtle racing diff case .where u can add oil without doin all these.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:40 AM
da mad maori

start by removing the rear bumper and work ya way to the front until you reach the motor unfortunatly
Old 06-25-2010, 07:39 AM
DarkFire989

HPI's website has the Baja's manual online, you can look at that for differential maintenance
Old 06-25-2010, 11:22 AM
1/5 scale mad man

k i sounds like a big job lol but i can handle it and how often should i do this ?
Old 06-25-2010, 01:04 PM
sparky 25

This video tutorial will help you get the gearbox out,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr7AJqIF4PA

these guys have a heap of vids on youtube on how to maintain your baja,

i often look through their clips before i tackle things on my baja, as they give some great tips along the way,

anything from the easiest way of fitting hostile axle boots to rebuilding the baja diff.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:57 PM
1/5 scale mad man

cool thanks sparky i think i will beable to take it from there after watchin the video thanks again
Old 06-25-2010, 04:24 PM
wan6176

dun be scared juz remove
Old 07-02-2010, 11:51 PM
Freezetron

Just follow the manual and you will be fine. I was scared to to take apart my new 5T without even running it once to check the diff but i'm glad I did, as it barely had any oil in it. Also, its a great learning experience to take apart your Baja while its brand new and clean so you can be more prepared for broken parts and upgrades down the road
Old 07-08-2010, 12:23 PM
mail4ajo

I just took off a friends 5T diff and filled oil. Nonsense to get a 1000$ car and find no oil in the diffs. When will HPI learn? I would prefer they dont assemble the diff at all. Since I have the SS, I know that the oil is in there for sure. Newbies will drive like that and will be back at the LHS to change parts soon. Maybe thats what HPI wants. Crap
Old 07-08-2010, 01:08 PM
Freezetron

ORIGINAL: mail4ajo

I just took off a friends 5T diff and filled oil. Nonsense to get a 1000$ car and find no oil in the diffs. When will HPI learn? I would prefer they dont assemble the diff at all. Since I have the SS, I know that the oil is in there for sure. Newbies will drive like that and will be back at the LHS to change parts soon. Maybe thats what HPI wants. Crap
Peeps have been complaining about this since the Baja came out, but nothing has changed. I guess your choices are basically:

A: Get a kit and know EXACTLY what your putting in
B: Take apart your RTR to verify everything is in order
C: Run your RTR outa the box and see what happens with your fingers crossed
D: Hate HPI and never buy from them again
Old 07-09-2010, 09:44 AM
hndaman1
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: Freezetron

ORIGINAL: mail4ajo

Peeps have been complaining about this since the Baja came out, but nothing has changed. I guess your choices are basically:

A: Get a kit and know EXACTLY what your putting in
B: Take apart your RTR to verify everything is in order
C: Run your RTR outa the box and see what happens with your fingers crossed
D: Hate HPI and never buy from them again
I agree wtih D, cause the quality is going down hill.....and they customer service is nill, they never reply back to any of the emails I send them[sm=thumbs_down.gif]
Old 07-09-2010, 10:21 AM
Freezetron

ORIGINAL: hndaman1

I agree wtih D, cause the quality is going down hill.....and they customer service is nill, they never reply back to any of the emails I send them[sm=thumbs_down.gif]

Odd, everyone including myself has been getting outstanding service from them, but i've been calling them vs email. Some things are just better done that way. I got a free replacement body for my faulty paint job on my 5T and a whole new steering servo when my stock one broke.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:54 AM
splcrazy

i took mine apart a couple times , its a HUGE job and i never used instructions , dont know how good the new turtle system is though , but basically the whole rear end needs to be removed like wheels, back top tranny plate brake assembly main spur gear assembly the roll cage and screws under the backplate , for an experienced person like me i can have the diff out in under an hour if im in hurry , but expect to take 2 plus hours if you have no idea what your doing .