RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Giant Scale Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/)
-   -   Does anypone own this 1/5 Monster Truck from Hobbyking? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/10859237-does-anypone-own-1-5-monster-truck-hobbyking.html)

iexion 02-18-2012 09:01 AM

RE: Does anypone own this 1/5 Monster Truck from Hobbyking?

1 Attachment(s)
killer idea. The upper arms links on the hobbyking version are made out of steel. I just took the rear diff apart to see why the left side inner drive cup comes out easy and the right side stays put. Thought there might be a screw holding the drive cup inside to the gears but there isn't...[&:] I don't think it should be a problem when driving but I'm stuck wondering why one stays and the other doesn't.

Aside from that I flipped the bottom piece of the belt cover over so the belt doesn't grind on itself but there it still some tension with the drive system (more then I would like to see) but im assuming the belt will loosen up with the first tank or so.

Now the issue was after I had to pull out the clutch assembly the two screws the hold the clutch shoes in place were on WAY to tight and the clutch would of never engaged with the screws like this. It looks like from the factory they had put the screws on so tight they were stripped before i even touched it which then means i had to heat up the whole dam clutch on the stove to get those bolts off.[:@]

Next was taking the drimmle to the set screw.... look at the pic. This was behind the brake and needed to be removed in order to take the brake set up off to get access to the clutch (with the engine still attached to the chassis). NOPE, just couldn't come off easy, just had to get stripped on the first turn[&o]

*sigh* I have yet to plug the cheap fire hazard of a battery charger that came with the truck into the wall yet and i currently have 7,642 parts on the table behind me... should of just bought the dam redcat dunerunner[&o]

sparky 25 02-18-2012 09:15 AM

I haven't had any problems with the screws on my rovan, but the set screw from a hpi Baja brake hub will fit the one your needing,

The belt drive cover was also put together properly with each run of the belt having its own chamber to run inside,

The belts do be very tight and prevent the truck from rolling with out a good bit of resistance,

When I first took my truck out of the box I thought the brake was binding, but after a full strip down and rebuild,
I see nothing other than a tight fitting belt causing some binding,

After half a tank mine freed up quite a bit,

Other than the weak upper metal arm adjusters I really can't complain about the truck,

Even the stock battery holds a good charge,

iexion 02-22-2012 05:30 AM

Is there any trick to installing the 8000rpm clutch spring, I already screwed up one of them[sm=confused.gif]
Im still fiddling with the clutch set up, seems like its binding somewhere and since the manual is 60% useful im testing where to put spacers[:-]

sparky 25 02-22-2012 05:58 AM

The clutch spring is a bit tight to assemble,

I used some heavy pliers to get it Into the second clutch shoe,

The flat washers go behind the clutch and the concave washers go onto the front of the clutch,

Then tighten the bolts until they hit the shoulder at the end of the threads,

Some times slightly enlarging the clutch spring hole on the clutch leaves it easier to fit the 8k spring,

iexion 02-22-2012 03:58 PM

dam double post[:@]

iexion 02-22-2012 04:24 PM

Thats what i thought, needing to drill out the small hole in both clutch shoes so the new spring will fit correctly. I spent a little over two hours this morning working on the clutch and re-fitting the engine to the chassis. Aside from taking the stock clutch spring back off and retrying the hpi spring im about to a point where im not buying any more parts till i put a tank thru it and inspect the engine/clutch.:eek:

iexion 02-25-2012 05:46 PM

After the tare down and rebuild I fired up the truck this afternoon. The truck did seem to get more power as it got a little more broken in but I only put about a half of a tank thru it. The servos stopped turning left and I have no idea why. Atleast if I hit something I would have a clue [sm=confused.gif]

The only and main issue i really have as of right now is the tires. From the box I could tell the must have been sitting for awhile because there is kind of a flat spot and as wobbly as they are im not going to bother with trying to balance those out. So I need to see if there is a way to convert the wheel "squares" into the hex system that the 5b (and every clone out there) uses [sm=72_72.gif]

Edit: One of the Servos is dead[sm=angry_smile.gif]

iexion 03-24-2012 02:12 PM

Ive had to tare this down over 7 times to figure out what was keeping the drive-train from doing its job. Turns out the belt was rubbing the front wall inside of the front diff box. After cutting a chunk out of that and attempting to run it again, the left rear wheel just feel apart, like melting its side wall. NOT EVEN 1 HALF OF A TANK WAS RUN THRU THIS TRUCK. $70+$30 bucks later I installed some 1/5 wheel adapters to fit the HPI 5B (all rear) set of wheels the reat drive shafts feel out of the outside drive cups. I Already had to replace BOTH servos. One want bad so I replaced it with another one and that just so happen to work in the opposite direction as the stock one...

I Have had more problems and issues with this truck then buying ANYTHING used off ebay.
This truck will be on eBay. i dont care how much i get for it

DO
NOT
BUY
THIS
TRUCK

sparky 25 03-25-2012 01:06 AM

You mention that the rear driveshafts fell out,
I previously told you of a fix to this by shortening the upper and lower arm length to prevent this,

mine has not had any of the issues you have had,

I also received the latest 3mm thick clear hummer body from rovan as a free replacement for the cracked pickup body it came with,

mooman007uk 03-26-2012 06:30 AM

how to install a clutch spring in 2 seconds [link]http://s729.photobucket.com/albums/ww294/mooman007uk/general/?action=view&current=MOV00530.mp4[/link]

I'd expect the servos to go south...seems to be par for the course on most rcs these days that come artr or rtr from China...they'd be better off leaving them off, wouldn't lead to much of a price drop though as they cost pennies.

iexion 03-26-2012 01:28 PM

Yes the servo went dead right out of the box. I'll have to post pics of the tire.
As for the rear drive shafts I took your advice and shorten those before starting the truck, apparently not enough [:@]
The only good thing this truck had to offer was the engine. With the 8000rpm clutch spring the engine has great power.

But from the factory the belt was rubbing the front diff box... really?[:'(]

hellya 03-28-2012 03:19 AM

damn clones anyway :)