RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Giant Scale Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/)
-   -   Stupid question about battey packs... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/2715125-stupid-question-about-battey-packs.html)

Automan 03-01-2005 03:50 PM

Stupid question about battey packs...

Connecting two 6volt 2200mah with a normal Y-cable "servo-cable" so they are parallel connected to one output, to get 4400mah would work, right ? i can not see why it shouldn't work [sm=confused.gif]
But would it be best to charge them separate ? they have about 1100mah fast charge each i think. These battpacks are ok, but i want better.

Just thinking of doing this until i get my cells so i can build my own bigger single battery packs for rx, non AA cells ;)

ibstar 03-01-2005 04:46 PM

RE: Stupid question about battey packs...

there AA ????
should be ok short term but watch the voltages of the pack. to much diffrence and one will bleed into the other. not good on normal servo cable

Automan 03-01-2005 04:53 PM

What I'm going to connect is two identical 6volt 2200mah battery packs (parallelmode), with a Y-cable (Y-servocable) to one output of 6volt and 4400mah, should be no problem if the packs are identical.. the same make and model ?

There shouldn't be more current going trough the cables then with one single battery pack, only thing is that it would last much longer, or am i wrong on that ? It sound so simple anyways :D

geniusgene 03-01-2005 05:47 PM

I got a 4500mah pack from http://www.onlybatterypacks.com/. nice high quality stuff.

FGUK 03-01-2005 06:06 PM

ORIGINAL: geniusgene

I got a 4500mah pack from http://www.onlybatterypacks.com/. nice high quality stuff.

They must be "C" size cells then? Think the biggest "Sub C" is 3600Mah?

icecreamslick 03-01-2005 06:21 PM

I thought that with the FG Marders/Beetles etc. we were only to use a 5 cell pack for the receiver or else it would overload the electronics and fry something. [sm=confused.gif]

magicfrost 03-01-2005 06:50 PM

personally i use the 6 volt battery backups for emergency light. comes already fully enclosed. the bonus part is that its a cheaper over all price per amp than single batteries.

ibstar 03-01-2005 06:59 PM

the packs are to be joined positive to positive so it doubles the mah rating and not positive to negative to make 12 volts.
the onlyway you would get the packs spot on would be if they were all matched cells.
you should be ok using them as 2200mah packs just charge before use and take the spare (i take it you've got voltage sensitive failsafe ?)
the one i had to buy whist radio problem solving is a carson pack and thats only 1500mah sub c cels, and that last a run

geniusgene 03-02-2005 04:36 AM

ORIGINAL: FGUK

Yes they are C cells. I just had to grind an 1/8'' of each side of the batteryslot and it it dropped right in. The run time is fantastic and having 1 extra pound positioned foward of center helps keeep the nose down too.

FGUK 03-02-2005 04:41 AM

ORIGINAL: FGUK

Yes they are C cells. I just had to grind an 1/8'' of each side of the batteryslot and it it dropped right in. The run time is fantastic and having 1 extra pound positioned foward of center helps keeep the nose down too.
That's given me an idea.......... lol

Am just off to look on ebay for some C cells right now!

Thanks!.

Automan 03-02-2005 06:43 AM

I will get those i think it's C-cell's, but they are not in stock right now. In the meantime i thought of connecting these two identical battery packs i have to make a longer lasting battery, and connecting them parallel using a Y servo-cable was a simple and functional idea i thought, to work with until i get my bigger cells to make my own battery pack ;)

Those packs i have that i want to connect together parallel is: Dynomax Radio NI-MH A2200-6v, they are probably not the best, but they worked fine so far.

ibstar, my 2200mah pack last's me about 2 tanks in the cold with my old setup of servos... not that good, i want at least 4tanks without recharging those batteries.

I'm using the built in failsafe on my hrs 3pk, is that a good choice, is it reliable or not ? seams to work good though.

Thanks for the info so far !!!

ibstar 03-02-2005 07:33 AM

yeap should be fine
how do you manage to stand out in the cold for 4 tanks
i manage about 15 minutes here before i can't feel my hands and feet :eek:

jimbo1890 03-02-2005 07:39 AM

connecting your two packs up in parallel will work ok but only connect them together when your about to use them.
In a perfect world those two packs would have an identical voltage when fully charged but unless they are a matched pair, when you connect them together the pack with the higher voltage will try to "charge " the one with the lower voltage. if there is not much much difference between the two you wont have a problem but if one pack has a dodgy cell it could get ugly "smoke,melted plastic etc"
I would not do it in my opinion these machines are too expensive risk turning them into a puddle of melted plastic.

why dont you just change packs when you refuel should only take an extra minute

just my two bob's worth

geniusgene 03-02-2005 08:11 AM

you could install a battery isolation switch, it stops the batteries from swapping voltage and you can set it to drain 1 and than flip the switch to drain the other.

Automan 03-02-2005 08:52 AM

Practice ibstar, practice ;) [sm=lol.gif] when I'm in the end of second tank i feel the longing for the fireplace if it's real cold outside [&:] :D But if it's your normal cold winter weather, then it's no big problems... only some big ice on the carburetor idle, and packed snow around the servos ;)

Hope my 3300mah big cell's comes soon, i think they will be sufficient for me, i cant find any bigger here in Sweden.. don't know if there are any not to big cell's with bigger mah [sm=confused.gif]

geniusgene, you got pm :D

pehter aka ibbe 03-02-2005 01:20 PM

Is this big enough for you?

http://www.amondotech.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=568

ibstar 03-02-2005 02:09 PM

or this lol
6 Volt 10 / 12 Ah Battery
Details
Height = 94 mm
Width = 51 mm
Length = 151 mm
Weight = 2090 grams
Price:
£12.00

Automan 03-02-2005 04:24 PM

ibstar, i do think that would be a little bit to much [sm=lol.gif] :D

pehter, they do look very ok to me, maybe i get those or 3300mah here from Sweden.. hmmm, how long does it take before i have those battery's do you think ? with !QUOT!normal!QUOT! shipping, not to expensive, not to cheap... because i want it this year ;)

ibstar 03-02-2005 04:27 PM

you'd have to put it on a trailer. lol.

pehter aka ibbe 03-03-2005 03:24 AM

Standard airmail takes around 7-10 days, sometimes less sometimes more.

JRexA 03-03-2005 06:46 AM

Automan71, try searching http://www.ebay.de for batteries, they have several sellers, and at very low prices.

I have seen 2600mah AA cells as low as 1,20 Euro each.

I bought 6 3300 Mah Sub-C Cells with soldering taps, but don't remember the price, except that it was quite cheap.

I have seen Sub C cells advertised at 4000 Mah capacity, and C cells at 5000 Mah, D Cells at 10000Mah

Automan 03-03-2005 06:57 AM

Thanks everyone !!!

pehter, that time sounds ok to me for that price, but i think it's best to order a little bit more cells over there to take real benefit of those prices :D

JRexA, thanks for the advice, i will look into that and see if i can find any good deals there.

But in the meantime i will just connect together these two battpacks i have and wait for my new nice cell's to arrive so i can start using them instead ;)

geniusgene 03-03-2005 09:25 AM

Automan, I've been looking for that switch and cant find it. I no I saw it, so either im going insane or it's not made anymore.