RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Giant Scale Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/)
-   -   HELP IM NEW homemade 1/6th (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/3206426-help-im-new-homemade-1-6th.html)

Rampede 07-27-2005 05:39 PM

HELP IM NEW homemade 1/6th

well i have been workin on gettin a nmotor with a centrifugal clutch I FOUND ONE TODAY!! it wouldnt run but i cleaned the carb and adjusted the needles. it runs great......BUT i cant figure ot how to mount it it is a eager beaver made by macullough i think thats how u spell it lol. also how can mount a pully to the crankshaft? where can i get a good air filter? is it possible to make your own gas tank. please help Thanks

randyg-rcu 07-27-2005 07:32 PM

RE: HELP IM NEW homemade 1/6th

If it's a mcculloch chainsaw, the easiest way to get sprockets onto them is usually to grind down the back of the sprocket on the back of the clutch bell, put the sprocket for your chain (usually #35) over it, then weld it to the teeth of the old sprocket. (not to the bell itself; don't want to lose its temper). You'll need to use a jackshaft to get the ratio low enough.

Air filters can be stolen off most anything...

Making a gas tank might be a bit ugly, but you can get them very, very cheap. they're only a few bucks on ebay, and if you go to any local small engine repair shop, they'll probably just hand you a used one. If the tank you get has an internal filter, make sure it's clean, and if it doesn't, make sure you use a filter in the fuel line.

If you have a scrapyard that takes small engines, go there and have a look around, they can often be an excellent source of dirt-cheap parts.

--Randy
(who's presently pissed off at his local scrapyard... spent 4 hours stripping some parts, in the boiling hot sun, working with toxic chemical residues, to have the owner come out and say "we've decided not to sell that...")

Rampede 07-27-2005 09:35 PM

dude i would be so frickin mad at the owner. its a weed eater called the eager beaver its got a cyntrifical clutch i just dont know how to mount a pully on it i have a small engine shop but its NEVER open this may be a stupid question but do u know wherw any are in MI?

jimbo1890 07-27-2005 09:53 PM

Check out this thread it may give you a few ideas

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2893529/tm.htm

Rampede 07-28-2005 06:32 AM

im runin a belt drive to where the spurr went

mbba2002 07-28-2005 09:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
That motor does not have a clutch. You need a Mac 32 cc motor or a different brand with a clutch. Hp is somewhere around 1.2 hp but the Mac motors have high rpm. no torque not good for a 1/6 rc car. You need at least 1.5 and gear it low. I have tries all brand of weed eater motors and prefer Echo and Homelite only. For high performance Zenoah or Sikk motors. Chain drive is the easiest to work with .(not 35 pitch chain) Use 25 pitch, smaller chain easier to gear lower in a smaller space

Rampede 07-28-2005 10:08 AM

dude the whole thing without motor is like 1 1/2 pounds
i can easily do a 1to1 ratio no prob and it does have a clutch or elsse the hear wouldnt stop spinnin when ur not revin it
do u got any pics/vids of ur big rcs if u have aol add my my addie is Rampede

Rampede 07-28-2005 10:10 AM

i meant head not hear lol

randyg-rcu 07-28-2005 12:52 PM

The Eager Beaver line had both chainsaws and weedeaters, hence why I guessed you had a chainsaw... I haven't had to work on a mcculloch weadeater, so don't know the easiest way to attach to them.

If they look like other weedeaters I've taken apart, you can probably just weld your pully right onto the output for the shaft... have you taken it apart yet? it almost sounds like you haven't... post a picture of the clutch for better suggestions on mounting to it.

mbbaj2001: 25 chain breaks too easily. so does bicycle chain. #35 is the thinnest I'll use anymore...

--Randy

Rampede 07-28-2005 02:28 PM

thats cool. i dont have a digi cam tho i can send a pic off of ebay hold on a sec its not a pic of the clutch tho

Rampede 07-28-2005 02:32 PM

thats cool. i dont have a digi cam tho i can send a pic off of ebay hold on a sec its not a pic of the clutch tho

Rampede 07-28-2005 02:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
tat is almost exactly what it looks like just its not a macculough but same size and where the pull start is is the same and where the shaft is looks the same sorry but the auction ended yesterday

mbba2002 07-28-2005 07:38 PM

ORIGINAL: randyg-rcu

mbbaj2001: 25 chain breaks too easily. so does bicycle chain. #35 is the thinnest I'll use anymore...

--Randy
Randyg: That's what a true 1/4 scale car uses. I have use 25 pitch chain for 10 years on a pulling truck that can pull 1000 lbs and it dose'nt break. You can achieve a lower gear ratio in a smaller space with 25 pitch chain than 35 pitch chain. You should look at other cars that use 25 pitch chain like (pacesetter).

Rampede:Their are no 1/6 scale cars that weight 1.5 lbs. Impossible Even if you custom build one. 1/6 scale cars weight 18-25 lbs. The motor you have is 7 lbs. so the 1:1 ratio is out with the Hp of the motoryou have.

Rampede 07-28-2005 09:25 PM

hate to brake it to u bro but it is under to pounds....the chassis is anyway and its custom i said chassis not including elctronics IT WAS A FRICKIN RUSTLER!!

mbba2002 07-29-2005 09:17 AM

ORIGINAL: Rampede

hate to brake it to u bro but it is under to pounds....the chassis is anyway and its custom i said chassis not including elctronics IT WAS A FRICKIN RUSTLER!!
I knew that !!! Your custom 1/6 scale (NOT) is A 1/10 scale Rustler with a weed eater motor jammed into it. Get back to me when you want to build a true large scale Rc.

Rampede 07-29-2005 10:18 AM

well sorry a lil short on cash here bro im only 14! and my parents dont buy me crap.....this motor doesnt have enough power to make a true 1/6 scale and this is all i have with a centrifugal clutch ok??? dont diss me cus i dont have the money or the tools to build one ive already tried i had it all planned out then i couldnt find aluminum ANYWHERE that was after i mare the roll cage and the frame i needed a chassis plate but that was with a snow blower engine. btw ur trucks frickin look awesome got any vids? i really want to know how to make one and wht engine i would totally do that wanna help me out man??

Rampede 07-29-2005 10:21 AM

and its a custom chassis it adds about ...ill go get it....it adds about 7 inches to the chassis plus i widend the wheelbase on it and im gettin mashers for iti want ur trucks:D

Dr Honda 07-29-2005 10:24 AM

My Maxx gasser weighs 12 Lbs (RTR) and my Mega Gasser weighs in around 13.5 Lbs.
To be any real help... we will need pictures of the ACTUAL engine and chassis you are going to use. (proper punctuation and grammar will help too[sm=thumbup.gif])

Rampede 07-30-2005 12:04 AM

i know im gonna get flamed from hell for this but i made a new chassis......again......its quarter inch plexi glass and its awesome the first plexiglass i made had a little 2 inch crack in it but u couldnt feel it on either side of the glass so i didnt think nuthin of it .....i was wrong as soon as i go to mount the motor i get it all set up and test the shocks CRACK! it broke ... so i made a new one i found out u need a fiberglass blade to cut it properly and u have to drill a hole every 1 inch lol it sucked but it looks so cool im makin a arms outta it too ill post picks as soon as i can

Edited for profanity.

Dr Honda 07-30-2005 05:42 AM

You don't need a fiberglass blade to cut Plexi. You can score it (deep scratch) and it will crack along that line. Or you can use a regular saw blade in a jig-saw, or "Sawz-all" (demolition saw) But because Plexi will crack down a deep scratch... it won't be any good for a chassis. You need to think about using aluminum plate, or making something out of steel. (although that will be heavy)

deeppaul 07-30-2005 08:49 AM

A good thing about being young is that you can learn from the older people who have the knowledge from trial and error and years of experience under their belt. I would love to see the Plexi car/truck on it first run. If it is cracking while cutting I am sure it would be awesome to see the first run. I imagine it would be like taking an old glass five gallon water jug filling it with screws and bolts and throwing it down the street. I do admire your ambition. I look back at some of the things I tried when I was younger and had no money, and think what was I thinking! I still don’t have any money and still not sure what I am thinking so maybe you never grow out of it. :)

Rampede 07-30-2005 03:07 PM

lol thats funny yeah i know it is stupid but i didnt have any money this is what i bought but i bought quatter inch square tubing to pust around the edges do u think it will work?

Dr Honda 07-31-2005 06:34 AM

The square stock will help... but plexi also has one more bad habit. If a constant pressure is placed on it... it will "Craze". (crack slowly from the point of pressure)

If you take a scrap piece of plexi... drill a hole into it... then screw a slightly larger sheet metal screw into to hole... with in a day or two, it will have cracks going out in all direction from the screw. (so don't thread any screws into it) But... just with the weight of the engine being on the chassis... it will eventually crack. (even if it’s just sitting on a shelf)

If you want to use a sheet of plastic from the hardware store... you should think about using Lexan. it won't crack like plexi. BUT... 1/4" thick Lexan will be almost as expensive as buying a piece of 1/8" aluminum plate.

Good luck

Rampede 08-01-2005 12:57 PM

how much is alunim plate Honda? i can lay down about 50 for the chassis

mbba2002 08-01-2005 07:43 PM

YOU should use 1/4" Aluminum. But before you decide to go find the chassis plate take some card board and make a template to see how much you need. Make enough room to mount everything. Then go to a recycling place that sells scrap metal and look or ask someone if they have Aluminum plate in the size you need(real cheap at the going rate of recycle rates). You should be able to build your hole truck for your budget price. More money would help to get better parts.

I get all my Aluminum for free except for the plate sizes for chassis. I have 200-300 pounds of usable Aluminum just waiting to be used.