RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Giant Scale Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/)
-   -   Firehammer diff leaking (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/6095015-firehammer-diff-leaking.html)

NitroBurn1 07-10-2007 06:36 PM

Firehammer diff leaking

From the first day that I ran my buggy, the diff has leaked grease. I sealed it with silicone, and it helped for awhile, but now today it is leaking again. Anyone else have this problem, and how do I fix it?

Slammed 07-10-2007 06:46 PM

RE: Firehammer diff leaking

to be honest I did not know there was grease in the rear diff so maybe thats why mine blew up [:@][:@][:@]

MrMikeG 07-10-2007 06:48 PM

Petroleum products eat through Silicone, as you found out. Seal it with RTV sealant or use silicone grease.

NitroBurn1 07-10-2007 11:12 PM

Its not leaking out the silicone sealed side yet, its coming out the side with the gear. The leak is not near as bad as it was the first day I ran it, but it still does it a little. Befor I sealed the diff there was grease all over the chassis, and engine. I am wondering if I just have a bad diff, or if its another Firehammer problem? If anyone else has had this problem, please let me know how you fixed it.

motors4fun 07-11-2007 12:33 AM

Do you have the little screw on the side of it that holds the cover snugly up against the gear side? i used the red disc brake grease on my diff after i had the output shaft welded to the spider gear and have had no problems at all with leaks.

kengentry5000 07-11-2007 08:45 AM

I'm suprised you have grease seeping out. I wonder if you have a problem with water getting inside causing the grease to seep out. I use Lucas 'Red-n-Tacky' grease on my diff gears and couldn't imagine as thick as that stuff is having it seep out. Have you disassembled the diff to see if there is water or moisture inside causing the grease to seep out?

Hey motors4fun, did you weld the outdrive cup to one of the bevel gears inside the diff? Was one of these stripped? Hadn't heard of someone having to do this before.

motors4fun 07-11-2007 09:30 AM

I welded the outdrive to the drive gear. It was stripped and I could not find any more outdrives so i was stuck for a while. This setup is holding up perfectly and now if it goes I have a complete set up, diffmounts and all. The problem is though, when you wled it in like that, there is no way to get the bearings off that side.

NitroBurn1 07-11-2007 04:25 PM

Maybe I need thicker grease? The grease that came in it slung all over, so i packed the diff with the same grease I use on the flex cable in my boat. How much grease do you guys use, because i might have used to much?

motors4fun 07-11-2007 05:20 PM

I used a pretty good amount of wheel bearing grease (high temp disc brake stuff). no problems here.