RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Giant Scale Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/)
-   -   1/4 scale rock crawler!!!!!!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/6096234-1-4-scale-rock-crawler.html)

bigmodman 07-10-2007 10:50 PM

1/4 scale rock crawler!!!!!!!

1 Attachment(s)
here are some pics of my 1/4 scale rock crawler.

length=50inches
width=16 inches
height=16 3/4
weight/unfinished chassis=10lbs.

SAMURAIADAM17 07-11-2007 12:08 AM

RE: 1/4 scale rock crawler!!!!!!!

I love it , kick ass 1/4 scale too.

bigmodman 07-11-2007 12:22 AM

thanks man.i thought so too.i still need to put some bracing on it and the motor and some other stuff,but it is very durable,its only tacked up and i can alread stand on it,i weigh 287lbs and it can hold me with no problem.

SAMURAIADAM17 07-11-2007 01:44 AM

Do you think you may have over did it? Behold, the worlds strongest RC rock crawler.

motors4fun 07-11-2007 09:32 AM

Will you be using some sort of solid axles or independant front and rear? Love the work, great job!!

bitici 07-11-2007 09:41 AM

Rock on man, thats sweet, me and a friend of mine thought of doing a huge rc crawler that we could sit in while driving but got stumped on the stearing servo, what you useing to turn that giant thing? Mini hydrolics maybe?

bigmodman 07-11-2007 12:58 PM

adam,yes i may have over did it alot!lol but i would like it strong.

motors,thanks and yes i will be using 2 solid axels under it from a 50cc shaft driven atv.

bitici,i am not sure of what i willl be using but i have found some i would like to use from [link]http://www.vantec.com/ssps050.htm[/link]

but idk if it will hold so i might have to build a hydraulic setup to use but idk im not there yet i still have to finish weld it up after i finish puttin in all the bracin and other stuff.then the motor which in fact is a 49cc mini chopper motor with electric start and lights.:)

motors4fun 07-11-2007 05:24 PM

Hey can you post a picture with some sort of reference as to how big this thing is? Maybe a picture with a can of soda?
What kind of axles do atv's use? are they solid pieces with a gear in the middle?

bigmodman 07-11-2007 08:47 PM

sure i can i will post it asap but umm the atv axels are just like a regular 9in ford rear.but they are shaft driven the have an internal shaft that goes down a tube and then to the axel.

motors4fun 07-11-2007 09:05 PM

That sounds great. What is the length of these axles and does it have some sort of brake system inplace already??

bigmodman 07-11-2007 09:11 PM

i havent found the axels yet im still lookin but they are around 12inches-16inches.and i will have to rig up a 4 disk setup in place of the old drums.:D

garygit 07-11-2007 09:26 PM

Love the Skoal Classic in the background!!!! I think your a redneck when you use five cans of skoal Classic to prop up the engine in your mini rockcrawler. For many years I have tried to figure out a use for my old cans. You found the best use so far. Great project good luck.

bigmodman 07-11-2007 09:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
heres the comparision and the motor in the frame oh and i had to lift the motor up so i had some clearence for my 4 link im fixin to build after i get my chassis finished up.:D:D:)and heres a pic of my 4-link i have drawn up,i have to give some credit to tig for the finding of the drawing for me to scale down.:)

bigmodman 07-11-2007 09:33 PM

hahahaha lmao yeah those are my dads.........................im 15 i cant dip yet!lol but yeah they work great and they all have screws in them.could someone tell me what the cog,poc,ic are????i would greatly appreciate it!

motors4fun 07-11-2007 11:35 PM

That thing is going to be huge!! What kind of motor is that?? What kind of servos are you planning to run? I can't wait to get my welder, I love this sort of stuff.

bigmodman 07-11-2007 11:42 PM

its a 49cc chopper engine(2 stroke)hehe it is gunna be huge and powerful what kind of welder are ya gettin i have a miller matic.im stuck on the servos.:eek:the steering is prolly gunna be a high torque servo with a drag link setup or i am going to buy a small hydraulic ram and make a hydraulic setup.but i cant find a small ram bout 7-10 inches in length.[&o]and i need help with that.then i would have to figure out how to make that.yeah me too its kinda my antidrug!

does anyone know where i can get a 7-10 inch hydraulic ram at??????????

motors4fun 07-12-2007 12:16 AM

I wonder how far a clutch slave cylinder travels? You might be able to use that if you can find a way to increase the travel lenght. Maybe a pivotbar of some sort.

I am not sure what welder i am getting yet. i was told i want something that has reversible polarity and a dial for wire feed speed and not a high/low set up.

bigmodman 07-12-2007 12:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
i think i will stick with the drag link setup.and you would need a welder like that.heres a pic of the drag link i designed for this rig!its a high steer setup.but i think i will do the hydraulic setup on the next one:D

motors4fun 07-12-2007 12:33 AM

I guess you will have to make it 4 wheel steering aswell!!!!! Seeing what you have done has only made me want to start right away!!!

bigmodman 07-12-2007 12:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
yeah maybe.but idk just yet,im only 15 so i have to make it as i go,which means im tight on money.:eek:but i prolly will do some 4ws and you should go build a biggin!lol what size tube do you want to use????1/2 inch conduit works perfect as what this beast is.:Di will even give you some designs!:)these are all the ones i have designed!

warren528 07-12-2007 11:43 PM

bigmodman,
This 1/4 scale will be one large clean machine.

Warren528[:@]

bigmodman 07-13-2007 12:20 AM

thanks man i like it and it was super cheap to build so far!:D

bigmodman 07-15-2007 05:08 PM

alright i have welded up a bit more on it,i will post up more pics after my dad gets home with it.;)

bigmodman 01-07-2008 12:18 AM

latest update, i have finished up the welding, and it is plenty strong! i will add no more tubing on this beast. next is to find some axels.:eek:

Q.S. 01-07-2008 01:06 AM

Bigmodman,, looking good,,, Hey buddy I dont want to poke at your build,, But it appears that you dident fish mouth any of your points,, you really need to start over and fish mouth all the chassis points, Just because your welds will stress and crack over time, Perhaps I'm wrong, but it looks like all your points are just butt joints & not fish mouthed.:)