RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Giant Scale Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/)
-   -   Need some help/advice removing E-Clipss!? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/6128858-need-some-help-advice-removing-e-clipss.html)

phatjoe 07-18-2007 08:49 PM

Need some help/advice removing E-Clipss!?

Hello:

I need to replace my front steering knuckle. I would like to re-use the existing front axle stub, ball bearings, and front drive block. I'm having the hardest time removing the 5mm E-Clip that holds the axle stub in place. [&o]

There has gotta be away to remove these friggin' clips. [>:]

Any suggestions...

Thx

p.s. apologies for the beginner question...

wyd 07-18-2007 09:14 PM

RE: Need some help/advice removing E-Clipss!?

I normally use a flat bladed screwdriver. Normally the e clip has some space between the clip and the in your case the axle. Put the flat blade screwdriver in that small opening and then I normally just twist the screwdriver some and it pops or flies off.:D

bigmodman 07-18-2007 09:34 PM

post a pic of them and i might be able to help you...cuz i could pin point out how you could take it out.... do they have holes on the out side edge????for snap ring pliers

speedygonzales 07-18-2007 09:48 PM

i use a flat head screw driver also, put it in one of the two openings then place my thumb against the clip and my other four fingers on the driver then pull off. stops the clip from flying across the room ;)

csp1971 07-18-2007 11:21 PM

When I had to replace mine, I put mine in a vice (not horribly tight) and used a very small flathead screwdriver as others mentioned above. To keep the e-clip from flying off, just put a rag over it while you push the e-clip from around the stub.

kengentry5000 07-19-2007 02:50 PM

Elcon makes some cool e-clips with tabs that stick up to grab onto. You could grip the tab with needle-nosed pliers and pull it off. Probably put them back on the same way.

I get frustrated putting the clips back on in certain places because you can't hardly get pliers in there. The rear upper arms come to mind...

Bratch96 07-19-2007 04:53 PM

I like to flick them off and then go find across the garage.

cyclops1970 07-19-2007 05:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Bratch96

I like to flick them off and then go find across the garage.
hehe

T I G 07-19-2007 05:07 PM

small screw driver works wonders :D

kengentry5000 07-20-2007 02:57 PM

I buy them in boxes of 100. That way when I flickem across the garage or into the grass I just grab another one from the box. When I sweep the garage a few weeks later I dig out the e-clips from the dirt pile. :)

PeterR 07-25-2007 08:45 PM

smear a bit fo vaseline around the e clip keeps em stuck to plastic. Pete

sb racing 07-26-2007 08:26 AM

when i remove the front axles, I just loosen the 2x grub screws in the wheel square. and pull the axle through, As the e clips on the axles can be a pain to get out and they normaly bend or you end up with a screw driver stuck in your finger:D. The screwdriver works on the rest of the e clips on the car though.

The Elcon axles don't have e clips, They are bolted in instead which is much better.

Simon

rudiix 07-26-2007 11:05 PM

Yep they don't call them Jesus clips for nothing

screamin chicken 07-27-2007 06:40 AM

I use a small magnetic flat head screw driver that way when it pops off it sticks to the screw driver and it's alot easier to install with a magnetic one also....

NitroVette 07-29-2007 03:58 AM

I use this:

http://www.etool.ca/eTool/RENDER/1/26/185/4560.html