RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Giant Scale Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/)
-   -   large scale formula 1 plans? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/6145746-large-scale-formula-1-plans.html)

Skydive2144 07-23-2007 11:39 AM

large scale formula 1 plans?

i have been very interested in building a large scale rc car for some time. i would love to have a large scale formula 1 car. i really dont want to get a kit or a rtr tho. does anyone know where you get get plans to build a large scale car? preferably a formula 1 but any other cars as well? thanks

vtl1180ny 07-23-2007 12:11 PM

RE: large scale formula 1 plans?

ORIGINAL: Skydive2144

i have been very interested in building a large scale rc car for some time. i would love to have a large scale formula 1 car. i really dont want to get a kit or a rtr tho. does anyone know where you get get plans to build a large scale car? preferably a formula 1 but any other cars as well? thanks

Do you own a Milling Machine and Lathe??? Preferably CNC???

Skydive2144 07-23-2007 12:47 PM

no but i have acess to ones.

Q.S. 07-23-2007 01:18 PM

i think i have a print for a 1/4 scale one, and if i can't find it i can drawup a blueprint for you when i have the time i am trying to get my new web site up and running & my bridge mill. if you have the time check it out it's at www.quarterscaleprostreetberetta.com i will look when i have the time i am sure i do if i can find it i have alot of 1/4 scale stuff i have got over the years..stoneyberk

Skydive2144 07-23-2007 01:32 PM

thats some very impressive stuff on your site. let me know if you can find the plans for the F1 car. what would you want for the blueprints of it?

Q.S. 07-23-2007 03:49 PM

when i find the prints i will post them on my site in the catalog section. they will be in adobe pdf. just click & save..free free free

Skydive2144 07-23-2007 07:21 PM

what would you say the aproximate cost and time to build one of these cars would be?

Q.S. 07-23-2007 08:10 PM

do you mean for me to build one or you? im thinking the material for the chassis would be around $300. if built out of the same stuff as my Beretta. the body would be the most & hardest to build theres alot of body lines/contures on them cars. i think it would take at least 2 months to build & seal/prime the chassis. them kind of chassis are fairly easy to build theres not a lot of chassis support/braces like there is in the my Beretta it has around 100' of tubing in it. thanks stoneyberk

Skydive2144 07-23-2007 10:01 PM

i ment for me to build you one. i would be able to build the whole chasis myself. i wouldnt really want to do the body myself. is there any way i can get one made somewhere? how much would that cost?

vtl1180ny 07-23-2007 10:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Skydive2144

i ment for me to build you one. i would be able to build the whole chasis myself. i wouldnt really want to do the body myself. is there any way i can get one made somewhere? how much would that cost?

You can get a 5th scale F1 body and build your car to fit under it... Having a body custom made will cost you THOUSANDS of dollars... If it's lexan, abs, fiberglass or carbon fiber you need a mold... You're talking hundreds of hours... If it's metal you need someone who can work metal and same this with the money...

Cost is hard to figure without a blueprint and a materials list... How much can you make out of each piece of material, how many off the shelf parts do you need... Etc... It's going to easily run you $2000 plus....

There's more than just putting a car together... I'd pick up a few books on race car chassis design and do a lot of reading...

Not to put down your project but with the questions you keep asking you'd be better off buying a 5th scale F1....

Skydive2144 07-23-2007 11:32 PM

well i have seen 1/4 scale ones out there. rahter cheap as well, but i really want to build one. why not jsut take a 1/4 scale body from one of those, and not nesasarily a 1/5 scale?