RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Giant Scale Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/)
-   -   fh buggy body (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/6158044-fh-buggy-body.html)

jes520 07-26-2007 05:29 AM

fh buggy body

ok after many barrel rolls body is in many pieces.
any ideas for a body.
also am using 90wt. gear oil in the shocks, great improvement from the stock shock oil/gel.
thanks,
jim

hndaman1 07-26-2007 10:54 AM

RE: fh buggy body

You can buy a new one from tower for only 74.00 which is not a bad price considering how much FG bodies go for......On the FH we had we made a little Braket that went above the roll cage just under the shell so if you had a roll over it would help it out from cracking...If you want pics LMK....

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHTX2&P=Z

kengentry5000 07-26-2007 11:05 AM

I repaired by FH body shell several times before I chopped the roof off and Baja'd it.

You can use the fiberglass mesh tape used for drywall installation and a 'Goo' type adhesive like 'Shoe Goo' or 'Goop'.

Clean off the body thoroughly. Push sides of body crack towards each other and put the mesh tape over crack on inside of body. Spread a good amount of goo adhesive into the tape over the crack. Let it dry overnight.

The big air gap between the top of the roll cage and the roof of the body shell gets compressed during rollovers. This flexes the pillars that support the roof of the body shell. I found if I took some foam and stacked it on top of the rollcage in this void it prevents this compression happening.

jes520 07-26-2007 11:48 AM

any pics of your chopped body?
thanks
jim

TheFgMan01 07-26-2007 08:41 PM

ABS plastic will crumble up on you... i dont know if you'll be able to fine one in lexan for a FH, if you can get it Lexan is better to me. my marder shell crumble within the 1st run so i may look into a lexan shell as well

jes520 07-27-2007 06:50 AM

yes, hndaman1 pics would help.
thanks
jim

teamchrome 07-27-2007 11:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Like this...

jes520 07-27-2007 12:29 PM

excellent i think i have enough of the body left to try that
thanks,
jim

wyd 07-27-2007 04:37 PM

Only thing I can say is if you are going to do that put some type of cover over the top of the roll cage. Reason why is I was running without my lid on so my cage was open like that picture and I hit a big rut and it kicked my car onto it roof and since it was open it ripped my rubber boot on the sparkplug. Lucky it was an easy fix but if the top was covered nothing would of happened.

Nathan9492 07-27-2007 08:05 PM

ORIGINAL: hndaman1

You can buy a new one from tower for only 74.00 which is not a bad price considering how much FG bodies go for......On the FH we had we made a little Braket that went above the roll cage just under the shell so if you had a roll over it would help it out from cracking...If you want pics LMK....

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHTX2&P=Z
AM i able to paint that Boddy?, With like Tamiya paint?

Cheers :D

Nathan

wyd 07-27-2007 09:26 PM

More than likely the Tamiya paint will flake off that type of body.

teamchrome 07-27-2007 10:20 PM

The body in my pics was painted with rattle can spray paint from the hardware store... Never had a problem.

Nathan9492 07-27-2007 11:25 PM

ORIGINAL: teamchrome

The body in my pics was painted with rattle can spray paint from the hardware store... Never had a problem.
OK, thanx
And is that the same White body in that Link?.

TY
nathan

teamchrome 07-28-2007 12:39 AM

Stock body that came with it.

Nathan9492 07-28-2007 04:00 AM

ORIGINAL: teamchrome

Stock body that came with it.
Cheers mate
Legend!:D

Nathan

kengentry5000 07-28-2007 12:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
teamchrome inspired me to 'Baja' my trashed stock Firehammer body shell. I also painted it with spray paint. I used a paint designed for plastics and has a pebbled-like finish. My wife uses this type of spray paint for plastic flower/plant pots. With the pebbled finish I hoped it might be more durable.

I haven't had any problems with paint chipping off.

You probably noticed the Smartech wing...I have a pretty 'diverse' Firehammer. It has Smartech parts, XTM parts, FG parts and a few Duratrax parts :D

Oh and teamchrome's old radio ;)

hndaman1 07-28-2007 01:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the pic you wanted it is just a simple little bracket that I made.. on top of the bracket there is some foam...And on the inside of the body I also put some truck cap foam and so far it is working...

kengentry5000 07-28-2007 02:28 PM

Hndaman1's solution is probably a lot better for airflow cooling under the body shell than my solution. I put in foam blocks about 4 inches by 4 inches. It took several blocks and compressing the body shell on top of it to keep the roof from being compressed. This much foam and pressing down on it would have the foam all over the top of the engine blocking cool air from flowing over the top of the engine.

It didn't seem to make much of a difference in cooling - I didn't have any known problems from it.

teamchrome 07-28-2007 04:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I did this to mine in hopes of reducing flex in the roll cage. It works.
I have the Baja now but with all I did to the old Hammer, It was near bullet b proof.
Kinda miss it..
But LOVE the Baja........

kengentry5000 07-29-2007 10:28 AM

Hey teamchrome, I assume you mean that crossbar over the radio tray helped to reduce the flex in the rollcage. How did you spot that flexing? What kind of problems arise with flex in the rollcage?

Always looking for tricks to keep my Firehammer going.

wyd 07-29-2007 10:41 AM

teamchrome what fual tank cover is that on your fuel tank? I assume that is a stock Firehammer fuel tank.

Thanks
Brian

teamchrome 07-29-2007 12:23 PM

Its from TGN (Team Gonads)
Its made of dive suit type material.
Check the TGN site.

teamchrome 07-29-2007 12:28 PM

ORIGINAL: kengentry5000

Hey teamchrome, I assume you mean that crossbar over the radio tray helped to reduce the flex in the rollcage. How did you spot that flexing? What kind of problems arise with flex in the rollcage?

Always looking for tricks to keep my Firehammer going.
I noticed it after many a bash session and while working on the buggy it looked soft.
I also thought it would end my only problem left to solve on the buggy for me... The transmission brace would loosen up and cause the gears in the rear to wear..
All the other problems were solved and it was a near bullit proof setup.
The 8484 diff REALLY solved alot!!

jes520 07-30-2007 04:16 AM

just check out all the pics it is definately the way to go.
when i get back to Pa. will start cutting,currently away on business.
im in south missouri the middle of nowhere!!!
thanks,
jim