RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Giant Scale Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/)
-   -   Lets hear some cleaning tips. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/6158732-lets-hear-some-cleaning-tips.html)

PBJT 07-26-2007 09:56 AM

Lets hear some cleaning tips.

So I was out at this construction site last night having a good old time, loading the 1/5 scale up with huge amounts of what I now know is CLAY, not just mud. So what are some good cleaning tips, what have yous found the works well. I generally just blow the truck off with compressed air and avoid the air filter. But after my trip out last night I was thinking of just dropping the whole thing into the dish washer ;)

So how do you clean up your truck after use?? Prolly some interesting ideas and maybe a few old tooth brushes too.

PBJT

wyd 07-26-2007 10:27 AM

RE: Lets hear some cleaning tips.

I also use an air compressor first to blow off most of the dust, grass and dirt. After that I spray the car with WD 40 and use a paint brush to go over everything. After that I use the air compressor again on the car and wipe down with a rag. At this point the car looks pretty close to new again. Any spots I miss I go over with WD 40 on the paint brush and wipe clean. When done it looks like new.

I do this everytime I'm done running the car. If it is mud I would spray the car with Spray Nine then spay off with garden hose, I would over up the air filter. Then I would blow it off and then do the WD 40 trick to finish the job and to keep from rusting.

kengentry5000 07-26-2007 10:59 AM

There are many good cleaning threads in the forum archives. Here's the short version of the 'Best of...'

1) Empty gas tank of fuel.
2) Put a plastic bag over the air filter assembly and use a zip tie to keep water out.
3) Remove ALL electronics - set them aside in a dry place
- Unscrew the steering tie rods off the front uprights/knuckle arms
- Remove screws from underside of chasis that hold the radio tray and screws for triangular brace that anchors the radio tray to the servo saver post
- Remove throttle servo arm
- At this point you should be able to pull off the electronics tray
4) Blow off loose dirt with an air compressor or leaf blower
5) Spray a liberal amount of a degreaser cleaner like Simple Green or 'Purple' cleaner on the entire car, wheels and tires.
6) Use a small brush (old toothbrush works well) and work the cleaner into the surfaces thoroughly.
7) Let cleaner soak on car for about 10 minutes
8) Using a regular sprayer (not a pressure washer) on a garden hose, spray off all dirt and cleaner off the car.
9) Use air compressor or leaf blower and blow off all excess water.

You might develop minor surface rust where water is not blown off of some metal surfaces but its easy to get that off.

Depending on how meticulous I feel that day this process takes 45 minutes to 2 hours.

screamin chicken 07-26-2007 12:11 PM

I use compressed air and then a dry rag, after that I use Denature alcohol and more compressed air and it's all clean.....

PBJT 07-26-2007 02:04 PM

Well I think I am done with MUD for awhile. But your tips got it clean again.

PBJT

kengentry5000 07-26-2007 03:30 PM

There is a lot of clay in Greensboro, North Carolina also. It can cake on pretty good sometimes. I clean my car about every 3 - 4 hours of runtime so I can cut down on the number of intense cleaning sessions. It can be fun and helpful to clean it thoroughly, looking for lost/loose screws and nuts but it does take time.