RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Giant Scale Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/)
-   -   King Motors Baja Review with pictures (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/7249314-king-motors-baja-review-pictures.html)

jtnktz 03-19-2008 11:37 AM

King Motors Baja Review with pictures

36 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Since I already had to delete a couple of posts here, may I remind everyone that there is an official thread for the discussion of whether or not clones are immoral/illegal. This is so that people can make their opinions heard without disrupting the thread of someone who is enjoying their clone, with constructive (or otherwise) criticism.

This thread must follow the same rules as all the others on RCU, no flaming, no off topic, blah blah. Here is a link to the clone discussion... http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_70...tm.htm#7069462

Thanks all.

Well first off I would like to say I am impressed with this vehicle. It holds up like a charm. It is EXACTLY like the HPI Baja. I compared it to one and I can find only one difference. The only difference in these vehicles is the receiver box and how it is set up. The HPI receiver box how ever will fit like a charm. As you guys may have heard KM is coming out with a SS version of their buggy and a marder. Yes another marder clone.

Now details on the buggy. First thing I noticed when I took it out of the box is it does in fact have a real 23cc Fuelie engine in it. The baja in fact did start up on the second pull. I put it through break in. I have noticed that the tires do wear out VERY quickly on asphalt. Also another thing I noticed is the tires actually said Dirt Busters on it. To my belief that is the same as on a HPI. Last weekend I was jumping it.

I was still getting used to it so there were some VERY hard landings. From what I saw the parts held up better than I thought. Although I did do a test. I took a HPI baja A-Arm (brand New) and weighed it against a KM A-Arm (Brand New) and the KM actually weighed more. I do not remember what the exact difference was. Anyway I was jumping it about 3-4 feet in the air. Landing on dirt. My first jump I ended up flipping it about 3 times. Nothing broke as I did a complete look around on it. The second time how ever I landed on the right rear wheel. The top A-Arm the big screw that holds the A-Arm together (forgot what it is called) bent about 25 degrees. It did not effect anything on the vehicle. Well I got a lot more jumps in it. Well I was about to leave and decided to take it to the limit. I jumped it about I would say about 15 feet in the air. Landed, nothing broke at all. I was so surprised I was on the ground laughing. I did it once more got a little less of air and landed on the front A-Arm and broke it. THROUGH OUT THE WHOLE RUN NOT ONE SHOCK SHAFT BENT. I will have some updates and I will be sure to take a video on the next time I go out.

Conclusion: This vehicle has the same durability if not better than the HPI. If you have ANY questions on this vehicle or want some more pictures of something feel free to ask!

On the side note: On my way back from this bash I dropped the controller in the mud. Still works.

Attachment 2239277
Attachment 2239278
Attachment 2239279
Attachment 2239280
Attachment 2239281
Attachment 2239282
Attachment 2239283
Attachment 2239284
Attachment 2239285
Attachment 2239286
Attachment 2239287
Attachment 2239288
Attachment 2239289
Attachment 2239290
Attachment 2239291
Attachment 2239292
Attachment 2239293
Attachment 2239294
Attachment 2239295
Attachment 2239296
Attachment 2239297
Attachment 2239298
Attachment 2239299
Attachment 2239300
Attachment 2239301
Attachment 2239302
Attachment 2239303
Attachment 2239304
Attachment 2239305
Attachment 2239306
Attachment 2239307
Attachment 2239308
Attachment 2239309
Attachment 2239310
Attachment 2239311
Attachment 2239312

Foxy 03-19-2008 11:43 AM

RE: King Motors Baja Review with pictures

Encouraging stuff. Thanks for the info. Well done for taking a lot of photos too, although you can remove the blurred one (carb bulb shot).

I see some subtle differences in the shape of the plastic mouldings, but not the mounting locations, so it's all good. Do you own a 5b as well?

jtnktz 03-19-2008 11:48 AM

Encouraging stuff. Thanks for the info. Well done for taking a lot of photos too, although you can remove the blurred one (carb bulb shot).

I see some subtle differences in the shape of the plastic mouldings, but not the mounting locations, so it's all good. Do you own a 5b as well?
I do not but my friend does own a 5B. Will get rid of the blured shot. "I see some subtle differences in the shape of the plastic mouldings" I did not notice this. Maybe that is why the A-Arms had a difference of weight?

Update: Added 5 more pictures at the end.

Dale Gribble 03-19-2008 11:49 AM

Good job screwing HPI out of a sale that robs them from the profit they should have received and then preventing them from reinvesting the profit into R&D to make better products in the future. If enough people get a knock off like you, we can stop HPI in their tracks from making anything at all!

Good for you, you bought a knock off and it seems to be a good car and saved a hundred bucks. Honestly I am not impressed. These knock offs are harmful for our hobby...

Foxy 03-19-2008 11:50 AM

Remind me how much you paid for it, delivered?

jtnktz 03-19-2008 11:52 AM

Remind me how much you paid for it, delivered?
$545.00 Or you could get it for much less by doing regular shipping. That will take 30 days to receive though. Saves you $155.00 though.

Dale Gribble 03-19-2008 11:53 AM

Got it... Good luck.

Foxy 03-19-2008 12:01 PM

Since I already had to delete a couple of posts here, may I remind everyone that there is an official thread for the discussion of whether or not clones are immoral/illegal. This is so that people can make their opinions heard without disrupting the thread of someone who is enjoying their clone, with constructive (or otherwise) criticism.

This thread must follow the same rules as all the others on RCU, no flaming, no off topic, blah blah. Here is a link to the clone discussion... http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_70...tm.htm#7069462

Thanks all.

Slammed 03-19-2008 03:40 PM

do you have a link as to where you bought it ?

Foxy 03-19-2008 04:02 PM

They are available on ebay. Yet another rules reminder... no ebay links. ;)

sheograth 03-19-2008 04:03 PM

Yeah, you have to get them from overseas if you're interested. My understanding is that HPI has taken legal action against all importers.

hndaman1 03-19-2008 04:37 PM

Can you take some more pictures for us?I would like too see the spur/pinion gear without the cover on if possible? I could see buying a clone...[>:]

John H (DK) 03-19-2008 04:42 PM

I have seen a couple of these clones in Denmark too, there are several weak parts on those. The batteri, the servos, the radio, these parts go directly in the trashbin..... the wheels are much more brittle (right word?) , they break real easy, i have seen two wheels where the centerpart broke, never seen that happen on the real Baja.
I know its cheaper than the original, but when you have to replace all those parts, then the RTR seems to be at better deal.

jtnktz 03-19-2008 05:02 PM

ORIGINAL: John H (DK)

I have seen a couple of these clones in Denmark too, there are several weak parts on those. The batteri, the servos, the radio, these parts go directly in the trashbin..... the wheels are much more brittle (right word?) , they break real easy, i have seen two wheels where the centerpart broke, never seen that happen on the real Baja.
I know its cheaper than the original, but when you have to replace all those parts, then the RTR seems to be at better deal.
The servos are not all that bad and the radio either. The wheels I don't know about but I have pretty much distoyed them and I haven't had a problem.

ORIGINAL: hndaman1

Can you take some more pictures for us?I would like too see the spur/pinion gear without the cover on if possible? I could see buying a clone...[>:]

Maybe tomorrow I'm not feeling so good today.

hellya 03-19-2008 05:08 PM

If you need parts for the baja clones........... parts for days:D

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=HPIC0600&P=Z

order here http://www.kingmotor.cn/

Lunar Wolf 03-19-2008 05:27 PM

The rear dirtbusters arn't exacty the same as the official HPI ones, obviously there's no HPI brand on them and the thickened rubber area for an exact fit with the HD rings is not there, these tyres are a copy of the weaker 1st generation dirtbusters (the ones that ripped real easy).

The other issue is the plastics, they weigh more because they are a different type of plastic, since HPI uses high impact nylon then chances are the cloners arn't using high impact nylon. Likey an ABS type, tamiya use alot of plastics that arn't UV resistant and basically overtime become brittle under sunlight (lets hope they've done their homework)

The plastic looks rounded and lacks definition because its mould was based on using an original HPI part, thats how copy moulds end up, sort of like a photo copy - good but lacks the clarity of the original.

I'd be intrested in a photo of the inside of the wheel, to see the webbing, HPI later re-enforced this area with extra webbing to reduce the wheel flex, would be good to see which version of the wheel the cloner copied.

hellya 03-19-2008 05:30 PM

[:-] http://exportatv.en.ecplaza.net/1.asp ancient chinesse secret:D just one of many exporters

you can almost get 2 clones for the price of 1 baja5 from a US dealer

da mad maori 03-19-2008 08:52 PM

thanks for the review.... alot of helpful info there
i was sooo close to buying a clone. i figured everyones thrashing there hpi bajas anyway (broken dogbones bent shocks etc)... why not thrash a cheap one :)

Ryan

jtnktz 03-20-2008 12:12 AM

ORIGINAL: Lunar Wolf

The rear dirtbusters arn't exacty the same as the official HPI ones, obviously there's no HPI brand on them and the thickened rubber area for an exact fit with the HD rings is not there, these tyres are a copy of the weaker 1st generation dirtbusters (the ones that ripped real easy).

The other issue is the plastics, they weigh more because they are a different type of plastic, since HPI uses high impact nylon then chances are the cloners arn't using high impact nylon. Likey an ABS type, tamiya use alot of plastics that arn't UV resistant and basically overtime become brittle under sunlight (lets hope they've done their homework)

The plastic looks rounded and lacks definition because its mould was based on using an original HPI part, thats how copy moulds end up, sort of like a photo copy - good but lacks the clarity of the original.

I'd be intrested in a photo of the inside of the wheel, to see the webbing, HPI later re-enforced this area with extra webbing to reduce the wheel flex, would be good to see which version of the wheel the cloner copied.
Will take pictures of that along with under the gear cover.

splcrazy 03-20-2008 05:50 AM

thats funny sometimes something being coppied turns out to be stronger than the original , and then i wonder who is actualy cutting corners in the costs department , and most times its the original company who invented this buggy in the first place , its just plain typical

Lunar Wolf 03-20-2008 06:08 AM

eh? were'd you get that little idea?

jtnktz 03-20-2008 07:11 AM

ORIGINAL: Lunar Wolf

eh? were'd you get that little idea?
It makes since. I'm not jumping to any conclusions but think about it. If you make cheap parts they are more likely to break. If more parts are breaking that means more replacement parts are being sold. It would not surprise me with what this world is coming to. Someone should maybe look into this.

Lunar Wolf 03-21-2008 04:58 AM

okay, but explain how that means the clone is stronger then the original.

splcrazy 03-21-2008 05:19 AM

i think that the durability is the same as original and to see that the clone is half price i would like to own a clone too , if the chinese were able to make these clones at half the price i wonder how much of a huge overpriced profit hpi is making on theres . theyve done a very decent job of copying the baja and this clone DOESNT look like junk to me

Lunar Wolf 03-21-2008 09:49 AM

Yeah i know, but you said 'stronger' not 'same as' - one means greater then and the other means equal to, i was just wondering how you made the leap. My friend bought a fake Rolex, looked exactly the same as the real deal, it stopped working after a few days. The originator of a design has to recoop all their R&D costs with the product they market, thats just the way it is, its not because they are cutting corners or overcharging. They also operate above board, paying their taxes etc - often illegal clone/copy companies don't bother with this and is how they can keep their costs down.

Also did you notice the warantee support for the Baja? HPI do have to maintain a minimum level of durability/quality otherwise they will lose money through having to warantee every part that is substandard and the loss of future business due to the degredation of their good name, often the cloner dosn't have to worry about that because you won't have much of a comeback to someone in mainland China and there's always be a market for people who want something that 'looks as good as' the real thing.