RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Giant Scale Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/)
-   -   RC4WD 1/5 scale "Killer Krawler" (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/8210807-rc4wd-1-5-scale-%22killer-krawler%22.html)

sheograth 12-03-2008 10:46 PM

RC4WD 1/5 scale "Killer Krawler"

http://rc4wdstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=893

Nice looking

:D

Different axles than the scale Yota ones too, so we still may see a large size scale trail truck chassis from them.

scarletboa 12-03-2008 10:53 PM

RE: RC4WD 1/5 scale "Killer Krawler"

lol, it's brushed electric and powered by 540-sized motors[sm=lol.gif]

sheograth 12-03-2008 10:55 PM

Yeah, it's a crawler.

SAVAGEJIM 12-03-2008 11:02 PM

ORIGINAL: scarletboa

True, but I wonder if it i possible to mount 4x 540 cans on it with some mods? Brushless and geared down, that thing has got to be able to just about crawl over anything.

rc rock 12-04-2008 09:21 AM

two mmm systems will make that possibly the best crawler out there[X(]

craigrobbo 12-04-2008 09:29 AM

I think i have just found my new love...

Craig

Dale Gribble 12-04-2008 10:03 AM

That is pretty dang sweet... Wow. It is a piece of art. Those motors have their work cutout for them though, don't they? Even with gear reduction, that is a lot of weight. There are 1/10 scale motors powering a 1/5 scale truck. I am not certain you could get MM motors in there based on the proximity of the 540 motors to the links in those pictures.

DarkSoul Racing 12-04-2008 01:14 PM

I don't know about that thing, at a glance it looks pretty cool, but the axles look like 1/10 axles with just larger output hubs at the end of the tubes, its using standard 540 size motors to turn tires that probably weigh in at 2 lbs each, and the speed controller appears to be for 540 size motors as well.

I understand that the electronics will be up to the end user, but I just don't think this was thought out very well, just rushed to market.

You would need axles that can take a bigger motor like a NEU or a Feigao (or even the new Losi 1/8 brushless) , a speed controller like the new Mamba Monster, and the appropriate gear reduction to handle one of these motors.

I can pretty much guarantee that this is gonna burn up any speed controller you use short of the big ones, and even then you will be cooking motors off without the proper gear reduction for the bigger motors.

Also, looks like they standard size servos in there, I wonder if it has the room to fit a larger 1/5 scale servo?? Standard size ones in a crawling application with those tiny gears trying to turn those massive tires in a crawling app will get destroyed regardless of what they(servo gears) are made out of.

Kudo's to RC4WD for starting in on a project like this, I think it has a lot of potential, but as I said, I think they should have taken their time and thought this project through a little bit more.

kidd 12-04-2008 05:42 PM

the rampage tires are just to big. 40 series beadlock cheyenne wheels and those 40 series tires with the taller sidewall

looker2756 12-04-2008 06:36 PM

I would have to see one in action to truely judge, but it looks very cool. I agree with DS on " Kudo's to RC4WD for starting in on a project like this, I think it has a lot of potential ".

sheograth 12-04-2008 07:53 PM

but the axles look like 1/10 axles with just larger output hubs at the end of the tubes
That occurred to me too, and it is a bit worrisome. Their 1/5 scale Yota axles are far more promising, and more scale.

Still, I don't think $799 is THAT expensive for a good alloy large scale crawler, so it leaves room for buying some fancy electronics.

Racer4Life 12-24-2008 12:09 PM

ORIGINAL: DarkSoul Racing

I don't know about that thing, at a glance it looks pretty cool, but the axles look like 1/10 axles with just larger output hubs at the end of the tubes, its using standard 540 size motors to turn tires that probably weigh in at 2 lbs each, and the speed controller appears to be for 540 size motors as well.

I understand that the electronics will be up to the end user, but I just don't think this was thought out very well, just rushed to market.

You would need axles that can take a bigger motor like a NEU or a Feigao (or even the new Losi 1/8 brushless) , a speed controller like the new Mamba Monster, and the appropriate gear reduction to handle one of these motors.

I can pretty much guarantee that this is gonna burn up any speed controller you use short of the big ones, and even then you will be cooking motors off without the proper gear reduction for the bigger motors.

Also, looks like they standard size servos in there, I wonder if it has the room to fit a larger 1/5 scale servo?? Standard size ones in a crawling application with those tiny gears trying to turn those massive tires in a crawling app will get destroyed regardless of what they(servo gears) are made out of.

Kudo's to RC4WD for starting in on a project like this, I think it has a lot of potential, but as I said, I think they should have taken their time and thought this project through a little bit more.
I hear what your saying about this. However, I would think since the gear boxes look similar to the Clod, that this would weigh in about the same as a Super truck. They use standard motors and standard size servo's and they don't burn them up. My Super Hustler is a pig and I have never had an issue. With the larger ESC's and more advanced motors, I think this would be fine for crawling!

Old Sloppy 05-22-2009 09:39 PM

RE: RC4WD 1/5 scale

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: scarletboa

True, but I wonder if it i possible to mount 4x 540 cans on it with some mods? Brushless and geared down, that thing has got to be able to just about crawl over anything.

Don't need 4 motors.

you tube vids show it moving normaly with 2 motors, sort of like a ClodBuster.

Harry

traxxaspede 05-23-2009 12:20 AM

sheo, are you going to be buying one of those too?

sheograth 05-23-2009 12:32 AM

I've been toying with the idea since it came out, though I doubt I will at least for the time being. I'm not really as into crawling as I thought I was.

Old Sloppy 05-23-2009 03:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just ordered mine. "version 2"
(Wa-Hoo)
in polished silver with the optional 24 mm hubs/ 7.9" tires/ real beadlock mag wheels.
Then Iordered 2 Futaba s9157 servo's with 425 ounces of torque for front and rear steering.
Tower Hobbies had them in stock.
Still undecieded about a body,
Thinking about a Jeep from HPI.
Possibly bright orange paint.
Any suggestions out there?

Harry

P.S. "Rushed to market"?
I don't think so............................Ha,Ha,Ha.

traxxaspede 05-23-2009 09:25 PM

sweet! definitely post some pics when you get it!

What are you gonna do for motors/ESC?

Foxy 05-25-2009 09:04 AM

Top speed? lol, I jest, I jest. ;) It does lok very cool. I'd be tempted, but if Ibought it, I know I'd just be buying it to 'have' it. I'm not really into crawling.

Old Sloppy 05-25-2009 09:10 PM

I don't know what motors/esc's quite yet.

thinking about Novak brushless GoatCrawlers and a Novak electronic Dig unit.

I have heard their rpm is a little too low for this model...may have to go with the HV 21.5 instead...

I really could use some advise.....

but for starters I have some brushed 12,500 rpm motors and a Super Rooster esc that I have left-over from another truck.

I see how these motors perform and then play with assorted pinions and various cell counts, then decide what motors I feel I need.

Harry

Old Sloppy 06-10-2009 09:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just a little update here.
I have decided on 80t brushed motors and 9 cell Nimh cells to get started, later it will be painless to convert to 3s Lipo power.
allso tires will be 8.26" Rock Crushers.
The rims are really nice with red beadlocks, all CNC machined out of billet Aluminum, WOW.....
I calculated top speed @ 6.2 mph.
will have to actually check it with my GPS on board to see if I am close with my estimate.
I am still waiting on the tires to arrive, so I am still wiring up the motors & painting the Jeep body for now.

Harry

sheograth 06-10-2009 10:21 PM

Nice, cant wait to see more.

Foxy 06-11-2009 02:35 AM

I'm looking forward to video of this. Sheo, when I saw a new post from you, I was half expecting you to be posting pics of a box arriving on your doorstep! ;)

sheograth 06-11-2009 04:17 AM

You might just see that happen lol.

Gotta finish the FGMT 4x4 first though :)

Old Sloppy 03-27-2012 03:20 PM

Just an update, The 21.5 Novak motors and 2s Goat Crawler ESC's work GREAT.
This think will crawl up "open back" stairs.
Most crawlers cannot perform this stunt.( need really tall tires to avoid going under the stair step due to the open back design.[8D]

Harry