RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Giant Scale Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/)
-   -   gear mesh question? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/8244999-gear-mesh-question.html)

polaris472 12-14-2008 03:03 PM

gear mesh question?

On my Firehammer I changed out the Main diff gear and the pinion gear. After the install of both gears
they just don't seem to be meshing right. They mesh a little bit and then don't seem to touch at all.
Is there anyway to get them to mesh up better (I can't see anyway of doing this)? Any help would be greatly appreciated so I can put this baby
back together.

SAVAGEJIM 12-14-2008 05:50 PM

RE: gear mesh question?

A gear mesh trick I use for nitos is the paper trick. I o no reason why it would not be good for 5th scales as well.

Here is how it goes. Cut a piece of notebook paper to be the same width as teh width of teh teeth on you RC. Make sure you have at least about 4in long of a paper strip.
Now, before you tighten the gears, push the gears together with your hand. Then, start turning teh gears and slip the paper in between teh gears. After the paper is down in between the teeth of both gears, then tighten the engine/gear assembly with the paper strip still in between the gear teeth. Et Viola! Gears should be properly meshed.

polaris472 12-14-2008 06:42 PM

ya I know how to do that method for my nitros as well. The problem is that the teeth aren't even really touching.
I'm trying to figure out how to get the gears closer together and I can't see how to do it.

Thanks for the info though savagejim.

SAVAGEJIM 12-14-2008 06:54 PM

Can you post a pic of the gears in question and teh assemblies they are mounted to? Maybe that will give us a clue as how to mover them closer together for a good mesh.

Lars from Norway 12-15-2008 01:08 PM

ORIGINAL: polaris472

On my Firehammer I changed out the Main diff gear and the pinion gear. After the install of both gears
they just don't seem to be meshing right. They mesh a little bit and then don't seem to touch at all.
Is there anyway to get them to mesh up better (I can't see anyway of doing this)? Any help would be greatly appreciated so I can put this baby
back together.
Sounds like you mean that the holes in the gears are not in center?Or like the gears are oval in shape?Maybe you have ordered the wrong gears and got the wrong number of teeth on them

borley1863 12-15-2008 01:47 PM

check your engine mounts haven`t moved slightly.
Guy

polaris472 12-15-2008 02:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I will go and see if the motor moved i never though of that. Here is a pic so you can see what I am talking about.

hellya 12-15-2008 02:43 PM

are you talking about the diff gear and the layshaft pinion.....or the spur gear and clutch bell pinion??

The spur gear/ clutch pinion...there is no way to adjust the mesh

the diff and layshaft mesh are set by loosing the motor mounts and pulling the engine to the rear of the vehicle.

In 1/5 scale..... a piece of paper doubled over twice placed inbetween the layshaft and diff gear sets the mesh.

Loosen , dont remove your motor mount screws....... add the doubled paper.....pull the engine to the rear and tighten the motor mounts then remove the paper.

Use super glue on the stock motor mount screws...... it acts like locktite for plastic;) do the screws 1 at a time

polaris472 12-15-2008 03:42 PM

Thanks hellya I'll check it out.

Lars from Norway 12-15-2008 03:47 PM

ORIGINAL: polaris472

I will go and see if the motor moved i never though of that. Here is a pic so you can see what I am talking about.
Seems to me like either the layshaftgear or the diffgear should have 2 teeth more or less,i guess there is too far to move for the engine/mounts to make them mesh.On FG's (which i am most familiar with) there are two different gearings for the MT and the Marder models due to the wheelsize,14/50 for the MT and 16/48 for the Marder.Correct me if im wrong here,but i think this might be your problem.Or solution!

slawhammer 12-15-2008 04:28 PM

Now as I read your first post this is on a firehammer...The Diff gear should be 48 tooth gear,,The transfer gear on the layshaft
should be 16 tooth gear..Be sure to use blue lock tite on those grub screws..Set you gear mesh Like Hellya suggested to do...
Best to leave till sit for 24 hours ..to lrt the lock tite cure....Best to you with your firehammer...AKASlawhammer

mooman007uk 12-15-2008 04:31 PM

here's the fg gear chart so you can see what works with what [link]http://www.rc-car-online.de/katalog/pages/035.htm[/link], should apply to the FH too.
as hellya says just slide the motor back to mesh them. I found the alloy small engine mount can snag on the suspension arm rose joint...i just filed the mount a little... and if the top brace stops it moving back enough you can file the single screw hole back a little...worked for me

polaris472 12-15-2008 05:01 PM

Thanks for all the info guys that helps out a lot. I will get her back together in no time now.

Thanks

Foxy 12-15-2008 05:03 PM

After reading your inital post, I was about to say what slaw is suggesting. Are you sure you have a matching gearset? You can't set mesh like a nitro on these things. The paper trick is only useful on 1/5ths which have worn engine mounts and bolts, and have a little movement in the gears. A well maintained or relatively new car, you should not be able to affect the mesh at all, as the holes are fixed. This is why you have to match gears.

Mooman, the FH gears are actually not compatible with the FG chart iirc, but I may be wrong. I could swear the FH uses 18/48, as opposed to FGs 16/48.
Hellya, you know what the deal is on this one?

slawhammer 12-15-2008 05:31 PM

Foxy: You are correct Fg gears will not work on the Friehammer......The transfer gear on the lay shaft is correct 16 tooth..for firehammer
I suspect that the engine moved.....from running the firehammer..as the rear end has to much flex as well....I did a mod for flex problem
I went thru 3 sets of gears..both transfer and the diff gears..also 2 lay shafts....Before I done the chassie modification....
And use what hellya suggested to set the gear mesh......Best to you on your firehammer....AKASlawhammer

polaris472 12-15-2008 06:19 PM

Thanks again for all the help guys.

hellya 12-15-2008 07:28 PM

the FG 16t clutch bell pinion will work on the FH layshaft:D it uses a 16T

hellya 12-15-2008 10:05 PM

....double delete

slawhammer 12-16-2008 08:48 AM

Hellya: I forgot about the Fg Pinion gear being 16 tooth,,,,To be used on the layshaft....
I know pinion and the spur gears are different... Between FG & Firehammer,,,Should stay with the firehammer gears....
I think if I remember Innovative Hobbys has a metal gear set for the firehammer..Both Pinion & Spur..
Or you can get just the 19 tooth steel pinion gear and leave the plastic spur gear...........
AKASlawhammer

hellya 12-16-2008 04:27 PM

ORIGINAL: slawhammer

Hellya: I forgot about the Fg Pinion gear being 16 tooth,,,,To be used on the layshaft....
I know pinion and the spur gears are different... Between FG & Firehammer,,,Should stay with the firehammer gears....
I think if I remember Innovative Hobbys has a metal gear set for the firehammer..Both Pinion & Spur..
Or you can get just the 19 tooth steel pinion gear and leave the plastic spur gear...........
AKASlawhammer

Hey slawhammer...... I use a steel pinion from innovative..... If your bashing the hammer...leave the plastic spur gear and get a alloy spur gear carrier....this will be the cheap weak link in the drain train.

FG 48t spur gears are the same as the hammers