RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Giant Scale Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/)
-   -   off road racing (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/8247192-off-road-racing.html)

kingpin123 12-15-2008 07:13 AM

off road racing

which is better for off road racing. 2wd drive model or 4wd?

and do you think the 2wd fg baja is good for off road racing? or should i get different buggy brand with 4wd to race?

i know the fg baja 4wd is so much money, but can the 2wd fg baja race good on the offroad?

SAVAGEJIM 12-15-2008 09:47 AM

RE: off road racing

ORIGINAL: kingpin123

which is better for off road racing. 2wd drive model or 4wd?

and do you think the 2wd fg baja is good for off road racing? or should i get different buggy brand with 4wd to race?

i know the fg baja 4wd is so much money, but can the 2wd fg baja race good on the offroad?

It depends on teh track conditions. If you are running on rather flat ground with not too many turns and not to crazy of a jump, a 2WD will be okay. You can race with the 2WD, and many people actually do.

4WD has so many more advantages though. You can come out of turns very easily due to traction vectoring (think of it like thrust vectoring in airplanes).
The front wheels will actually pull the vehicle into the correct direction in a turn, where in a 2WD, only the rear wheels are pushing and thus encouraging only straight-line forward motion.
4WD also give you twice the flight attitude control that 2WD does. So, when you are in mid-flight from a jump, 4WD allows you to pitch teh nose up or down twice as easily as what 2WD would. This is necessary to control you landing so that you do not have to waste time recovering from a bad landing, thus improving your lap times.
4WD also gaurantees you also get 4wheel braking. A single brake disc will stop all 4 wheels. On 2WD, you only get stopping power to teh rear wheels. (You can however by front disc brakes for teh FG so that you can get 4wheel braking).

Foxy 12-15-2008 04:58 PM

Up to now, pretty much all 5th scale racing on or off road is 2wd. A few clubs are starting to do some 4wd but it's not really taken off yet.

4wd is better for off road, no question about it. In the hands of an excellent driver, a 2wd can still be equally competitive, but all things being equal, they can simply get on the power earlier. On-road is another story though.

The 4wd FG Baja should be faster round a track in everything except pick up down the straight. In my own opinion, the extra challenge represented by 2wd off roaders makes them more fun, but if you don't want to commit that level of concentration, then 4wd is for you.

mooman007uk 12-15-2008 06:14 PM

I thought, when i dumped my 4x4 nitros and bought my fgbaja, i'd want a 4wd conversion straight away but like foxy says 2wd, once mastered, (or kinda) is muche grande fun, if you've ever bashed a full size 2wd and 4wd truck off road or 2wd and 4wd quad you'll know what we are getting at...swinging the back out and drifting round corners always puts a:Don my face and when you can do that with your 1/5 scale you definitely be smiling.
I have just bought a rampage MT 4x4 for rougher terrain bashing but will never give up my 2wd baja.

whizzy 12-15-2008 08:00 PM

i started out with a 2wd fg monster truck and leopard sold them bought the mcd baja 1000 and sold that purely because i missed the 2wd and the challenge and fun they give u once mastered so i bought a fg baja and a hpi baja ss and i wouldnt go back to a 4wd fifth

kingpin123 12-16-2008 07:13 AM

so you will loose speed with 4wd versus the 2wd?

Foxy 12-16-2008 07:39 AM

Short answer, yes, I won't go into the long answer, as we talked about it via pm, you know my thoughts.

Rotating mass is everything in our cars, and the 4wd cars simply have more of it.