RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Giant Scale Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/)
-   -   MCD MT tires with inflation valves!!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/8280710-mcd-mt-tires-inflation-valves.html)

tom111 12-25-2008 08:54 AM

MCD MT tires with inflation valves!!!

1 Attachment(s)
Hi guys,

Just received today my new MCD MT tires & they all had a nice surprise at the rear side – an inflation valve! Much better than the previous version with the needle… the valve is identical to the one on a real car, it did came with a pump but I can inflate them at the gas station or with a compressor & that way maintain an identical pressure in all 4… :D :D :D

bryan70546 12-25-2008 10:39 AM

RE: MCD MT tires with inflation valves!!!

now thats cool :D

tom111 12-25-2008 10:58 AM

Hi Bryan, if I’m not wrong you also had some hard time with the needle & sealing the hole after inflating the tires, now it should be much better… [8D]

SAVAGEJIM 12-25-2008 11:21 AM

Those MT tires look great! Is it possible to simply buy teh wheels separate from the RC? I tried to do a search on the net, but only whole RCs show up.

mooman007uk 12-25-2008 12:24 PM

i reckon you'll need to balance them now, with the valve weight on the one side might be a bit of vibration

SAVAGEJIM 12-25-2008 12:31 PM

I dont think that should be too hard. By calculating teh centroid of teh mass of the stem and the distance from teh axle line of that centroid, you can calculate the equivalent moment of inertia that must be on the opposite side. Thus, you can calculate the correct weight that must be glued on the other side of the inside of the rim.

bryan70546 12-25-2008 01:39 PM

ORIGINAL: tom111

Hi Bryan, if I’m not wrong you also had some hard time with the needle & sealing the hole after inflating the tires, now it should be much better… [8D]
Nope not me , I never tryied the air in the tire thing did not see a benefit for it so I never fooled with it. Just ran my truck for a little while and then sold it.[:o]

tom111 12-25-2008 02:35 PM

You can buy only the tires, you do not have to buy the entire car, here is a link to a place that have them, just make sure that they have the version with the valves, this is the newest version that was just recently released, if they do not have that so you can order that from the store I bought from (the second link), they are located in Germany, very nice people & no issue with the international shipping.

http://www.innovativehobby.com/index...PROD&ProdID=34

http://webshop.rc4fun.net/

SAVAGEJIM 12-25-2008 06:49 PM

You can buy only the tires, you do not have to buy the entire car, here is a link to a place that have them, just make sure that they have the version with the valves, this is the newest version that was just recently released, if they do not have that so you can order that from the store I bought from (the second link), they are located in Germany, very nice people & no issue with the international shipping.

Thanks for the links! No wonder my searches on the net didnt yield anything, the British have a funny way of spelling "tyre," and the other link is in German, and I do not have the slightest clue of how to say"tire" in German! :D

clubin 12-25-2008 07:00 PM

My how have I existed for so long without these. Those wouldn't last 10 minutes in the gravel pits, they'd be ripped off.

scarletboa 12-26-2008 12:28 AM

if the rims are plastic like that, then yes, they would last a matter of minutes in a place with rocks. you could solve that by getting sidewalls for the rims. You could make your own pretty easily. but that kinda defeats the purpose of having the valve in the first place.

tom111 12-26-2008 03:32 AM

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

Thanks for the links! No wonder my searches on the net didnt yield anything, the British have a funny way of spelling "tyre," and the other link is in German, and I do not have the slightest clue of how to say"tire" in German! :D

The guys from Germany were extremely nice! They are the distributors of MCD in Europe, they have everything in stock, great prices, fast shipping
& most important great customers service & communication, so you can just email them to [email protected] (of course in English…) they do get paypal, and in a matter of days you will get the package.

They also have the latest MCD cars & since they are located close to Turkey & are the biggest distributors in Europe they have good relations with MCD so you wouldn’t get from them things like EVOIII with EVOII diffs & all other annoying things that happened to some people, I got the tires with the valves before they were even announced or sold anywhere else…

Good luck,
Tom

SAVAGEJIM 12-27-2008 12:37 PM

Another question, and this is more just for my own curiosity: What is the benefit of an air filled tire versus a foam filled tire? I am for some reason thinking that the air filled tire might be too hard for 5th scale RC application, unless the tire is not filled to a very high PSI.

Nutech GmbH 12-27-2008 08:44 PM

The tire looks great, how it works? do you have video?

mooman007uk 12-27-2008 08:53 PM

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

Another question, and this is more just for my own curiosity: What is the benefit of an air filled tire versus a foam filled tire? I am for some reason thinking that the air filled tire might be too hard for 5th scale RC application, unless the tire is not filled to a very high PSI.
I reckon if you inflate them too much you are going to bounce, low psi would be better so i can't see any advantage over foams..mcd should just give people foam inserts instead of making life difficult.

tom111 12-28-2008 04:17 AM

Nutech GmbH – I don’t have yet a video of tem, I will post when I will shoot one…

SAVAGEJIM & mooman007uk – I think that air inflated tires are not such a bad idea, after all this is how real cars & trucks works, what MCD are trying to do is to reflect reality as possible… also you can adjust the PSI based on the ground that you are driving, we all know that when driving on sand a low pressure tire will handle better & this can be done with these tires… in the foam tires you have different compounds (this is what I have in my FG) soft / medium . hard, here you get it all in the same tire… the navigability with this tire will be better since he will climb the obstacles & not like a foam tire where the obstacles will squeeze the tire in…

ophirw 12-28-2008 07:59 AM

Hi Tom

can you post a picture of the MCD tires VS the FG?

tom111 12-28-2008 01:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here they are...

ophirw 12-29-2008 03:08 AM

nice paint job!!!

the MCD tires are really big

SAVAGEJIM 12-29-2008 09:30 AM

Nutech GmbH – I don’t have yet a video of tem, I will post when I will shoot one…

SAVAGEJIM & mooman007uk – I think that air inflated tires are not such a bad idea, after all this is how real cars & trucks works, what MCD are trying to do is to reflect reality as possible… also you can adjust the PSI based on the ground that you are driving, we all know that when driving on sand a low pressure tire will handle better & this can be done with these tires… in the foam tires you have different compounds (this is what I have in my FG) soft / medium . hard, here you get it all in the same tire… the navigability with this tire will be better since he will climb the obstacles & not like a foam tire where the obstacles will squeeze the tire in…
Thanks so much for teh perspective. I have only run foam wheels on all of my RCs, 5th, 8th, & 10th scales. If I wanted a different gripping ability due to the hardness of teh foam, I had no choice but to built a complete different tire set with softer foam and tires with softer compound (to get a softer sidewall).

I really like the idea of being able to vary your tire softness and hardness with teh simple use of a hand pump.

tom111 12-29-2008 10:05 AM

This is at least how it should be in theory, on this weekend I plan to check it on reality… :D

mooman007uk 12-29-2008 11:07 AM

keep us posted, reason I think they may bounce when pumped up pretty hard is the tire construction isn't like a real tire which has bands or cords that stiffen and absorb alot of the shock; tires on rcs are also over size akin to real monster truck tires and they bounce pretty good. I just can't help thinking of a pumped up basket ball bouncing.....of course if they not pumped up too hard then it'll be like a half flat basketball and just plop onto the ground.
So I would think once you find the right pressure they should work pretty good. It'll be interesting to see.

tom111 12-29-2008 12:50 PM

I plan to do a lot of testing till I’ll find the right pressure, I will update…

Thanks.

tom111 01-18-2009 05:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

Just an update on the tires - I went out yesterday with the car & the tires & they were absolutely great! I inflated them just a little bit with a hand pump, they were not too bouncy & were perfect both in high & low speed.
Some of you suggested that I might face some balancing issues due to the valve that is only on one side, so I tested that, I lifted the car on a small chair & squeezed the throttle to full speed & the tires were all stable, the car was stable there were no special vibrations so it seems like a good deal, also the tires are really thick & there is no air running out from them…

Here are some photos…

mooman007uk 01-18-2009 01:15 PM

Tom that truck is embarrassingly way too clean...you need to find some dirt:D...good to hear the tires work....do they balloon much at WOT