RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Giant Scale Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/)
-   -   What kind of oil do you use? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/8330150-what-kind-oil-do-you-use.html)

GT100 01-07-2009 01:43 PM

What kind of oil do you use?

Some one suggested that I run Benol in my engine to get a little more performance. I went to a local motorcycle shop that carries it but they were all out and they tried to push some 927 on me. I know the Benol is used around here on quads and dirt bikes as is the 927 but is it ok for the smaller engines? Or will the 927 be fine? What do you all run? Im currently running Klotz in my motors and they seem to run just fine.

BTW, my motors are ESP full modded/stroked 27.2 and the same but in a 30.5.

Thanks

slawhammer 01-07-2009 01:57 PM

RE: What kind of oil do you use?

927 is a good oil.. any good quality syn oil is good....Amsoil Blade ...I my self like Klotz..has a good smell to it as well..
I would suggest buy a higher dollar permium 2 stroke oil....if you can..Many 2 stroke oil's choose from...AKASlawhammer

speedy.d 01-07-2009 01:58 PM

i like klotz thats about all ive used. but iw ould also be interested to see what others are using and if there is a difference in power from one oil or another.

speedy.d 01-07-2009 02:00 PM

yeh klotz does smell good!

str8jailbird 01-07-2009 02:40 PM

Another vote for Klotz! Ran it for years in my dirtbikes and quads. I also picked up 7 quarts of Golden Spektrum (paid $20 for all of it!:)) from a fellow at work so I am in primo 2 stroke mix for years!

GT100 01-07-2009 04:13 PM

:) I thought it was only me that found Klotz to have a sort of pleasant smell. Can just rely on smell thought. I need power [:@]

bajamaniac69 01-07-2009 04:27 PM

klotz again here..............no issues

hellya 01-07-2009 04:30 PM

some info......I use amsoil

Synthetic Motor Oil Gets All New Semantics (published in Car and Driver by Patrick Bedard)

Now that the meaning if "is" has gotten so slippery you need to grab it with both hands, we'd better keep an eye on longer words, too.

One's already got so squirmy on us- "synthetic," as in synthetic motor oil.

Most guys know two things about synthetic oils. First, the price is three to four times that of conventional oils. Second, they're not real oil, not made from crude.

News flash: Scratch that second part. Now motor oils derived from crude may be labeled "synthetic." But they still cost over four bucks a quart.

Bait and switch? That's the obvious conclusion. Except in this case the advertising ethics people have given their approval.

Here's what happened, according to a detailed account published in the trade magazine Lubricants World. Late in 1997, Castrol changed the formula of its Syntec "full synthetic motor oil", eliminating the polyalphaolefin (PAO) base stock (that's the "synthetic" part, which makes up about 70% by volume of what's in the bottle) and replacing it with a "hydroisomerized" petroleum base stock.

Mobil Oil Corporation, maker of Mobil 1, "Worlds Leading Synthetic Motor Oil," said no fair and took its complaint to the National Advertising Division (NAD) of the Council of Better Business Bureaus. NAD often arbitrates between feuding advertisers on their conflicting claims.

The notion behind synthetic motor oils as we've known them is an elegant one. Instead of relying on the cocktail of hydrocarbons contained in crude oil, why not go into the laboratory and build the perfect base stock from scratch, molecule by molecule, and builds it till it gets 10-carbon molecules, then combines three of those to form PAO. The result is a fluid more stable than the usual base oils derived from crude. It keeps flowing at low temperatures. It's more resistant to boiling off, and more resistant to oxidation, which causes thickening with prolonged exposure to high temperatures.

Still, there's more than one road to the point B of improved stability. Petroleum refiners in recent years have learned how to break apart certain undesirable molecules - wax, for example, which causes thickening of oil at low temperatures- and transform them by chemical reaction into helpful molecules. These new hydroisomerized base oils, in the view of some industry participants provided properties similar to PAO's but only cost half as much," Lubricants World reported.

The argument before NAD tiptoed around the obvious- does the consumer get four bucks' worth of value from each quart of synthetic oil?- and plunged straight into deep semantics. Mobil's experts said "synthetic" traditionally meant big molecules built up from small ones. Castrol's side held out for a looser description, defining "synthetic" as "the product of an intended chemical reaction."

What do unbiased sources say? It turns out that the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) and the American Petroleum Institute (API) both have technical standards covering motor oils, and both of these organizations in the '90's backed away from their old definitions of "synthetic," leaving lots of room for new interpretations.

In the end, NAD decided that the evidence constitutes a reasonable basis for the claim that Castrol Syntec, as currently formulated, is a synthetic motor oil, said Lubricants World.

The obvious question now: Has the term "synthetic motor oil" been opened up to the point that it no longer means anything? Maybe. But here's a better question: Did synthetic ever mean what we thought it meant?

"Great oil" is what most guys think it means. "At that price, it's gotta be great stuff!"

Okay, but how great? Your cars manual tells what motor oil you should use, and with few exceptions, that description will consist of only two specifications. One is for viscosity, such as 10W-30; and the other is for the API service grade, SJ being the current one for gasoline passenger cars.

The buck-a-quart multi-grades meet these standards, as do the synthetics.

The synthetics, on the back label, claim compliance with more standards, but even if you know what they mean, they seem beside the point for U.S. passenger cars. For example, should you care about diesels if you drive a gasoline burner? API service CF is the oldest of the current specs for light-duty diesels; some synthetics list that one. Synthetics may also list ACEA A1 and B1, which are European specs roughly equivelant to API gasoline and diesel specs. The Europeans grad their oils by level of performance, so that A2 and A3 are tougher specs than A1. Same for diesels. Usually the date of the spec is omitted, but A1-98 is newer than A1-96.

Completely absent is the one performance claim that would have some real meaning for all of us- some indication of longer oil life. (except for AMSOIL which clearly states 25,000 miles/1-year or 35,000 miles/1-year for their Severe Service 0W-30 synthetic). Automakers hold synthetics to the same oil change intervals as conventional oils. And the oil companies, promise even less. "To give added protection and life to your engine, change your oil every 3000 miles." This same language appears on the back of both Penzoil Synthetic and conventional oils. Valvoline synthetic makes a similar recommendation. (commentary: Since 1972 AMSOIL is the ONLY synthetic oil manufacturer in the world to guarantee 25,000 miles or 35,000 mile oil change intervals and utilizing full PAO synthetic technology exclusively).

Synthetics do get one unambiguous endorsement: Corvettes, Porsches, Vipers, and all AMG models from Mercedes-Benz come with Mobil 1 as the factory fill.

Most synthetics mention GM 4718M in their list of claims; that's the unique spec created by General Motors for Corvette oil. It's a high-temperature requirement that tolerates less oxidation (thickening) and volatility (boil-off) on a standard engine test called Sequence 111E according to engineer Bob Olree of GM Powertrain. (note: AMSOIL 0W-30 far surpasses GM's 4718M spec).

But don't expect to learn such details on any label (again, except for AMSOIL which clearly states test results on the back of every bottle of Series 2000 0W-30 and 20W-50 synthetic). Mobil 1 at least uses straight forward declarative sentences. Most of the others read as though they were written by a lawyer looking for an escape clause. Why else would the following claim be so rubbery? "Penzoil Synthetic motor oil is recommended for use in all engines requiring ILSACGF-1, GF-2, API SJ, SH, or SG, and in engines requiring oils meeting GM 4718M." Okay, but does it actually pass those standards?

"Yes" says James Newsom, Penzoil's motor-oil product manager.

Castrol Syntec, on its label, "exceeds" every standard it mentions. Hmm. Now that the meaning of "is" is in play, I have to wonder, does Syntec meet those standards as well?

"It does" says Castrol's Julie Ann Oberg. While I have her on the phone, I ask if there will be a Syntec price reduction now that the lower-cost base stock has been substituted for the old synthetic. She says no.

End of article.
Texas Synthetic Lubricants
Harlingen, TX
1-888-250-8760

Z_Pilot 01-07-2009 06:06 PM

I use Motul 800 2T. 100% synthetic

46u 01-07-2009 08:19 PM

You want a blend of synthetic and castor. They are talking about nigto fuel in this cut and past but same thing as with gasser when it comes to the oil part!

he oil portion of the nitro fuel blend is very interesting. Over the years, there has been much debate and changing recommendations. First there was castor oil. Then there were synthetics. Some fuels have been blended with all castor oil and some with all synthetic oils. Today, most nitro fuels contain a combination of both synthetic and castor oil. Castor oil is a naturally occurring oil that is derived from a plant. It is a natural lubricant that has some very unique properties. When subjected to higher temperatures, castor oils will actually begin to break down. Normally, this would be a bad thing for a lubricant to do in an internal combustion engine. However, in the case of castor oil, this "breaking down" is one of it's greatest strengths! When castor oil breaks down at high temperatures, it's properties change and it's high temperature lubricating properties actually increase! As engine temperatures go up further, the castor oil continues to break down and forms a lubricating film that actually protects the engine better. In the process, this film or residue (like varnish) can also gum up the engine and cause other problems. On the other hand, synthetic oils typically are much cleaner and normally do not leave residues behind. Synthetic oils can help lubricating metal surfaces at higher RPM's when temperatures are lower. However, when temperatures rise, synthetic oils can break down and actually burn off leaving little protection for the engine. So, there are strengths and weaknesses of both castor and synthetic oils. Thankfully, most modern rc trucks run on nitro fuel blends that utilize the strengths of each type of oil, and contains a blend of both castor and synthetic oils to help offer maximum protection for the nitro engine under many different conditions.

hellya 01-07-2009 08:49 PM

ORIGINAL: 46u

You want a blend of synthetic and castor. They are talking about nigto fuel in this cut and past but same thing as with gasser when it comes to the oil part!
No this article was written for Amsoil ......this is the rest of the article promoting Amsoil synthetic :D;) Why would I show a article on nitro gas?

Now, after reading that why would anybody in their right mind want to spend their hard-earned money on Castrol Syntec, Penzoil Synthetic, Valvoline Synthetic or any of the other "synthetics" when what your getting is not even a true 100% full PAO synthetic? Even Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic uses multiple base-stock technology by blending other synthetic molecules with the PAO base-stocks and then they come up with a catchy name of Tri-Synthetic. Pretty sneaky huh? AMSOIL moved away from multiple base-stock technology over 20 years ago!, yet Mobil makes it sound like their Tri-Synthetic technology is some new earth-shattering technology. What a joke!

Why not skip all the hype and deception of these other manufacturers and just use AMSOIL? AMSOIL uses only 100% full synthetic PAO technology in each and everyone of its motor oils and is the undisputed leader in synthetic engine oil technology as well as the leader in synthetic gear lubes, transmission fluid, greases, two-cycle oil and many other lubricants and hydraulic fluids. Today, virtually every other motor oil manufacturer has recognized the superiority of synthetic lubricants and has followed the AMSOIL lead with introductions of "synthetic" motor oils.

sheograth 01-07-2009 09:33 PM

Klotz here, though most recently I used some of the HPI stock stuff.

mooman007uk 01-07-2009 09:37 PM

belray H1R from the dirtbike shop at 32:1, one of the best 2 stroke synthetic racing oils on the market

hndaman1 01-08-2009 09:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Honda HP2 pro 2 stroke oil:D

46u 01-08-2009 07:39 PM

ORIGINAL: hellya

ORIGINAL: 46u

No this article was written for Amsoil ......this is the rest of the article promoting Amsoil synthetic :D;) Why would I show a article on nitro gas?

Now, after reading that why would anybody in their right mind want to spend their hard-earned money on Castrol Syntec, Penzoil Synthetic, Valvoline Synthetic or any of the other "synthetics" when what your getting is not even a true 100% full PAO synthetic? Even Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic uses multiple base-stock technology by blending other synthetic molecules with the PAO base-stocks and then they come up with a catchy name of Tri-Synthetic. Pretty sneaky huh? AMSOIL moved away from multiple base-stock technology over 20 years ago!, yet Mobil makes it sound like their Tri-Synthetic technology is some new earth-shattering technology. What a joke!

Why not skip all the hype and deception of these other manufacturers and just use AMSOIL? AMSOIL uses only 100% full synthetic PAO technology in each and everyone of its motor oils and is the undisputed leader in synthetic engine oil technology as well as the leader in synthetic gear lubes, transmission fluid, greases, two-cycle oil and many other lubricants and hydraulic fluids. Today, virtually every other motor oil manufacturer has recognized the superiority of synthetic lubricants and has followed the AMSOIL lead with introductions of "synthetic" motor oils.

First of in nitro fuel there is not any gas in it. :eek: Second when it comes to lubrication on a 2 cycle engine whether fuel or gas it is basically the same. Your cut and past is from someone trying to sell there oil![X(] The cut and past I listed is from an article that is not trying to sell anything.:D I Tried Amsoil in my 4 stroke motorcycle ONCE and will never run it again. Been a motorcycle mechanic and machinist for over 30 years.

Here is the link that I posted the cut and past from.
http://www.rc-trucks.org/rc-nitro-fuel.htm

Run what you want but I will not run full synthetic in my nitro or gasser RC.;)

wave waker 01-08-2009 09:23 PM

i'm using klotz...and mix with castor oil just for the smell..

side question guys, what brand of oil thus make the smoke smell like in motocross?..i know when i add castor oil i can get the smell but i don't want to keep doin this..

hellya 01-09-2009 03:18 AM

ORIGINAL: wave waker

i'm using klotz...and mix with castor oil just for the smell..

side question guys, what brand of oil thus make the smoke smell like in motocross?..i know when i add castor oil i can get the smell but i don't want to keep doin this..
Try using coleman camping fuel insted of gas the smell is gone[sm=thumbup.gif ] mix whatever oil you use as normal

....edit.... never mind you want the motocross smell:D

tom111 01-09-2009 03:25 AM

I use Motul 800 2T synthetic, it is used in race bikes in Europe & in competitions, so it is great for the RC engines…

tom111 01-09-2009 03:27 AM

BTW - What’s the percentage of oil that you use? I usually use 1:25 (4%), but should it be different while running a new motor? And afterwards? Or should I always use 1:25 ratio?