RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Giant Scale Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/)
-   -   Bob Stormer, scratch built Monster Project. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/9408228-bob-stormer-scratch-built-monster-project.html)

cumquat 01-14-2010 04:42 AM

RE: Bob Stormer, scratch built Monster Project.

is that what doc used to control the delorean?

da mad maori 01-14-2010 04:45 AM

no used the earlier model... :)

Bob-Stormer 01-14-2010 05:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The lights are here! Piaa 004xt, these:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PIA-0492/

I'm very happy with the scale relationship to the body. They run at 55 watts. I'm contemplating running them off of a 4s lipo pack. Probably the big Reedy 5000mAh.
https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...=cs&pn=ASC0720

4 x 55 watts = 220watts. 220/14.4volts = 15.3 amps constant draw. that's a dead 5000mAh pack in about 19 minutes. That should be good enough.

I tested these tonight... WOW!!! Piaa's claims of producing light of about 110 watts is very fair. These things are bright, with great range.

Bob-Stormer 01-14-2010 05:35 AM

ORIGINAL: da mad maori

here is another big ass servo i found a while ago to maybe rival the tone 050...
abit pricey though
http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1390

I found a video for that servo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJRaFd-wKB0

sam123 01-14-2010 07:53 AM

Hey man I'm really loving this build!

The all-steel construction along with those beautiful looking welds makes it look very strong and clean.

Keep up the good work [8D]

Soloratov 01-14-2010 11:09 AM

Bob, just wanted to clarify.....I was kidding. Inside joke for the older members here. I am still planning on using a 110cc mini wheeler motor for my truck. I always figured, if it can pull teh 4-wheeler and a person, it can pull the truck. I like the electric motor idea though. I am a fan of the electric vehicles, especially in the neighborhood I live in. Obviously an engine is more fun, and will weight less than a bank of batteries. Love the lights as well, just don't roll that baby!

dudecat 01-14-2010 03:40 PM

So i am assuming 4wheel steering too? How about 4wheel indepent suspension? Basically copy what the real monster trucks use for suspension. This gives me an idea oh wait i am to lazy to build something like this. I like what your doing and please keep us updated how the build goes.

Bob-Stormer 01-14-2010 09:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Soloratov

Bob, just wanted to clarify.....I was kidding. Inside joke for the older members here. I am still planning on using a 110cc mini wheeler motor for my truck. I always figured, if it can pull teh 4-wheeler and a person, it can pull the truck. I like the electric motor idea though. I am a fan of the electric vehicles, especially in the neighborhood I live in. Obviously an engine is more fun, and will weight less than a bank of batteries. Love the lights as well, just don't roll that baby!
we're cool. :) I plan to put the roll bar stuff around the lights to protect them. Like the full size boys do.
http://www.rorysoffroadsupply.com/me...nt_baja_17.jpg

ORIGINAL: dudecat

So i am assuming 4wheel steering too? How about 4wheel indepent suspension? Basically copy what the real monster trucks use for suspension. This gives me an idea oh wait i am to lazy to build something like this. I like what your doing and please keep us updated how the build goes.
So far, only 2wd and independent front suspension. I don't want to get to much more complicated on this one. :) I'm only building this one, so I can build the next one. ;)

ttr125fan09 01-14-2010 10:15 PM

this looks amazing sofar!!!:D:D:D

Bob-Stormer 01-14-2010 11:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Motor plate:

1/8" 6061 aluminum. Slotted for motor and chain adjustment and countersunk the screws so I can have a flatter surface if I need to mount stuff there. Held on with (4) 4mm screws to a 1" strip welded across the bottom of the chassis.

Bob-Stormer 01-14-2010 11:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Servo arm:

This was more involved than it looks. 1/8" aluminum, 3mm metric hardware to hold it to the original Hitec servo horn (I like small metric stuff, more teeth per inch). Studs for the rod ends are 3/16" or 10-32.

For scale, I tossed a 1/12th scale servo in the one photo.

Bob-Stormer 01-15-2010 12:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Front suspension:

First pic is the start of a tie-rod. I came really close to welding nuts on them, but it took away some of the clean and limited the amount of space for the shocks. Tie-rods ended up being about 6.5" long. I welded 3/16 nuts to the hollow tubing. Smallest thinnest items I've welded in a while. All the shock pics are mock ups. I'm still up in the air as to whether I'm going to mount them to the lower or upper arms. The'yre more correct on the lower arms, but look better on the upper arms as they tie into the upper frame, sort of ties it all together better. AND, it's getting heavy. I'd have more opportunity for weight loading if the shock were further out on the upper arm.

Bob-Stormer 01-15-2010 12:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
more front suspension:

Bob-Stormer 01-15-2010 12:12 AM

Front suspension:

Video of movement. Everything is still kind of loose, but it gives an idea of what it's likely to be doing. Looks like 2.5" of travel. Very little if any bump steer. Tie rod and suspension arms are similar in length.

subscribe to our YOUTUBE channel so you can follow the whole video series. [sm=thumbup.gif]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDg7sSLVxQk&feature[/youtube]

Bob-Stormer 01-15-2010 12:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Rear suspension mounts:

Gave myself a little room for adjustment on these with some extra holes.

Bob-Stormer 01-15-2010 12:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Rear Sprocket:

ansi 25 chain. Took the sprocket off of an electric scooter. using a 1" gokart disc brake hub. Turned down a lip on the hub so the sprocket would locate. Then drilled and mounted the sprocket to the hub.

C.lyra 01-15-2010 04:57 AM

Wow, i´m impressed.... looks so cool. And you are quick also.... Is this what you do for a living???

troppo 01-15-2010 05:05 AM

Very impressed mate, i wish i had access to some of the toys you do. A lathe and decent tig would look so very nice in my shed (so would a lot of other tools though;) )
:D:D:D:D:D

Bob-Stormer 01-15-2010 05:14 AM

ORIGINAL: C.lyra

Wow, i´m impressed.... looks so cool. And you are quick also.... Is this what you do for a living???
Nah, I'm a "wannabe" professional fabricator. I do enjoy fabrication, especially the hard stuff, the "do it on the fly" stuff. :)

I own a company a few of you are probably familiar with though, been doing that for about 25 years. ;)

da mad maori 01-15-2010 07:13 AM

thats PLENTY of travel in the front suspension!!! what are you worried about :D
you shouldnt need anymore that that.... looks very cool
just a sugestion... ditch the hitec and go straight to the tone servo you were talking about..... that hitec will last 5 mins with those wheels and that weight
im think the same goes with the shocks..... but you never know....

:)

Bob-Stormer 01-15-2010 02:55 PM

I'm gonna rough it with that servo out of curiosity. I have a plan ready for mounting the Tone when and if the Hitec dies. Those Integy shocks... I feel they'd be to small if you were going to be jumping it, never surive with those little plastic rod ends. On the rear, looks like I've ditched them to try something else with more travel. Maybe pics on that by Tuesday. :)

quarterscalelegends 01-15-2010 02:59 PM

You can increase the rear travel with cantilevers.

Bob-Stormer 01-15-2010 04:59 PM

I think I've got it to 8 - 10" without cantilevers. ;)

more pics soon. :)

da mad maori 01-15-2010 08:17 PM

are the shock shaft ends threaded?? if so you could replace them with steel rod ends
and get another set as well so thats 2 shocks per wheel... might be strong enough then?

jmwright75 01-16-2010 11:20 PM

Very cool Bob I would love to see this when you finish it. Like always you have great ideas.:)

john