Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Radian Pro - A new e-glider from Parkzone

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Radian Pro - A new e-glider from Parkzone

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 12:33 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Radian Pro - A new e-glider from Parkzone

Parkzone has released a follow-on product to the highly successful Radian called the Radian Pro. This is a full house 2 meter e-glider. It comes receiver ready or bind n fly. Shipping won't start until November but the specs make it look like a winner.

BnF model
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...480#quickSpecs
Video
http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...PKZ5480_Hi.wmv

Radian Pro BNF

Key Features

[*]5-channel control - throttle, aileron, elevator, rudder and flaps[*]Powerful 480-size 960Kv brushless outrunner motor installed[*]E-flite® Pro 30A brushless ESC installed[*]Ready to fly in minutes[*]Durable, lightweight and repairable Z-Foam™ construction[*]Spektrum 2.4GHz DSM2 AR600 receiver installed[*]3S 11.1V 1300mAh Li-Po battery pack included[*]2- to 3-cell DC LiPo balancing charger included[*]Requires a full-range DSM2 aircraft transmitter (sold separately)[/list]

Needed to Complete

A 5+ Channel DSM2 compatible Transmitter

A programmable 6+ Channel DSM2 Transmitter is required for advanced sailing mixing functions

Old 09-24-2010, 05:28 PM
Frede2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Radian Pro - A new e-glider from Parkzone

Not for me.
I've recently ordered two Radian PNPs for safety's sake.
Phil
Old 09-25-2010, 11:55 AM
epoxy123

Thanks for the head up on this, it does look like a winner. Can't wait to pick one up.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:49 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

aeajr,
I think they should send you one to review. You certainly have demonstrated ability to fly as well as write. I can't think of any one who is more enthusiastic about developing new flyers.

OzMo
Old 09-26-2010, 06:47 PM
aeajr

I think they should send me one to reveiw too.  I could do a 2 Radian review, right next to my original Radian.  
Old 09-27-2010, 08:10 AM
Frede2

ORIGINAL: aeajr
I could do a 2 Radian review, right next to my original Radian.
WHAT? You have the original radian? How valuable is that? LOL

I just completed a new Radian PNP with an AR6200 and a 1000 mah Lipo pack for a backup. I've had two nonreturned flyaways lately.
I can't wait for a clam day to evaluate. I'm hoping on the light weight will reign superior.
Phil
Old 09-27-2010, 08:34 AM
aeajr

I think the original Radian will remain popular. It has to be the best first glider available. They did so much right.

I would not use the Pro as a trainer. All that stuff adds complexity and the flattened wing means less stability.

Radian's, everyone should have two.

Edit:

Also note that once you become comfortable with the original Radian you are not done! Not by a long shot. This is not likea trainer power plane where you have to move on to learn more about flying.

Now you are ready to really learn thermal soaing and the original Radian is an outstanting thermal soaring glider whether you are a new pilot or an experienced thermal soaing pilot like me. Thermal soaing is not about flying the plane as much as it is about working the air.

Just as fishing is not about cranking the reel on the rod, it is about knowing and working the fish, the fishing areas and knowing where and when to fish. You can get fancy equipment but the real fisherman can do it with a drop line.

Thermal soaring is not about the flying, it is about the hunt. Finding that elusive, invisible quary. Knowing where he is likely to live and where he is hiding. Seeing the trail he leaves and feeling when he moves by.

So it is with the Radian and later the Radian Pro. The more advanced plane gives you more to learn and more to try but when you get into it, it is about reading the air, knowing the weather, feeling the wind, sensing the termperature changes, watching the birds and the insects, the fultter ofthe leaves on the treesand working those thermals.

You don't need a $1000 glider to do that. They may do it better but they don't do it 10 times better than a Radian. So don't write that Radian off as below your talent. I have several high end competition gliders. I fly in glider contests all the time. I was in two days of regional glider competiton this past weekend.

But, when I go to the field next weekend, I will bring the Radian too. And at some point of the day I will put away my $1000 gliders and the winches and retrivers. And I just maypull out the Radian and go thermal hunting, and Iwill enjoy it ... a lot!
Old 09-27-2010, 02:48 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

I have two as well.
I was driving out by Franklin, Tn. and saw several buzzards circling (I think one of 'em was old). Curious I went to investigate. As I came near the area the buzzards were flying over I noticed more buzzards in a tree. Even more curious now I slipped into hearing range and overheard one buzzard saying," I think I'll wait 'til those guys up there fly down and try 'em first". I looked down near their tree and saw two Radians [sm=wink_smile.gif]..... Just kidding LOL

Good lift! OzMo
Old 09-27-2010, 06:25 PM
Frede2

ORIGINAL: OzMo
I was driving out by Franklin, Tn. and saw several buzzards circling
Good lift! OzMo
I live in Franklin, TN but fly mostly in Nashville parks.
Let me know the next time you are around and we'll get together if you were seriously here or not.
I'm retired from work, but not from soaring.
Phil
Old 10-09-2010, 12:35 PM
airplaneclem

You say that theRadian Pro wouldn't be a good trainer.... Do you mean trainer or first glider plane?Because I fly alot of speed and aerobatics, but I've never flown a glider before. Would the Pro be a good introduction into gliding? Or should I get the Radian Original?
Old 10-09-2010, 05:52 PM
Frede2

ORIGINAL: airplaneclem
Would the Pro be a good introduction into gliding? Or should I get the Radian Original?
IMHO, if you want to float around and catch thermals, then the original Radian is the way to go. Otherwise ...
Phil
Old 10-10-2010, 07:53 PM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: airplaneclem

You say that theRadian Pro wouldn't be a good trainer.... Do you mean trainer or first glider plane?Because I fly alot of speed and aerobatics, but I've never flown a glider before. Would the Pro be a good introduction into gliding? Or should I get the Radian Original?
Thermal soaring is VERYdifferent from other forms of flying. The primary skill is not in flying the plane. The primary skill is reading the air. So, you may fly 3D and pattern and be world champion. That won't help you much here.

So the difference between the R/E nature of the original Radian and the full house Radian Pro is not the ability to do aerobatics, it is the options you have to work that air IF and only IFyour radio can handle the surface mixing.

The original Radian is, in my opinion, one of the best thermal trainers around. It really reports lift well and is very easy to get into lift and to work it. Because the plane is simple, the pilots focus is on the air and the lift, not the controls, flight modes and all the switches.

The Radian Pro will provide additional options when working lift.

Case in point. I just returned from a 2 day thermal soaring competition - pure gliders off winches. I fly in Sportsman Class.

The top pilot in Sportsman for the two days was flying a Super AVA, a R/E glider like the Orignial Radian. The Super AVAalso has spoilers.

I took Second on Sunday flying a full house Supra. The top pilot on Saturday was also flying a full house plane.

The guy who won, won with a simpler plane because he can read air better than I can. I can do things he can't do, and he still beat me.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:47 AM
e wright

if i were to write a book on soaring, i would have to say i would use your philosophy on soaring Ed !
do you think the flaps on the pro are for thermaling more than landing.
it seems a bit much for a 2 meter to have all those control services.

im in the process of making a radian a pure sailplane.(motor free)
im thinking of putting the servos up front an adding some carbon fiber on the eliptical part of the wings
for added strength on the hi start.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:15 AM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: e wright

if i were to write a book on soaring, i would have to say i would use your philosophy on soaring Ed !
do you think the flaps on the pro are for thermaling more than landing.
it seems a bit much for a 2 meter to have all those control services.

im in the process of making a radian a pure sailplane.(motor free)
im thinking of putting the servos up front an adding some carbon fiber on the eliptical part of the wings
for added strength on the hi start.
The benefit of havnig ailerons and flaps is the ability to have a somewhat curved wing, providing dihedral, while still maintaining full trailing edge control. If you had ailerons alone you would lose the control of the inner wing shape. If you went full width ailerons then the wing would have to be flater to accomodate the aileron.

Both are valid configurations, but having them split gives you design flexibilty in the shape of the wing.

As for what the flaps are for, they are for both.

Consider the flight of a termal glider and what you might do if you had the controls. This is taken from the Novice Lounge of the Eastern Soaring League:
http://forums.flyesl.com/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=14

Let's walk through a flight:

Launch - Flip that switch for our launch setting and send the plane up the
launch line. At the top of the launch we will turn this off so that we are
in normal cruise mode. We are now 400-600 feet up and looking for lift.
Let's go hunting!

We spot some lift and we start to circle. We flip on Elevator-flap mix,
E-F, so when we pull elevator slightly, we get a tiny bit of flap to help us
climb smoothly in a thermal.

We lose the lift so we turn off E-F and go hunting again. We hit some fast
falling air, sink. We want to run through some sink, so we flip our
camber/reflex preset on, flaps and ailerons move up a little, and the plane
moves quickly through the sink. When we are in more buoyant air we flip
this off.

We catch some lift and circle up again and turn on E-F to rise in the
thermal. We have been in this thermal for 20 minutes or so. We hit about
1000 feet and have ridden the thermal about 1/2 of a mile down wind. Time
to head home and prepare to land. During our return run we will fly in
cruise or we might turn on that camber/reflex preset again to help us
penetrate through the head wind. Remember we have no motor so we are flying
upwind in a glide.

OK, time to land. We set up for an approach into the wind. We want to have
more energy than we need to make it to the landing mark because a gust might
hit us and rob us of energy causing us to fall short. As we finally get
close and are confident of making the landing zone, we can start to use that
Crow mix to lower flaps, raise ailerons and mix in elevator to keep the
plane level or slightly nose down. As we judge our speed we may go full
crow to "put on the breaks" so that when we touch we are moving slowly and
will not overshot our mark.

Cool?

That was written as part of setting up a sailplane on an Optic 6 radio. The mixes mentioned here may not be the mixes Iwould use today, but you get the point. With full trailing edge control you can reshape the wing, in flight, to change its flight character. That is the key difference between the original Radian and the Pro. Of course with more controls you can make more mistakes, some of which can cause crashes. And, you need a radio that can do this kind of mixing.

Do you need all those fancy mixes? No! But if you have them you can do do mroe things.

On my full house gliders I typically have a launch mix, a cruis mix which is basically no mix, a speed or reflex mix and a thermal mix. Iwill have aileron/rudder on a switch so I can turn it on and off at will. Iwill have an aileron-flap mix so the flaps wil follow the ailerons, usually at around 50% down and 10% up compared to the aileron movement. I will have a landing mix that is on the left stick that controls flaps to elevator. Idon't use crow anymore. And Iusually have 2 or three rate/expo settings. These are all based on a Futaba 9C Super.

Is that a lot? Some of my fellow sailplane pilots may have more and more complex set-ups than I have. And some fly on simpler radios. The skill is not how many switches you have but how you use them to optimize the flight of the glider.

You can set up the Radian Pro on a DX5e and fly it for years. Your control will be more limited but you can still soar that plane for long satisfying flights.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:50 AM
launched_high

uh i think ill stick with the cularis
Old 10-21-2010, 10:53 PM
e wright

thanks Ed, i just wanted a good opinion on it.
thanks for the info on your radio setup ,its nice to know how someone else uses there swiches
on the transmitter. i have have a evo 9 mpx so i have a lot of option. i may look into the radian pro.
thanks again.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:44 PM
cloudwalker

What about the new art tech a.s.k.21, befor you all go out to buy the radion pro take a look at the a.s.k. 21, it looks cool. Bill
Old 11-09-2010, 09:26 AM
Frede2

ORIGINAL: cloudwalker

What about the new art tech a.s.k.21, befor you all go out to buy the radion pro. Bill
Yes, it looks cool.
But, will it thermal?
Will the Radian Pro thermal well?
Isn't soaring like an eagle what we want to do?
Phil
Old 11-12-2010, 09:35 AM
austintyler

Ed, how do you think the extra 100 grams or so will affect the Radian Pro?
Old 11-13-2010, 02:38 AM
Skysailor51

I purchased the standard Radian a couple of weeks ago locally.Yesterday, it was the first time I flew theglider for about 3/4 of an hourand the 1300 mah battery needed about 500 mah to be fully charged again. So I guess I might have had 'thermal help.'

I dont know the measurements of the Radian Pro but it would be wonderful if thePro wing could fit in the standard Radian and was going to be marketedseperately.
Parkzone would make a lot of modellers very happy.

Skysailor51
Old 11-13-2010, 07:40 AM
Frede2

ORIGINAL: Skysailor51

I dont know the measurements of the Radian Pro but it would be wonderful if the Pro wing could fit in the standard Radian and was going to be marketed seperately. Parkzone would make a lot of modellers very happy. Skysailor51
You would still have to change Rx.
And one heck of a lot of wirintg.
Phil
Old 11-21-2010, 05:24 AM
lovter

Hi everyone,
I got sick of waiting for a multiplex EasyGliderPro so when Parkzone announced the launch of its Radian Pro, I jumped at it. Modelflight delivered a PNP version and I maidened it this w/e. We appear to be one of the first countries to take shipment - nice for a change.
Generally it is a dream. Docile but with the ability to turn on a dime to chase that bit of lift.
It comes with all servos, control rods fitted, with a 30Ah ESC and 950kV motor. Just fit your own battery, receiver and transmitter.

The only thing I have changed is the prop. It comes with a strange sized folder- a 9.5x7.5 which is barely enough to launch in level flight. Climbing is a struggle. I changed it to a 10x8 and then ran the wattmeter over both configuratioins using a 3S 1800Ah battery.
At full throttle, with the 9.5x7.5 it gave 13.42Ap and 160Wp with 30oz static thrust.
At full throttle, with the 10x8 it gave 21.75Ah and 244.4 Wp with 40 oz static thrust. Motor warm, ESC cold.

It looks the goods and flies well. I'll get the hang of the flaps and "crow mix" this week.
Cheers,
Tezact
Old 11-21-2010, 04:03 PM
LeoS

Anybody out there that has programmed a full house Radian Pro with the Hitec Aurora 9 Radio ?
I am trying but are running into difficulties.
Leo
Old 11-22-2010, 09:24 AM
aeajr

SETTING UP A RADIAN PRO ON THE DX5eAND THE AR500 RECEIVER
Your DX5e absolutely has all the controls needed to use all the features of the Radian pro. You won't be able to do the fancy surface mixing that at the expensive radios can do but you can absolutely fly the Pro on the DX5e and the AR500. And, if you set it up as I suggest you will be able to do more than you might have thought.
I will be laying out controls based on Mode 2, the most commonly configuration used in North America. Mode 1 or 3 would place things differently but the effect is the same.
Pitch and roll - right stick
yaw and speed - left stick
ELEVATOR stays on right stick as pitch goes on the right stick.
AILERONS - AR500 has a built in "Y" cable so it has two aileron channels. You can just plug in the ailerons in the aileron channels assuming that they are set-up facing opposite each other, which is what I would expect. You will control these from the right stick which is where primary roll control always goes regardless of what surfaces you have.
*Rudder - moves to the left stick. This is true of every plane that has ailerons. Rudder now becomes your yaw control which goes on the left stick. You now have finer control of the Radian Pro than you had of the Radian because Yaw and Roll are no longer coupled.
Throttle and Flaps - Where to put them on the DX5e?opcorn: Well, that depends on you and your intent.
If you are more of a power plane pilot, then you put the throttle on the left stick and the flaps on the switch. The flaps will need a Y cable which may be included with the Pro. That means you use the throttle a lot and the flaps are only used as brakes just before you land. Nothing wrong with this, but this is not the way I would set it up.
If you are more of a glider pilot then you put the throttle on the switch and the flaps on the left stick. I am more of a glider pilot so that is what I would do. To me flaps are more than brakes, they help me reshape the wing in the air to control speed and glide path. I want fine control of the flaps.
I only use the motor to climb so it is on or off in 30 seconds typically. I really don't need fine control on the throttle so I would put that throttle on the switch. In fact many high end competition e-glider pilots with expensive radios and planes put their throttle on a switch. Power on/power off is all you need.
With the flaps on the left stick I have fine control of the flaps and that means I can use them for full glide path control as well as braking. Flaps would be neutral with the stick all the way forward. If you think of this as a speed control, flaps neutral is my high speed position for them. Left stick pulled all the way back is my low speed or stopping position. That is the standard way to set them up on a glider.
If I find lift, I can apply a very small amount of flaps to increase the undercamber shape to the wing in a thermal and to climb more quickly. That means I would pull the left stick slightly toward me, back, to bring the flaps down a couple of mm or about 1/4". On my Futaba 9C sailplane radio I have this on a switch, but using the DX5e I would just move the left stick a little.
If I am up high and want to get down I can ease in more flaps to help me bring the plane down steeply without gaining a lot of speed. I might not put them full on, depending on my goals, my distance from the field, etc. I have fine control so I use it.
As I am coming in for a landing I can ease the flaps in and out as needed to control the glide path for a precision landing. Remember I am a glider pilot so the idea of using the motor on approach is not part of my flying style.
I might even be able to work out a way to raise the flaps slightly for a reflex position to enhance penetration into the wind. I would set up some kind of mechanical stop on the throttle. Perhaps a piece of wood stock that is taped on the radio. When it is flipped toward me it would stop the stick from going all the way forward. I would adjust the flaps so that tis would be flap neutral.
When I want reflex, I flip this block out of the way allowing the stick to move all the way forward. This would be set up to have the flaps raised up 1-2 mm. Now I have reflex for wind penetration or high speed glide out of sink. Believe me, glider pilots were doing this kind of stuff long before there were computer radios.
As you can see a DX5e and the AR500 can be used to fly the Radian pro and you will have advanced controls as compared to the orignal Radian. You won't have crow, you won't have full trailing edge camber control and you won't have flap to elevator mixing.
FLAP TO ELEVATOR MIXING - As you apply flaps you increase the lift of the wing. If you have a computer radio that can provide automatic flap to elevator mixing then you mix in some down elevator as you apply flaps. Even basic computer radios like the DX6i have this mix. Otherwise the nose of the Radian Pro will "balloon" up and the plane will tend to stall. Without this mix set you have to do this with your right stick manually.
If you are flying the DX5e or other standard radio without mixes you will need to learn to apply some down elevator whenever you apply the flaps. If you don't you may find yourself crashing a lot. This is true whether you have the flaps on the switch or the left stick. It is a learned process and after a while it becomes automatic. But this is one reason people like computer radios. They do this for you.
So, as far as the flaps go, I am just not sure if you will need a Y or a reversing Y on the flaps as I don't know what is included. The manual does not say and I can't find a photo of the bottom of the plane to see how the servos are faced.

Radian Pro Spektrum DX6i and DX7 Set-ups

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...5#quickSupport

Old 11-25-2010, 11:22 AM
NCHeliHead

Stupid newbie question, but what do you plug into the 6th channel of the receiver if your setting up crow. You already have throttle, aileron, elevator, rudder and flaps. What do you split ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.