Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

32 minutes on my BBXL today

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 02:09 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 32 minutes on my BBXL today

Hey gang,
I know many of you do this all the time but I have been working on my thermalling skills and got the best flight so far out of my Sky bench BBXL today. Launch was from 50' rubber 200' foot +-string hose monster 3m high start.
I got up around 1200 feet twice in the flight. Not quite specked out. I had an experienced pilot time me and another club member was out as well.
It was wierd though, all the stuff in the CDs and books for finding a thermal appeared after I was in good lift. The milk weed tufts, bugs, small birds, vultures and misc other floaters were every where. Then they were gone when I landed. Several other good flights this morning but that one rocked!
I have mostly been flying a 2m modified GL this summer but it is in the shop for a fence rash repair. I have been sorting out the 3M high start for optimum length for the field we fly from and dialing in the BBXL post repairs. Seems to be working well today!
Old 10-05-2010, 02:18 PM
sjgoulet

Default RE: 32 minutes on my BBXL today

Great job Dave, 32 minutes is just the beginning for you.....just wait till ya have one hanging up there for an hour. Havent been able to get out much, work seems to get in the way most of the time. We still need to get a big group together and fly!!!. Still looking for some descent slopes to go play on but they seem to be in short supply around here i guess i need to go further south down your way. Anyway have a great day and good job.

Steve
Old 10-05-2010, 04:31 PM
OzMo

Hi S,
Ya I'm still grinnin'! We have a couple new members and one of 'em has a winch. Haven't tried it yet though. Tuesday mornin' glider flyin' has pretty much been Bill and myself. But occasionally up to four or five.
How about an informal glider Sat AM on of these fall mornings soon?
Old 10-10-2010, 05:33 PM
OzMo

OH I almost forgot......................

THANKS RAY!!!
Old 10-10-2010, 07:29 PM
snuts

30 Min is a Long time! I've done it a few times. I'm working on my Silver Pin here in Canada, Canadian Soaring Society. Which requires 4 - 30 Min+ Flights, and 2 - 60 Min+ Slope flights. After recording a couple of the thermal tasks easy enough, then can a few months of 22 - 26 min flights. Did I say 30 min is a long time!

Stay pumped!

Congradulations, Snuts.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:24 PM
OzMo

Thanks Snuts,
How is your slope situation up there? I could not tell from a glance at the map if your west enough for mountains. But a float flyer ought to be happy up there with all those lakes!