Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

AR6200

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 10:13 AM
Marniesman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AR6200

Is or has anyone else had problems with the spektrum ar6200 receiver?? I have one that came with a dx6i and on several occasions I have experienced a completeloss of control of the plane. This lasts a couple of seconds, then all is back. The first time I changed the esc, the second I changed to ubec, the third time I took out and replaced what I knew to be a slightly suspect servo, and yet today, it did it twice, the first time I had enough altitude to give time for a recovery, the second ( on approach!) it was too late, and my lovely wik condor now needs some bench time ... again!! I use the transmitter with ar500s on all my other planes, and bar once, have never experienced white out like this. What do we reckon??? Just put new batts in the trans thismorn, and a full charge on 4s lipos. Oh, and it's happened at4 different flying sites. There is plenty of room for all bits to be well away from each other, and I'm at the end of my tether.... not least of all cos I love theCondor,( old Wik Modelle motor glider} and seeing it get mashed again is rubbish. Want to know if ar6200s are prone or don't workwell with particular set ups. Any ideas much appreciated. Thanks, Peter

Old 10-17-2010, 08:32 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: AR6200

I use both AR6200 and AR7000 (total of 7) with their remote Rx feature. I have had no problems other than a one-time (presumably) radio hit that resulted in a bag of balsa and covering. I have also sent them all to Horizon Hobby to have the firmware validated and upgraded to the latest flavor. The only cost to me was shipping to Horizon - they covered shipping back to me. In one case they returned a new Rx - not the original sent. No note as to why.

I'd give Horizon tech support a call and get their input.

With that said do you have a picture of your "mounting" approach? The idea is to separate the primary and remote Rx's as much as the wire will allow AND orient the antenna of the remote 90 degrees to the main. If the main's antenna are oriented up/down then orient the remote left/right.

Oh yea - I am NOT an electric kind of guy (wet fuel only)

Consider the source of this info
Old 10-18-2010, 05:36 AM
Marniesman

Thanks for in put. Note, I'm in  the uk, so sending to Horizon, or even calling them is a bit much.... time diff etc.  The orientation and distance is all good, set  as it should be, plenty of room in fuz on this 3m span oldie. . This was my first port of call to get some ideas, but will certainly take on board your points and see if I can get some tech help here. As I say, I use ar500s in all my other gliders and  the one Ultimate, and don't have this same recurring prob. They of course don't use the satelite remote. Maybe I got a dud????  Thanks again.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:27 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

There's Tech Support in the UK and also Germany. I would contact them with the problem and get it fixed ASAP

Horizon Hobby UK
Units 1-4 Ployters Rd
Staple Tye, Harlow
Essex CM18 7NS
United Kingdom
Please call +44 (0) 1279 641 097 or e-mail us at
[email protected]

Horizon Technischer Service
Otto Hahn Str. 9a
25337 Elmshorn
Germany
Please call +49 4121 46199 66 or e-mail us at
[email protected]
Old 10-18-2010, 06:28 PM
Frede2

My problem is the opposite of yours, I think.
I own several AR500s and I've experienced several "brown-outs" with some od them, often resulting in crashes.
I sent one AR500 back to Horizon and they promptly replaced it with a new AR500.
The second time I sent an AR500 back to them, they replaced it with an AR6200.
I was so happy with the AR6200 that I've since purchased a second one. I've flown them both with excellent results (so far, cross my fingers).
So. not all results are the same. I wish you great luck with whatever solution you decide upon.
Keep soaring, Phil
Old 10-18-2010, 07:10 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Marniesman

Thanks for in put. Note, I'm in the uk, so sending to Horizon, or even calling them is a bit much.... time diff etc. The orientation and distance is all good, set as it should be, plenty of room in fuz on this 3m span oldie. . This was my first port of call to get some ideas, but will certainly take on board your points and see if I can get some tech help here. As I say, I use ar500s in all my other gliders and the one Ultimate, and don't have this same recurring prob. They of course don't use the satelite remote. Maybe I got a dud???? Thanks again.
oops - beg your pardon for the obvious "miss" - sorry.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:23 PM
Marniesman

Vasek, thank you for the info........ and ye hah, Harlow is only 20 mins from me!!  Seamus, no really, not a prob and thanks again for in put. That's good to know Phil, and yes, there's always that flip side isn't there??!  The good news is that I've nearly put the ol' girl back together, not too bad this time as got control back just before, maybe 6 foot  up, hitting terra firma, so although hard, was belly down, not nose first!!!  I shall be in touch with Horizon  tomorrow and see what they say,  Taking my LS8 out too, got some good winds coming, so I shall indeed keep soaring. Many thanks to all, Peter
Old 10-23-2010, 03:10 AM
Marniesman

Well, got in touch with Horizon, they said send it in for a check up. Got a parcel this morn, (2days later!!) containing a new ar6200 and a short covering note saying there was no fault found with the old one but here's a new one for peace of mind. What an amazing service......... however., where does this leave me???  Do I send the old girl up with everything crossed, retire her, keep changing things????????  I have NO IDEA[]
Might just have to bite the bullet, range check for an age, and if that seems ok chuck her up and see. Wish the both of us luck!!

Old 11-27-2010, 01:31 PM
Marniesman

Finally got out again today.......... with the new ar6200 in situ......... range check, and it failed miserably. In range check mode on dx6i lost signal at around 20 foot, around 5 metres.  Has anyone got  a process I could follow to check things down the line?  I'm seriously thinking of taking the whole lot to Horizon and asking if they could check it all out for me. I don't know where to start or how to implement checks as all seems to be working as far as indication  lights and noise ( connection beeps) from  motor, esc and ubec.  Would like to get a better understanding and knowledge so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in anticipation, Peter 
Old 11-27-2010, 02:39 PM
wind junkie
My Feedback: (1)

If your range check is bad, I would start by rigging up a small test with a plain old 4.8V nicad and bypassing your motor/esc setup. This will eliminate any chance of wierd RF issues with your ESC/BEC. Plug in only one servo (control surface), and do the range check.

If that fails, I would ask if there is any carbon, metal or other RF blocking material in your plane which could be shielding the antenna(s), ( ie, is it an all wood gasbag or FG airframe).? For even more simplicity, remove the RX and antennas, and range check outside the plane. If that fails I would think your TX is to blame. Did you say you had good range checks with other RX's?

If that simplified setup doesn't fail a range check, I would start plugging in things to get back to your first radio configuration which did fail.

I had severe problems with some high dollar spektrum equipment, and was ready to throw in the towel because I mistakingly thought it was "bullet proof" around gasoline motor ignition noise. That was a very bad assumption on my part. In my case the plane always went to last held position and low throttle, as it should.