Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

My first thermal

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 10:46 AM
mccarterj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first thermal

Just completed a Bird of Time with spoilers, pure glider, no motor, maiden yesterday and on about the 10th launch via high start I caught my first thermal ever. Watched it rise for about 4 minutes. I was struck with amazement. I want more...
Old 11-15-2010, 11:30 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: My first thermal

Good job, keep it up, practice makes perfect.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:20 PM
nhogberg

Nice job! It only gets better!
Old 11-16-2010, 12:55 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

It's pretty neat, eh?

It's what keeps thermal pilots coming back for years and years. It's much like fishing. You just don't know what's up there until you cast your lure off into the sky.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:37 PM
1320Fastback

I still remember mine! It took my EZ* almost out of sight before is dissipated/moved on.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:43 PM
teamtigerpaw

Feels like sex. But it's way cheaper. You will have to face the fact that you are now addicted to something you just can't give up. Welcome to the club.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:44 PM
teamtigerpaw

Feels like sex. But it's way cheaper. You will have to face the fact that you are now addicted to something you just can't give up. Welcome to the club.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:27 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: mccarterj

Just completed a Bird of Time with spoilers, pure glider, no motor, maiden yesterday and on about the 10th launch via high start I caught my first thermal ever. Watched it rise for about 4 minutes. I was struck with amazement. I want more...
Welcome to the world of flying on invisible forces. As stated earlier this is like fishing. Ijust love it!

Ask any questions you may have.

I am about to build a BOTkit myself. What was your final all up weight? What hi-start are you using?
Old 12-30-2010, 07:19 AM
mccarterj

I can't remember the weight, but I remember that it came in just about what it should have been, close enough I was surprised, even after I put a bunch of lead in the nose. I built it with no modifications except to install spoilers from icare-rc. Many people modify the wing for strength for winching.

The BOT directions are terrible. Read them several steps ahead all the time for the wing root area. If not for experience building quite a few planes I would have botched this one easy. Have something to release your CA just in case, if for no other reason you likely will glue yourself to the fuse when you get to that part. At least you wont drop it [sm=lol.gif]

I am using hosemonster 3 meter tubing, 50 feet of tubing, 150 feet of line. Would like to double that to get higher but my two flying sites limit my length. Several sod farms around my area, I will find a farmer sooner or later that will let me use their huge fields.

Goog luck with the build. It goes pretty fast.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:56 PM
hound46

I want one, too! Congratulations.