Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

wondering about fling

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 10:15 AM
planefreak123
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: wondering about fling

Ok, I have a question. would it be bad for the fling to launch it off a normal hi start, or would it over stress the airframe?
Old 12-09-2010, 11:00 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The stadard hi-start is not too thick and it may work. I have used mine (Fling) on mine (standard Dynaflite hi-start) but I did a very good wing joint and recoverd it in Monokote which is not as soft as the original covering.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYXK4&P=7
Old 12-10-2010, 07:27 AM
tlar

To risk launching aHL Fling on aregular (standard high start) you need to consider two things.
1. The tow hook strength. Thje fuse on the Fling is rather thin. A fully stretched high start exerts considerable force on the tow hook. I am guessing 15 to 20 pounds . I ceranly woulsd add some epoxy inside .The include quick start is around 2 to 5 pounds. But if your goal is to get higher add a bit more twine to the system.

2. Risk folding the wings. That depends on your technigue when climbing out. The steeper the clinb the more the stress. Reducing the angle of climb reduces the stresses but also reduces your alttude which contadicts the reason for using a standard high start. Fly it with the included quick start until you break the wing after a crash. Then repair the wing adding extra strength in the joint. While you are doing that might as well recover the tail feathers too, get rid of the ugly purple. Use the lightest film you can find.

If you really want to get daring build a new wing with ailerons. I used a carbon fiber arrow shaft as a spar. Balsa ribs. The wing will be a little thicker. Get airfoil pattern fron Charles river HL glider sight. There used to be plans ther for a very good HL of this size just build that wing. I drilled proper sized hole for arrow shaft spar ain the middle of the rib at the spar location.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:33 PM
planefreak123

ok, what would your recommend to use for a wing joint that is stronger than what comes with it? the fling just arrived and I want to replace the provided joint with something stronger right away! I was very pleased with the fling when i got it, it looks like a great plane, I was a little suprised by the size, i knew it would be small, but it is really small I cant wait to build it and actually fly it. the only thing is that obviously its winter right now and really cold, it is possible to catch good thermals even in the cold?
Old 12-11-2010, 06:57 PM
evan-RCU

There are still thermals on cold days... give it a try, you'll have a lot of fun with the Fling.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:01 PM
tlar

If I remember correctly the wing joiner was just plywood. On the larger flings the jouiner is a plywood / aluminum sandwhich. The problem is thaty the joiner hoes into a box that cannot be enlarged. I would make a new one out of solod aluminum. Or carbon fiber laup. Maybe in a pinch out of laminated fuberglass circuit board material. I still would wait until you break the wing then build a new wing from scrATCH.

jUST FLY IT.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:19 PM
evan-RCU

The wing is pretty stout as is. At most I'd Ca a piece of carbon fiber to the ply before epoxy'ing it in. It really does not need it though.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:18 PM
planefreak123

ok thanks guys
Old 12-24-2010, 07:42 AM
norcalflyer530

just browsing and seen a few comments on Hi starts.............. [&o]
dont leave it in a box for 3 years and then expect it to work perfect,
wife is now taking care of me and my black eye from it snapping ... lol
Happy Xmas from
scotland
Old 12-25-2010, 12:31 PM
planefreak123

So i am in the process of building the fling and i was wondering if there is any reason i couldnt secure the tail section with 30 min. epoxy instead of thick CA.
Old 12-25-2010, 03:31 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Question for the guys who have already assembled a Fling. I have a Fling and I've got that GP NiMh 350 mah battery and the only place I can put the battery and have the plane balance out correctly is to put the battery outside the canopy. How do you guys get the battery inside? Add weight to the tail?
Old 12-25-2010, 04:02 PM
evan-RCU

Epoxy is fine.

I have the battery under the wing, behind the bulkhead between the canopy area and the wing area.

This one?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHBB0&P=7
Old 12-25-2010, 04:08 PM
Tom Nied

outside the fuselage? Yes, same battery.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:38 PM
evan-RCU

No, inside. Mine is the same cells but no case, just shrink wrap.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:20 AM
Silvaire
My Feedback: (50)

There is an excellent thread regarding the Fling over on RCG:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=fling

It's 83 pages (1246 posts), but it's really worth taking a look at if you are considering a Fling.

If you are still something of a Ludite regarding batteries (and yes, that would include me), you might consider getting a custom made 400mah 2/3AAA NiMH cell 4 pack from cheapbatterypacks.com in the "Viper" configuration. This style of pack will fit very nicely right up in the nose of the Fling, and the price is a very reasonable $8 each plus shipping.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:58 AM
Tom Nied

I've got the Fling Hand Launch Glider ARF 48.75" and there's no way the battery can fit into, unless I put it in the nose and then add tail weight. I don't think I'm a luddite. I'll check out that thread, thanks.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:12 PM
tlar

I had to build my own battery. Used 4 AA recharables (1000mA) wired them in series taped them togert5her like a block just fit into nose. No tail weght necessary.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:58 PM
Silvaire
My Feedback: (50)

ORIGINAL: Tom Nied

I've got the Fling Hand Launch Glider ARF 48.75'' and there's no way the battery can fit into, unless I put it in the nose and then add tail weight. I don't think I'm a luddite. I'll check out that thread, thanks.
A battery pack made of four 2/3 AAA NiMH cells fits just fine in a Fling (in fact a 2/2 configuration pack of these cells is what is recommended on the Tower website for the Fling). I think the instructions suggest you mount the battery under the wing, but you usually need to add nose weight if you do. I just prefer the Viper 1/3 configuration pack as it fits very nicely in the nose of the Fling.

Regarding the Luddite comment:
I don't think anyone seriously flying DLG's has been using NiMH batteries in quite some time. For a low performance rudder/elevator only sport glider such as the Fling though, their weight penalty isn't much of an issue.

Old 12-26-2010, 02:42 PM
evan-RCU

I am presently using a 250mA 2 cell Lipo and an old DC ESC for just the BEC. Tiny and very light.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:54 PM
Tom Nied

I think I am a Luddite. I was going to Velcro and tape the battery to the top of the canopy to make it balance out.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:35 AM
planefreak123

Flew the fling for the first time and loved it!!! on my second day flying I caught my fist thermal, only flew for about 5 minutes though, because it was the end of the day and the battery was getting low! cant wait to fly it again thanks every body for the help!!!!
Old 12-29-2010, 11:38 AM
evan-RCU

Awesome!!!
Old 04-30-2012, 12:33 AM
Nikolas K

HI ALL!
I recently bought and finished assembly of a Fling HLG.
Whatever you pay you get, I have to say. I was not pleased at all with the quality of the ARF. One half-wing was heavier than the other and the root ribs did not fit well, as if it was from a different production batch! The two wing halves fit was crap and I had to fill the void with epoxy and balsa trim.
Furthermore, the fit of the horizontal to vertical stabilisers was not good (leaving large gap at the root of the vertical stab) and had to put also balsa trims.
Finally, the pull pull control threads were exiting from the wrong side of the boom and they were convoluted. I made the mistake and tied, as per the manual, without untangling them and the elevator was not working properly . So I had to cut everything and use fishing nylon thread to make the system work properly.
The finished weight is 254 grams. The receiver is a Futaba R114f, using two mini 9 gr servos and a packet of Ni-MH @ 400mAh built with four 2/3AAA cells.
One wing, as I mentioned, needs 4 gr ballast weight for transverse balancing. I put it on the bottom surface of the wingtip. Is it worth doing it or I should simply trim it in the air?
Now I expect the first flight tests to see what this baby can do ...
Old 06-20-2012, 02:04 PM
Nikolas K

Well, what I have to say after some time flying the Fling HLG is that it is a very nice design in its flying characteristics! It is a good floater, docile, forgiving, durable and with little practice, easy for a novice in sailplanes. Enjoy a video of one of my flights!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoSeqFmMZmI[/youtube]
Old 06-20-2012, 05:42 PM
Tom Nied

Congratulations. At least you're flying yours. Mine is a hangar maiden in the basement until I figure how I'm going to deal with the battery problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.