Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

NES Caleb

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 04:45 PM
falcondriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NES Caleb

Just put my second Caleb from NSP in the air. The first one died because the directions said to put the CG 3.25" back. That is = to 40% cord. it was uncontrollable. The second one I ordered came with a small paper from Baudis model. They said to put the CG from 30 to 35%. Live and learn

The second one launched great, but in the pull out form a shallow, unpowered dive, the right wing broke half way out. The inspection showed the spar was not glued to the wing skin on the bottom side. There was a bead of glue that had never been pushed into the wing.

I will call Sal tomorrow and ask him what he thinks

Have any of you had a similar problem?

Thanks

Chad
Old 08-25-2003, 01:24 AM
Hoot Gibson
My Feedback: (1)

Default Caleb problems

Did you ever get the problems resolved with Northeast Sailplane /
I like the looks of the Caleb but not after reading your post.
Old 08-25-2003, 10:39 AM
falcondriver

Default NES Caleb

It sounds like Sal (operator of NES) is going to replace the plane. I am not sure about the $100 + Zap Pack that was also lost in the crash. He was going to call me all last week, and I have not yet received his call. I am going to call him this morning.

I will let you know about the outcome.

I have seen a Calib fly. It looks and performs very well in the air! With any luck, Mine will be back in the air soon!

Chad
Old 08-26-2003, 07:32 PM
falcondriver

Default NES Caleb

Sal replaced the plane. The Zap pack (that I got from him) is my problem. It only took , what, 3 weeks?

At least I have a replacement plane

Chad
Old 06-05-2004, 02:42 PM
falcondriver

Default RE: NES Caleb

Finally got my Caleb in the air. With lots of work, I have it dialed in. I was wrong about the CG thing. The suggested CG from Baudis will give you a very forgiving model, but not much fun to fly. Sal's suggestion for CG is closer to what I have come up with, but I can only use 1/2 the control throws on the elevator that he suggested. If I use the suggested elevator control throws, 1/3 up elevator gives a nasty tail stall. I am actualy a little farther aft than Sal said, with much less elevator throw. Now it flys where I point it. I also did a lot of shimming on the front of the stablizer. This got rid of a lot of nose down trim needed to make it fly right.

I am happy with the model. it flys great. fast and slow. I have not flown any other F5F gliders, but if they fly as nice as this one does, I am hooked.

As far as NES, I will most likely never buy from them again. I have made 3 calls on a spinner that has been on backorder from over 6 months ago. They keep saying they will look into it and call me right back. No word yet. I have also tried to get a hold of Sal to ask him some questions on the Caleb. Again, 3 calls over a weeks period of time. Every time I get "he is on the other line, If you give me your number, he will call you right back". Nothing yet.

Just my experiences.