Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

glider kits

Old 03-07-2011, 11:56 AM
mbkite12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default glider kits

recommendations on glider kits beginner to intermediate
i have flown planes and heli but would like to learn gliders
i am planning to buy a radian and poss the radian pro..
just looking to build a kit
i was thinking of the bird of time but that one might be above my pay grade
thanks
Old 03-07-2011, 03:17 PM
jjmretired
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: glider kits

www.arthobby.com
Old 03-07-2011, 06:08 PM
cfircav8r
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you going to fly off a slope, cliff, high start, winch, hand launch? Some of these need a specific type of A/C, some aircraft are capable of several methods of launch. A little info on the type of launch can narrow the field a lot.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:10 AM
mbkite12

Thanks all the few places i can fly is at the flying club or school ball fields and i know of a few lakes no people just bears.
hand launch and poss a high start (looks like fun)
i do have my eye on the spectra,, GL,, or the BOT..
Old 03-08-2011, 05:30 AM
cfircav8r

All of those are great flyer's but will need either a slope or high start. Keep in mind you need a very long area to use a high start. As far as a kit goes the Gentile Lady will be by far the easiest build and is an excellent light to moderate lift flyer.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:27 AM
invertedthoughts

I've heard the BOT wings are hard to build. I personally have one but it was already built when I got it.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:33 AM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

gentle lady as stated above 2 meter and can win contest.tail is stronger than the sophisticated lady.olympic 650 72" span if space is a problem.featured in rcm soaring book
Old 03-08-2011, 12:27 PM
ARUP

Aerosente.com has some nice birds! Islandmodels.ie has a few interesting designs. I tried contacting them but have no reply, yet.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:00 PM
scaflock

The BOT would make a good third or fourth build but shouldn't be taken on by a beginner.  It has some tricky parts to it and might turn someone that has limited experience off from building.  A build should be a fun thing to do, not a second job.

One of the easiest kits to build would be someting like a House of Balsa 2X6.  Easy build and a fairly good flier when trimmed out correctly.  The main trick to building them is to keep it as light as possible in the tail feather area.  It has a flat bottom airfoil which gives it pretty good lift and it can be ballested up when the wind picks up.  Granted it won't handle a full on winch launch, but it's not designed for that.  One of the best points about the kit is that it's not expensive and can be bought through just about any good hobby shop.

Which ever kit you decide to start with, just remember to take your time and build it light and build it straight.  Almost everyone here is willing to give advise if you hit a snag in the build and can also help you fix any mistakes (you will make them at some point) without too much pain.

Jeff
Old 03-08-2011, 04:11 PM
cfircav8r

The Olimpic 650 is a great first build and is strong enough for a beginner to use a 2 meter high start (Dynaflite has a good one.) It is a little heavier than the Gentile Lady, but this is due to the more robust design. The Oly 650 will fly fine in light to moderate lift and with practice and ballast can even fly on higher wind days. The 2x6 is also a good flyer and easy to build but due to the wing design is not quite as strong as the Oly 650, but should also do fine with a high start. You can also put a power pod on the wing, or build it as an electric.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:11 AM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: invertedthoughts

I've heard the BOT wings are hard to build. I personally have one but it was already built when I got it.

I did the Big Bird XL that has the same wing shape and it built nearly as easily as any I have ever built. AND LOOKS COOL. No big deal to build.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:19 AM
OzMo

HI,
I would take a close look at this glider. It has a great design and is specifically looking at the newer builder, yet flies very well AND LOOKS COOL.
Chrysalis and HERE IS A NICE BUILD THREAD to give you an idea of how the building would go.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1393114

It can't be stretched to 4 meters but it could be RED (inside glider pilot joke)[sm=spinnyeyes.gif][sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 03-09-2011, 05:09 AM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Perhaps you should think of your fields first and then pick a glider that can suit the area. If using a up-start or hi-start, any 2 meter ship made from traditional construction will do, (no foamies). If you want a good easy ship to learn on a gentle lady, sig riser or a spirit 2M are all very nice and easy to build. If you take your time and have paitence, you can build a BoT, yes the wing is a little complicated with placement of ply and balsa sheer webs in the center, but it's a pretty straight forward build if you can understand what the plans show and how it's built. My BoT took about 1 month to build in my spare time, I did mods to it and built the speed version, but it's hard to ballast it now due to the thin fuselage. I would recommend a spirit 2M if you want something that can take a lot of abuse and has good all around performance, if you want a thermal hunter, go with a sig riser or gentle lady.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61186.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	306.9 KB
ID:	1575903  
Old 03-09-2011, 06:04 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: planebuilder66

Perhaps you should think of your fields first and then pick a glider that can suit the area. If using a up-start or hi-start, any 2 meter ship made from traditional construction will do, (no foamies). If you want a good easy ship to learn on a gentle lady, sig riser or a spirit 2M are all very nice and easy to build. If you take your time and have paitence, you can build a BoT, yes the wing is a little complicated with placement of ply and balsa sheer webs in the center, but it's a pretty straight forward build if you can understand what the plans show and how it's built. My BoT took about 1 month to build in my spare time, I did mods to it and built the speed version, but it's hard to ballast it now due to the thin fuselage. I would recommend a spirit 2M if you want something that can take a lot of abuse and has good all around performance, if you want a thermal hunter, go with a sig riser or gentle lady.
I'm 100% with Planebuilder, I'd suggest starting with 2-meter ships and go from there as your experience progresses. Also, early-on you mentioned the Spektra, which I believe is electric-powered. That'll lift from almost any reasonable field, and she's a gentle and predictable "fly". Personally, I fly the Gentle Lady, Spirit-100 and BoT but I've got a field as big as some counties so launching isn't a problem. The BoT, I can definitely tell you, is NOT a plane for the inexperienced glider builder.

If/when you DO build a BoT, there are several good threads already established here in RCU. "The Big Wing Buildalong" is one of the best.

Good luck!

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85632.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	1575914   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie98415.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	166.1 KB
ID:	1575915   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65943.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	1575916  
Old 03-09-2011, 10:33 AM
OzMo

If you choose the Spirit read this FIRST[8D]
http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articl...spiritmods.htm
Old 03-09-2011, 03:31 PM
evlwevl
My Feedback: (6)

I also recommend building a Gentle Lady if your looking for a floater. They are easy to modify to take better winch/histart launches such as adding carbon fiber on the spars or modifying to a bolt on wing. One of my favorite ships was one that my former club used for a 1 design contest. That was the Laser Arts Soveriegn. Its a pod and boom ship with a flat center wing panel and very easy to build with the puzzle like constructed pod. I added a center spoiler for more control. I dont think they sell them anymore but they do still make the jester which is the same ship but with a full fuse. I just remember the quality of the wood being very good on the laser art planes.

Sovereign/Jester Wing
[link]http://www.flickr.com/photos/evlwevl/853084313/in/set-72157600905181210/[/link]

Old 03-09-2011, 04:47 PM
OzMo

What evlwevl said reminded me of Mountain Models version of THE OLY II. How can you beat a lazer cut Oly II with modernized foils.
http://www.mountainmodels.com/produc...roducts_id=178

Old 03-09-2011, 07:33 PM
mbkite12

Thanks all all good recommendations now i want to build them all..
That BOT is awesome and thanks for all the links .