Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Getting back into the hobby - advice solicited

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Getting back into the hobby - advice solicited

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 04:38 AM
ynefel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting back into the hobby - advice solicited

Greetings all-

I have been out of the sailplane hobby for over 15 years due to job moves, etc. Life is settling down again and I'd like to get back to hunting thermals. I'm more of a relaxed flyer than a competition one, although I have participated in some.

Where do I start today? I considered myself an advanced intermediate flyer back then ;-) What's a good multi-model computerized transmitter? I used to have Airtronics... I'm particularly interested in electric R/C sailplanes as I see electrics have advanced significantly in this timeframe.

Where is a good online retailer to browse new sailplane designs? I see the NSP website still up, but have also read many cautions about their current business/service.

Thanks in advance,

-Robert
Old 03-12-2011, 04:52 AM
mbkite12

Default RE: Getting back into the hobby - advice solicited

I am new too and my self will start with the two radians and a dx7 from horizon hobby after that will build a bird of time from tower..
Old 03-12-2011, 05:04 AM
av8djc
My Feedback: (4)

Airtronics could still be one of the better choices today. They have a much lower minimum voltage before the receiver browns out. That's a good thing. Buy one you won't outgrow.

The Radian is an all time great airplane for all skill levels. I have an Easy Glider Pro that flies like a three meter open class plane. Either or both would be great.

Relative to prices 15 years ago all this stuff is far cheaper these days.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:10 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

The Radian will get you floating around, the Radian Pro is "full house" with flaps and ailerons.

I like my JR 11X, its got more sailplane functionality that I know what to do with.

If you want something other than a foamy, check out http://www.espritmodel.com
Old 03-13-2011, 03:37 AM
ynefel

Thanks guys for some feedback. The Radian Pro looks like a good re-start & I'm looking at a Spektrum DX6, maybe eventually going up to a DX8 if my model base gets back up there.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:54 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Make sure you get atleast the 6i
Old 03-16-2011, 12:24 AM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

If I were in the market for a radio I would get the Airtronics. Lots of new radio models out recently but Airtronics came out slower with a new model and apparently did a good job of it.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:26 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I second the airtronics, it's super lite and has so much more going for it in the programing department and lower voltage brown-out conditions that it's my #1 choice right now. I started out on futaba, then went to hitec and from there I went to JR b/c everyone swore by them, when I started to feel tired from holding that 6 channel brick I decided to give sanwa/airtronics a shot....I will stick with them, very egronomic and lite. On the heli, I can unlock 5 pitch curves and 5 throttle curves in all 5 settings via 2 switches. I can't imagine the sailplane programing installed.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:01 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You have given us no budget to help guide us so we must assume money is no object.

If I was looking at full house electric gliders I would not be looking at the DX6i. Oh, it will fly the Radian Pro, but it is pretty limited as far as sailplane radios go.

DX7 ( discontinued by may be availalbe) or DX8 would be minimum in the Spekturm Line and the JR 9503 is a true sailplane radio (both use Spektrum technology)

RDS 8000 in Airtronics at minimum and SD-10G is a true sailplane radio

Futaba 7C at minimum and Futaba 8FG for a true sailplane radio.  

Hitec Optic 6 (not sport) at minimum and Aurora 9 for a true sailplane radio.

Each company has models below the minimum I suggest, like the DX6i and each can be used to fly a full house e-glider.  But none have the kind of channel handling or mixes a glider pilot wants.

Only look at 2.4 GHz radios.  Buy 72 MHz only if you are buying used.