Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Where are the reviews on the Fling DLG?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Where are the reviews on the Fling DLG?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 08:49 PM
evlwevl
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where are the reviews on the Fling DLG?

I've started looking at getting into DLG and just for the heck of it came across the Fling DLG. I cant seem to find any reviews of it. At this point ,Ive been going through ever post I can find about DLG's to separate the truth from fiction. I don't have nor do I want to spend more than $400 for a DLG. I would also like to do some light lift sloping off the dunes at the beach with it. I'm still deciding over a built up wing vs. balsa over foam and R/E vs A/E/R. I know I don't want a moulded plane as i like to repair rather than replace if needed.

A few Planes I really like are the Hyper 2 DLG from NES or the Garnet, solo or Catia from soaring USA. I do like the Gambler from Wright Bros, but with my severely busy schedule now, it would end up like every other plane hanging on my ceiling, which is incomplete.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:50 AM
wind junkie
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Where are the reviews on the Fling DLG?

Most sailplane stuff is on the other forum:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=fling

Old 03-13-2011, 05:34 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Did you try using the Search function for the keywords "gp fling" or "great planes fling"? There's many older threads about the GP Fling glider. And while not actually reviews you'll get a wide variety of information about them.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:22 PM
evlwevl
My Feedback: (6)

Ive only found every post on the 48" and 2meter fling which I'm not interesting in. The DLG fling seems to be a ghost of a sailplane because I cant find anything about on this site or others, must not be very popular. General Google searches have only yielded hobby shops that sell the plane.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:27 PM
Cloudsoarer

There are many posts on the DLG Fling on [link]http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=368373&highlight=fling+dlg[/link]RCGroups handlaunch forum - later ones are all negative. Avoid!
There are many posts on what to buy too, read those. Unfortunately there are no recommended RTF DLG's.
They can be very easy to build (see Mimi) but this is essentially a builders' class with at least some assembly required and repairs frequent.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:22 AM
airbrushNC
My Feedback: (9)

Alot of folks hate the Fling DLG, I am not one of them!  I have 2 at all times ready to go!  The control wire exits in side of the boom make this a week area, after I broke the first one, I reinforced the area on the others!  Love the plane the only RC anything my wife has tried to fly, and has enjoyed some success with.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:18 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

As a DLG it is a bit heavy.  Tower lists it at 12 to 14 ounces, but most of the reports I have heard are in the 14 to 15 ounce range.  That is heavy for a DLG.

I have heard a lot of reports of broken tail booms. 

DLGs undergo a LOT of stress so it is hard to make a light, cheap aileron DLG ARF.