Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Thermal Scout Lift Finder for R/C Gliders

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Thermal Scout Lift Finder for R/C Gliders

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 01:22 PM
plane-addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thermal Scout Lift Finder for R/C Gliders

I saw this new product today that recognizes lift. It immediately starts wiggeling it's tail and you can see you have found lift. A little like a vario, but different:

[link]http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=11734[/link]

I hope this can be of use to someone!
Old 06-16-2010, 12:44 PM
MaxAdventure
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: Thermal Scout Lift Finder for R/C Gliders

ORIGINAL: plane-addict

I saw this new product today that recognizes lift. It immediately starts wiggeling it's tail and you can see you have found lift. A little like a vario, but different:

[link]http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=11734[/link]

I hope this can be of use to someone!
Looks great, cheaper than a vario and lighter if you're willing to put up with the waggle. Can be purchased direct: http://www.wingedshadow.com/thermalscout.html

also, here's another thread: rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1226645

thanks for the heads up!
Old 06-17-2010, 07:01 AM
JRinAZMN

I have a Thermal Scout and I love it! Make sure you set it up correctly. I have mine set up on a gear switch. Make sure it is OFF when you high start. Once you're up and off the high start, flip the switch on.. The rudder will wiggle when you hit a thermal. Now turn it off and play in the thermal. If you lose the thermal, turn it back on and search until you see the wiggle. It is amazing how sensitive it is....
Old 08-10-2010, 12:26 AM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Hi,
I just recieved my Thermal Scout today. I will put it in my Gentle Lady.
How much rudder throw for the "wag" ?

It came quite quickly from the direct site BTW.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:32 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

CHEATERS ! ! ! ! !

Personally I find that models respond to lift in so many ways that a tail wag combined with the wing or nose lift would just confuse me. I'd rather just fly the model and experiment enough to recognize what the model's reactions to lift are in a natural manner than to wait for a tail wag. Besides the yaw/roll couple is slow enough if you set it to a wag that won't overpower the model that by the time yo're sure it's wagged and not just responded to a bit of turbulence you could be past the small bit of lift that invoked the wag. Nope, I'll stick with just learning to watch the signs that the model give me naturally when it sees lift. Not to mention that a good way to drop OUT of lift is to wag the tail from the transmitter so the model generates an excess of drag from the yawing and rolling action. And if the lift is strong enough to cause the model to rise while wagging then it should be strong enough to see with your own eyes.

I can see where thermal neophytes will see this and grasp at the promise but truly you don't want anything that moves the controls for you and causes the model to respond in ways that block you from seeing what the rising air is actually doing to the model. For most of the lighter or peripheral lift you'll encounter the wagging will confuse and counfound. For the times where you just fly into an elevator the wagging would be entirely superfluous.

If you truly feel the need for some instrument to confirm that you've found lift go for one of the variometers that transmits a tone back to your ear on the ground.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:30 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Hey gang,
Well I bought one even though I aggree with most of what Mr Mathews said. I think it will work well for finding boundarys of thermal at a greater distance. Also help with new thermalers learning how the plane reacts. As said before one will have to know when to just leave it off.
I suspect as any given pilot becomes familair with a glider he will use it less and less.
I do think playing with it will be great fun.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:34 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Any new reports on the Thermal Scout?

I just ordered one to put on my Radian, which is my trainer plane.  I think it will be helpful in teaching new glider pilots how to find thermals.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:12 AM
aeajr

Installed it the Thermal Scout in my Radian this past weekend.   Works as advertised!
Old 03-24-2011, 11:59 PM
Skysailor51

As aeajr states, the Thermal Scout does work especially for beginners like me. It is of value for me because the typical thermal indicators like circling birds, cloud formation etc are completely missing in this regionwhere I live and work.

The terrain is typically featureless and it is, at least to me, difficult to correlate and pinpoint where lift could be present.

I alsoinstalled the Scout in a standard Radian and the normal flight times were normally about 1 1/2 longer with the device.

Skysailor51
Old 03-25-2011, 03:23 AM
aeajr

By the way, at least under AMA rules, the Thermal Scout would be permittedat a glider contest. I attach the AMA rule book link
The use of thermal sensing devices is covered under rule f on page SO-4, right column.
http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/2011-2012RCSoaring.pdf
f. Thermal Sensor Rule. Thermal sensing devices shall be permitted provided that any such device and the contestant comply with all FCC regulations and that any such device does not interfere with the conduct of the contest. No special arrangement or rearrangement of flight order, established as noted above, shall be made in consideration of such devices.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:00 AM
aeajr

Any other reports on the Thermal scout?