Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Flap Settings on a Blaster 2

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Flap Settings on a Blaster 2

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 05:57 AM
ButteredCat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flap Settings on a Blaster 2

I have a Blaster 2 which until now I have been flying without flaps. I now have flaps enabled but would like to know what would be the best settings for the flaps/elevator. Having never used flaps before this would mean a lot of trial and error for me, but no doubt someone has been there and done it before me.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:34 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Flap Settings on a Blaster 2

Typical is about 30% down elevator at full flaps as a starting point, but this is very very individual to the plane and pilot. Start at around 30% and test it at 100 feet.

You want the plane to slow but not baloon up or dive. If you do this with a flap to elevator mix the elevator will move in proportion to the flaps. Better to have it plane go "slightly" nose down and keep flying than to go slightly nose up and stall. Pure sailplane pilots typically control thisfrom thethrottle stick, side slider or from a 3 way switch.

When using the stick, you have the stick all the way forward ( full throttle) when the flaps are closed. This is your normal flying or cruise position.

With the stick toward you, zero throttle, your flaps would be fully deployed ( stop or breaking)

Depending on your se-up you may not be able to get 90 degree flaps. I think I have my max flaps on my blaster set at about 60 degrees.