Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Looking for a second sailplane

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Looking for a second sailplane

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 11:14 AM
DeferredDefect

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a second sailplane

Hello!

I have been flying my Dynaflite Daydream 2 meter sailplane for a few years now, both handlaunch and on a winch, but am looking for a kit that offers a step up in performance. I am looking for something with a larger span, but still retains the ease of flight as the 2 channel Daydream. Spoilers or flaps would be an added bonus, but only if the aircraft is still "floaty". I'm not interested in heavy, fast sailplanes or a powered glider. (which is an oxymoron...)

Any (inexpensive) aircraft advice would be welcome!

Thank you,

Graeme
Old 04-30-2011, 12:02 PM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Looking for a second sailplane

I's say the Bird of Time. You could build it with just ruder and elevator, though you should ad spoilers to. You haven't seen "Floaty" till you see the BOT float three feet off the ground for the entire length of a 1,000 foot runway! LOL

Your already familiar with Dynaflight so why not stay with them for your next one? http://www.dynaflite.com/airplanes/gpma0570.html

You can get it in,

plans http://www.rcmplans.com/index.php?ma...oducts_id=1565
kit http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYXJ8&P=7
ARF http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYXJ3&P=7
Old 04-30-2011, 12:08 PM
DeferredDefect

Excellent - it looks pseudo-scale too...Thanks for the quick reply!
Old 04-30-2011, 12:19 PM
fudi50
My Feedback: (3)

This probably is more that you want to pay but I'll pass it by you any how. This model is a F/G fuse and built up tailplane and wings has spoilers in wing $250 delivered. If this piques your interest here are the details
This model design is from 1978 Chris Foss a well known English designer and kit Mfr., cam up with this design for thermal/slope use, Chris won the British nationals thermal event with this same design and the model was a prototype.
built this model from plans the wing is open bay structure covered in orange Oracote underside and white opaque on top surface. Fuselage is an original and the canopy was made last year from Lexian. I have been flying it since 2008 off a bungee and winch in club compititions but now my eyesight is failing hence the sale.
Flying the model has excellent thermal capabilities, the rudder is balsa laminate as are the tail feathers Rudder is via pull pull cables elevator all flying is via a torque rod, spoilers are spring loaded and positive opening via servos in stalled hook up via extension in root of wing into fuse male/female. has a large capacity battery for duration ad cc/g balance.
Can e-mail pictures if you want.
Oh! I have flown this on the slope and because the spoilers are so effective landing is a breeze.
Model has scratches on underside of fuse wing has two small punctures on top of wing, Honier balsa wing tips and tailplane show small scuffs from constant use but no structural problems
It has a custom switch that when you remove the plug model is switched on, the removable plug has a charge plug wired into it, it just makes a neat installation.
A s I say if you need picture let me know
David
Old 04-30-2011, 12:38 PM
AmishWarlord

A few of us are doing Bird Of Time builds over on this thread.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10397114
Old 04-30-2011, 12:48 PM
AmishWarlord

Don't hate the powered glider, hate the guy that uses the motor the entire flight rather than just using it to gain a little altitude before shut off and glideing. LOL
Old 04-30-2011, 07:18 PM
DeferredDefect

Amishwarlord - Haha - nice...Yes, I know the type:
"Hey! Watch me torque roll my thermal ship..."

Fudi50 - Your model sounds intriguing. I have heard excellent things of all the Chris Foss designs. I am looking to build my model from a kit, however. Do you know if any of the Foss designs are still available? I know I read a review in a relatively recent RCM&E of the Middle Phase, but have not seen any non-slope sailplanes. I definitely will look into this one. 

Old 05-03-2011, 07:28 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: GraemeEllis

Hello!

I have been flying my Dynaflite Daydream 2 meter sailplane for a few years now, both handlaunch and on a winch, but am looking for a kit that offers a step up in performance. I am looking for something with a larger span, but still retains the ease of flight as the 2 channel Daydream. Spoilers or flaps would be an added bonus, but only if the aircraft is still "floaty". I'm not interested in heavy, fast sailplanes or a powered glider. (which is an oxymoron...)

Any (inexpensive) aircraft advice would be welcome!

Thank you,

Graeme
Step-up or Intermediate Gliders
All sizes - Eastern Soaring League Novice Lounge
http://forums.flyesl.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=275