Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

ST Blaze RxR

Old 06-30-2011, 01:19 PM
Mustang Fever
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ST Blaze RxR

A search turned up nothing on this, so I thought I'd start a thread.

Mine arrived before I awoke at 10 this morning, and I test flew it several times around 3.

It flies just as well as the one in the Tower video, having great acceleration on launch and a very shallow, fast glide.

The only part of assembly that got a bit tedious was trying to get the CG. You'll note that my 2200 3S pack is about as far aft as it's possible to be. She's a touch forward of the handy CG symbols on the bottom of the wing.

I used a Futaba 6EX 2.4 system. First time I've ever dealt with a V tail, and the Futaba took all the work out of that. It uses channels 2 and 4, and all that was necessary after activating it was to reverse the channels to get everything moving in the correct direction.

I set up the flaperon function, and am using maybe 1/4" of flap travel for approach and landing. It helps a little bit, but anything more than that makes the handling all goofy.

I couldn't abide the dumb blue decals, so used various colors of packing tape to trim it and make it more visible. Red/yellow/orange seems to offer a lot of help in this area.

I got it because it's cheap, flies well, and fits into the gap between the motorized Gentle Lady and the motorized Hollison P-51 sloper.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15190.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	1629851   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45326.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	1629852   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12854.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	1629853  
Old 07-01-2011, 04:25 AM
Mustang Fever

Default RE: ST Blaze RxR

There are some posts on other forums regarding the ESC used in this bird. There have been a few failures.

I checked mine after my last landing yesterday, and noted that the heat sink was pretty warm to the touch.

ST put some nice inlet air scoops right behind the prop, but the outlets are kind of small and are mostly blocked by the battery pack. Also, they put an outlet hole right below the motor, where it's not needed and robs airflow from the ESC. I taped over that.

The canopy seemed to be made of some pretty tough, flexible stuff, so the 1/2" Forstner drill bit went into service to add some outlet area.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39508.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	1630113   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54814.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	1630114   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90172.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	1630115  
Old 07-16-2011, 05:39 PM
Mustang Fever

Default RE: ST Blaze RxR

Ha! Crashed it good last week- broke the nose off and thought I had ruined the motor. Put my old Rimfire 400 in it with a 10x6 APC folder. It's two oz lighter and a whole lot easier to balance. Doesn't act like even a warmliner anymore, but it sure stays up a long time.
Still does great aerobatics from a dive, tho.