Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

GreatPlanes SPECTRA

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 03:09 PM
DUCO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GreatPlanes SPECTRA

I have became interested in building a powered glider. I received from UPS today a kit I ordered last week. Now I hope my research paided off, you see I bought the kit since I like to build and I understand this plane to be a entery level glider.
I also ordered a Futaba 4YF Radio w/micro receiver, no servos came with the radio so I ordered 2 Futaba S3114 micro servos, hope these are strong enough to the job, they look awful small to me!
I also opted for a ElectriFly C-35 Mini ESC
GPMQ160 Siren EP Sport Spinner/Folding Prop
GP ElectriFly GD 600 2.5:1 Electric Gear Drive
ElectriFly T-600R 7.2-9.6 V Reverse Motor
Now all this came about after reading about how the motor did and does do the job, but w/adding these options a faster/stronger climb is acheived. @ least that is how I took what I read after Googling Spectra. Most of the post I read where from around 5 to 7 years ago.
Any tips will surely be welcomed. I hope to have this built and ready to fly when I return to Gatlin Berg, TN in the fall.
I am impressed by what I see has come in this very complete kit. GreatPlanes has produced a very nice kit. Anyone who has built/flown, please feel free tp post your photos here of your Spectra.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:33 PM
AviationNut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: GreatPlanes SPECTRA

I electrified a GP Spirit which is essentially the same plane as the Spectra, but comes as a pure glider. I used a Master Airscrew kit that had a 3:1 gearbox, speed 600 motor and 12x6 folding prop. Climbs out pretty well on 8 cell NiMh 2/3A packs (what I had at the time for my Zagi wing). I would suggest a large diameter prop for this plane since you want thrust to get to thermal level, not speed.

I used HS-81 servos in mine - I think those 3114's might be a little too small for this aircraft. The biggest aircraft I've used them on personally is a 41" wingspan Extra.

I also added spoilers to mine, but used 2 micro servos (one for each spoiler) to activate instead of the string deal on the plans. A lot easier to hook up when putting on the wing.

Let me know if you need any pictures or more info. and have fun!
Old 06-07-2011, 02:55 AM
DUCO

Thanks AviationNut for your help and I agree about the servos. I will do as you suggested. Yes Photos would be nice. Feel free @ anytime to critique.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:25 PM
DUCO

ORIGINAL: AviationNut

I electrified a GP Spirit which is essentially the same plane as the Spectra, but comes as a pure glider. I used a Master Airscrew kit that had a 3:1 gearbox, speed 600 motor and 12x6 folding prop. Climbs out pretty well on 8 cell NiMh 2/3A packs (what I had at the time for my Zagi wing). I would suggest a large diameter prop for this plane since you want thrust to get to thermal level, not speed.

I used HS-81 servos in mine - I think those 3114's might be a little too small for this aircraft. The biggest aircraft I've used them on personally is a 41'' wingspan Extra.

I also added spoilers to mine, but used 2 micro servos (one for each spoiler) to activate instead of the string deal on the plans. A lot easier to hook up when putting on the wing.

Let me know if you need any pictures or more info. and have fun!
So would the 3114's work f/spoilers since I have two of and how about a dia or photos of how to install spoilers if possible.
I also was wondering, I do have the 600 motor, but would a Great Planes Ammo Brushless Motor be better since it does not have brushs and what is the number of the Ammo that would be the same as the 600? I hope I am not asking too many question and or request from you AviationNut, this will be my 1st glider!
I did order a set of CF 12x6 folding blades today, the postage was almost as much as the props and they are only coming from one State away?????????[&o]
Old 06-08-2011, 12:37 AM
AviationNut

Yes, the 3114's would work fine for spoilers - I will take some pics of my spoilers tomorrow and post them here.

Brushless is definitely better than brushed, but if you are going to go that route, I'd recommend getting an outrunner instead and ditch the gearbox (that is, the motor will turn the prop directly). For this glider somewhere around 250 watts would be good. Remember you have to buy a brushless ESC as well.

I know you have a 12x6 prop, but not sure of what batteries you're planning to run - if I knew this I (and others, I'm sure) could help you with motor selection.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:01 AM
DUCO

I have for the power source: Great Planes 7 cell 8.4V 3600 mAh NiMH Deans Ultra. The ESC I have is a Great Planes C-35 that is rated f/6-12 nicd and 2-4 Lipo f/Brushed Motors!
I would like to go w/Lipo to save weight, but since I already have the Nihm. What do you suggest f/motor, brushless?
Old 06-08-2011, 12:35 PM
AviationNut

This [link=http://www.allerc.com/hyperion-zs3014-12-turn-1132kv-brushless-motor-p-4591.html]Brushless Motor[/link] or equivalent would be a good match to a 2S LiPo or the batteries you have. The LiPo would be much lighter, so it would climb better and rise in lighter thermals, but wouldn't penetrate the wind as well.

The pictures of my spoiler install are attached. The spoilers are made from trailing edge stock and hinged with book tape behind the main spar. I used rare earth magnets on either side of the spoiler (mated to pieces of razor blade on the wing) to hold it down in flight.

Then just made a wire as you can see for the servo arm to push the spoilers open. This wire is easily adjustable to get the spoilers to open the same amount (on same channel). Since the wire isn't touching the spoiler when not deployed, the servo doesn't draw any unnecessary power. The wire just rubs against a piece of plastic glued to the spoiler (the dark gray deal).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89109.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	1620742   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc91730.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	1620743   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41641.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	1620744   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mf96218.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	1620745  
Old 06-08-2011, 02:45 PM
DUCO

AviationNut, you have been of great help friend and I thank you for all you have shown and intsructed. The spoiler is just way cool and I do dig that motor w/the bearings, now I will have to decide. I have already got the gear drive, a reversed rotation motor and the MasterAirscrew folding prop/spinner, so I guess I will go ahead and use, heck, can always up-date down the road. Hope you don't mind me copying your spoiler set-up, thats the best way I know to tell someone how impressed I am with their work!
Hope to post some photos soon of the building of the rudder, this is where the instuctions start and thats good enough for me.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:33 PM
AviationNut

Thanks for the compliment! Sure you can copy my setup - just remember to do one on each half of the wing

Have fun on the build, look forward to watching your progress.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:56 AM
DUCO

Toooo hOt to work in garage, so will start on my inside project!

Name:	Ay73532.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	1622280  
Old 06-21-2011, 04:31 PM
DUCO

Have been busy and not had much build time, hope to change that after this week![&o]
But I have been gathering a few items. In the photos you will see what I have came up w/for a folding pop.
I started with a ElectriFly GD-600 Gear Drive w/2.5:1 ratio. To this I added a alum spinner assembley from HobbyKing.com. The Prop blabes are aero-naut 12x6 CF and work smooth as silk w/the prop spinner.
For power: ElectriFly T-600R Rev rotation ferrite motor.
ESC: ElectriFly C-35 Mini High Power NiCd/LiPo compatible.
And I have not even cut the 1st piece of balsa yet???????????[&:]

Name:	Ca80598.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	1626045   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg15124.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1626046   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va72389.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	1626047  
Old 07-21-2011, 06:52 PM
DUCO

Well have not posted in awhile, but will say building has started and should post some photos soon. I have been busy with assembling a TF Elder in the garage, but is too HOT[:'(] to stay out there for long, then also have been engrossed with another glider, a Radian. But I am glad to say I am working on the Spectra, this is my 1st constructed glider and I am looking to lighten her up abit, but not too much.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:39 AM
Zor
Banned

Hello DUCO and all in this thread.

Iam in the process of building a GP Spectra.

Am I welcome to join you guys in this thread?

I have quite a few pictures I could post.

Zor

Old 07-29-2011, 01:37 PM
DUCO

Construction has started albeit slow, I have been spending a great deal of time w/a Radian. I do hope to complete the rudder as soon as I get a hing slot machine. I have become sold on the new way of hinging with those funny to me,CA-type hinges, however I have found another glue that I think I will use for attachment (BSI Insta-Flex glue, bsi-in.com). I am pleased w/the quality of the kit and the great set of instructions/drawings that you get w/this kit. However, I keep reading about the weight deal w/this bird. Am trying to come up w/ways to reduce but yet keep heavey enough to mantain control/penetration in wind. This is a issue w/gliders whether powered or not.
The Radian has also a issue with being too lite, you need to add weight w/a metail rod inside the carbon fiber wing spar. I look forward to any and all help as long as we stay with the subject and all benefit from the in-put. I am still fighting about what power source to use, I have spent the funds to purchas a reverse turn can motor w/gear reduction, a new complete folding prop/spinner, but I have used brushless in all other of my birds. But since I have already sprung for this, I guess I will go w/it.
I hope to post photos this week-end.

Keep her in the wind!
Old 07-29-2011, 02:51 PM
Zor
Banned

DUCO,

Thanks ___I will just follow your project postings with the Spectra.

Anyone can always read _ .

Zor
Old 08-05-2011, 05:37 PM
Zor
Banned

All readers,

I am quite advanced in building a Spectra.

I asked if I was welcome to postin this thread initiated by Duco.

my pos #13
Hello DUCO and all in this thread.

I am in the process of building a GP Spectra.

Am I welcome to join you guys in this thread ?

I have quite a few pictures I could post.

Zor

I had no reply so I guess I should remain off this thread.

Zor

Old 08-05-2011, 06:37 PM
EJWash1
My Feedback: (3)

Well, since you adressed "all readers", I'll give it a go...

ORIGINAL: Zor
I had no reply so I guess I should remain off this thread.
WHAT???

Then WHY do you feel a need to post further? Are the crickets NOT chirping LOUD ENOUGH????

The absence of *ANY* comment on the part of the original poster WOULD trigger the realization in any (sane) person's mind that he DOES NOT WANT YOU TO POST FURTHER - GET IT???

There are ABSOLUTELY NO RULES against you starting you own threads on any R/C related subjects. However, there are RULES about you hijacking other's threads. You seem to have a HUGE problem with standing on your own. Give it a go: you can start your own Spectra Brotherhood. Or even a Radian (ARF = TOY, YOUR WORDS...)Brotherhood. You know, like the Waco Brotherhood which you were welcomed into with such warm and open arms. How's that Skybolt Brotherhood coming?

Yet again, you are in the position to be asked to go away and let yet another modeler post and build in peace.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:44 PM
DUCO

ORIGINAL: Zor

DUCO,

Thanks _ _ _ I will just follow your project postings with the Spectra.

Anyone can always read _ [img][/img] .

Zor
?[8D] The idea is to encourage, offer ideas and just have fun. I have no problem with you being apart of the thread! Did not understand your reply, but to each his own, peace out.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:46 PM
DUCO

I promise to have photos up this weekend of the build. I have way too many pokers in the fire!!!!!!!!!!![&:]
Old 08-08-2011, 05:10 PM
Zor
Banned

DUCO
The idea is to encourage, offer ideas and just have fun. I have no problem with you being apart of the thread! Did not understand your reply, but to each his own, peace out.

Hello DUCO,

Acknowledging your post.

You are responding to an old modeler presently building a Spectra.

I have seached for a long time for someone interested and building or having built a Spectra.
Apparently there is not many that have done a Spectra.

I was hoping to have the oppotunity to discuss some aspects of the build.
I am not the type that posts out of topic derogatory posts.

Many thanks for your response.

All the best to you de Zor

Old 08-09-2011, 02:06 AM
Tinkrerpilot
My Feedback: (2)

Ah, come on guys. Make it a dual build. Then you can share ideas, hints and tips as you build. Great way to learn other things as you build.

Sounds like the start of a very good build thread. I have already seen some good input from other modelers. Thanks AviationNut. Nice job on the spoiler setup. Truly a simple way to make them work.

I still have the Spectre that my son built years ago for a model that he could fly. Built by him with a little help from me.
Trimmed it for him. Next launch was a surprise. My friend and I were flying our planes, when we heard the sound of a third motor fire up and launch from behind us. To our surprise, he had tossed another battery in the plane, launched, and was chasing around the sky. All this was only his third flight of any type with a plane. Just like he had been doing it for years.
Truly amazing. He learned fast.

Will post a picture later this week.

Oh, the bird still flys with the 600 gear drive and 7 cell NiMh pack on a 35 amp esc, swinging the stock prop.
Will sneak in on you guys to see how things are going. Most of have fun with it.

tink
Old 08-09-2011, 10:14 AM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: Tinkrerpilot

Ah, come on guys. Make it a dual build.
>
>
>
If this becomes a discussion thread that is fine.
If it becomes a build thread, I do not want to interfere with Duco.

Let us see what happens.

Zor

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...11&postcount=6

Is this link working ?
Yes it works. I just tested it.